Self-catering with a difference: family-friendly yurts and stone cottages (sleeping 2-8) on a self-sufficient and stylish eco resort”
But it’s not just the aesthetics that make Finca de Arrieta stand out from the crowd; it’s also the ethos. English owners Tila, Michelle and their family are so eco-friendly that the entire finca is 'off the grid'. There are wind turbines and solar panels (the latter also powers water desalination) and DIY hens' egg collecting. But sparing the planet doesn’t mean skimping on comfort. Whether you choose to stay under canvas in a yurt or under slate in a cottage, you’ll find comfortable beds, Balinese furniture, hot showers and fully equipped kitchens. There's a solar-heated pool, a chill-out area with daybeds, a super playground with giant chess set and trampoline, plus an honesty shop. This is a quirky rural retreat with a real feel-good factor, ideal for anyone seeking a laid-back holiday off the beaten path.
- A great option for families - yurts and cottages sleep up to 8, there's baby equipment and body boards, plus a pool, trampoline and playground
- Only 300m from a sandy, family beach - one of the best on the island
- Only 35 minutes' drive from the airport
- Super-friendly staff are on site every morning for local advice or activities, including surfing, snorkelling, sea kayaking and boat trips
- A good choice of restaurants beachside and in the fishing village of Arrieta (a 10-minute stroll away); or picnic boxes and deli meals can be delivered to your door
- Don't expect luxury: accommodation is simple and stylish rather than sumptuous
- Most of the yurts are set close together and though they are separated by walls, noise does carry; but we found the atmosphere very convivial
- To reach the beach you have to cross a road and walk down a bumpy track (or you can also access the beach by road)
- The weather in this part of Lanzarote is always bright but can be blustery - a blessing when it's hot
- Gets very booked up - reserve your dates early!
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Cottages & Yurts
- 9 cottages + 9 yurts + 1 large villa
- Self-catering (+ restaurants nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
- Board games
Finca de Arrieta has a huge variety of accommodation, from couple-friendly yurts and stone cottages to family-friendly yurt clusters and spacious villas.
Yurts for 2-4
Set in small private garden areas, the Eco Chico Yurt (sleeps 2) and Eco Palm Yurt (sleeps 2-4) are great for couples. We stayed in the Eco Yurt (sleeps 2-4) - it was well appointed, cosy and furnished with antique Mongolian furniture. All have kitchens and bathrooms next to the yurts.
Buildings for 2-4
Ideal for a couple, the Eco Tower (sleeps 2) is a restored watermill with 360-degree sea and mountain views, an ensuite and a basic kitchenette, plus access to a communal kitchen. The Eco Lodge, Eco Garden Cottage and Eco Casita (all sleep 2-4) are self-contained stone-walled open-plan studios with kitchens, bathrooms and lounge areas. The cottage can also be booked with the Buena Vista Room, which is a great add-on for those with 2 older kids wanting a little independence.
Yurts for 4+
Within private garden areas, the Eco Chiquitita Yurt (sleeps 4) and Eco Twin Yurt (sleeps 4-6) each have 2 bedroom-style yurts and an alfresco shaded dining terrace. The larger Eco Beach Yurt (sleeps 4-9) has an additional palm-leaf covered pod, sat on a raised platform. Our favourite was the tardis-like Eco Yurt Royale (sleeps 4-8). Its interior has 83sq.m of eastern promise, with 2 doubles and 2 single beds separated by drapes. Mosquito nets and Balinese furniture add to the exotic air. Similar in style and comfort is the Eco Yurt Suite (sleeps 4-6). All have private kitchens and shower bathrooms.
Buildings for 4+
The detached Eco Barn and Eco Cabin (both sleeps 4) have a private garden and a lovely bbq terrace. The larger Eco Luxury Villa (sleeps 4-6) has 2 bedrooms (a double and a twin) plus a sofabed. The vast 3-double bedroom Eco Farmhouse (sleeps 4-8) comes with a private plunge pool and a wonderful outdoor lounge area. Split-level studio Eco Surf Shack sleeps 4 adults and up to 2 childen. All have a private kitchen and lounge.
- Extra beds
- Family friendly
- Ipod dock
- Microwave (on request)
All yurts and most buildings have a private kitchen and dining terrace. The Eco Tower is the only exception, with a basic kitchenette (hob, fridge and kettle) plus use of communal cooking facilities. This can work well, as the laid-back atmosphere is conducive to swapping tales around the stove.
The kitchens are very well equipped: ovens, hobs, fridge-freezers, pots and pans, crockery and cutlery. Basic supplies include tea, coffee, sugar, milk, crisps, washing-up liquid and bin bags. There are no high-energy appliances (expect a ring-top kettle), but you can request a microwave.
