“Self-catering with a difference: family-friendly yurts and stone cottages (sleeping 2-8) on a self-sufficient and stylish eco resort”
But it’s not just the aesthetics that make Finca de Arrieta stand out from the crowd; it’s also the ethos. English owners Tila, Michelle and their family are so eco-friendly that the entire finca is 'off the grid'. There are wind turbines, solar panels and DIY egg collecting. But sparing the planet doesn’t mean skimping on comfort. Whether you choose to stay under canvas in a yurt or under slate in a cottage, you’ll find comfortable beds, Balinese furniture, hot showers and fully equipped kitchens. There's a solar-heated pool, a chill-out area with daybeds, a super playground with giant chess set and trampoline, plus an honesty shop. This is a quirky rural retreat with a real feel-good factor, ideal for anyone seeking a laid-back holiday off the beaten path.
- Fantastic value for money
- A great option for families - yurts and cottages sleep up to 8, there's baby equipment and body boards to borrow, and young children will love the pool, trampoline and playground
- Only 35 minutes' drive from the airport, and 300m from a sandy, family beach
- Guest Relations are on site daily from 9am-1pm and can offer local advice or book activities, including surfing, snorkelling, sea kayaking and boat trips
- A good choice of restaurants beachside and in the fishing village of Arrieta (a 10-minute stroll away), or picnic boxes and deli meals can be delivered to your door
- Don't expect luxury - the Eco Tower doesn't have a private kitchen, and all the accommodation is simple and stylish rather than sumptuous
- Not for those who want complete privacy: the yurts are set close together and though they are separated by walls, noise does carry - but the atmosphere is convivial
- Access to the beach includes crossing a busy road and navigating a bumpy track, but there are torches for after dark