There’s a small on-site honesty shop with soft drinks and snacks, plus you can collect eggs from the farm's hens. If you’re super-organised, pre-order a basket of local produce: fresh fruit, vegetables, herbs, wine, cheese and jam.
Beyond the finca, fill your fridge with from one of Arrieta’s two small but well-stocked supermarkets (a short stroll away) or the large hypermarket in Costa Teguise (20 minutes’ drive).
Arrieta might be a small village, but its main road and waterfront include some lovely eateries, like the great Chiringuito beachside snack bar and Amancer, which specialises in fantastic fresh fish and seafood.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Family friendly
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Honesty shop
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- Laze on a shaded daybed by the pool, while the kids amuse themselves on the trampoline and in the playground, or stretch, do yoga or Pilates, have a massage in the Eco Zen Yurt
- Say hello to the myriad of animals on site
- Soak up the rays on Arrieta’s sandy beach, Playa Garita, just 300m away. Afterwards, enjoy a long, lazy lunch at the beachside Casa de la Playa Garita (we recommend the garlic prawns)
- Visit neighbouring Punta Mujeres to paddle in rock pools and snorkel in a natural lava-rock swimming pool
- Explore the waves with windsurfing, surfing, body boarding, scuba diving or a sea kayak safari - the fincas can arrange these for you
- Hike or mountain bikeinto the wilds along old donkey and goat paths (take lots of water and sun cream)
- Explore Timanfaya National Park's lunar-like landscape, includeing clusters of volcanic craters and a lava lake
- Zoom over to La Graciosa island in a power boat and have a picnic on one of the area's best beaches (a very memorable day out)
- Go underground at the fabulous Cueva de los Verdes and Jameos del Agua volcanic caves (15 minutes away)
- Visit one of the island's volcanic vineyards, they are like none you’ve ever seen and the wine is pretty good too!
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Body boarding
- Mountain biking
- Scuba diving
- Scuba diving courses
- Table tennis
Finca de Arrieta is extremely welcoming to kids of all ages - they'll be in their element bouncing on the trampoline, splashing in the pool and clambering about in the playground. The quirky accommodation is great for families wanting a fuss-free holiday without a guilty eco conscience, too. During school holidays kids have the run of the place, visiting each other, and roaming around playing together.
Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Larger families wanting a building should consider the Eco Barn (2 bedrooms), Eco Luxury Villa (2 bedrooms), Eco Cabin (2 bedrooms) and Eco Farmhouse (3 bedrooms). Of the yurts, the Eco Yurt Suite and the Eco Yurt Royale each have multiple beds, whereas the Eco Twin Yurt, Eco Chiquitita Yurt and Eco Beach Yurt bedrooms span 2 yurts - good for older children.
Bathrooms in all but most have showers only (baby baths can be provided on request). The Eco Farmhouse, Eco Luxury Villa, Eco Yurt Suite and Eco Yurt Royale have bathtubs.
Babysitting can be arranged on request.
- Baby cots
- Child steps
- Baby baths
- Bath mats
- Changing mats
- Plastic crockery
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The kitchens are fully set up for self-catering. Guests staying in the Eco Tower use communal cooking facilities.
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool
- Kids' playground with little play houses and giant chess set
- Table tennis
- Ducks and chickens to visit
- Toy box
- Movie night by the pool once a week
- Board games
Kids Activities nearby:
- Making sand castles and learning to body board at Playa La Garita and Costa Teguise
- Swimming at Caleton Blanco lagoon
- Paddling in rock pools at Punta Mujeres
- Day trips to La Gracious
Families Should Know:
The track from the finca to the beach is very bumpy and you have to cross a busy road. We don't recommend attempting it with a buggy. The resort is surrounded by walls and set back from the road so parents can relax and leave the kids to their own devices knowing they are safe. Teenagers looking for a bit of neon nightlife may be disappointed here, Arrieta is a small, sleepy village.
- Airport: 35 minutes
- Shop: 5 minutes
Finca de Arrieta is in the village of Arrieta, in northeast Lanzarote. It's just off the main LZ-1 highway, opposite Playa Garita beach.
Lanzarote’s only airport, Arrecife (30km), is 35 minutes away in the island's capital.
From the Airport
Most guests self-drive. Alternatively, you can take a taxi, arrange private airport transfers or catch the bus.
A car is essential if you want to tour the island. Most guests will need to hire a car, and the car company can deliver the car to Finca de Arrieta so guests can drop it off at the airport the day of their departure.
If you don’t plan on exploring the island, you can reach Arrieta by bus. Take one of the regular buses from the airport into central Arrecife, and change onto bus 07, 09 or 26 to Arrieta.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Lanzarote and getting around
- Lanzarote Arrecife 30.0 km ACE
- Beach 0.3 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km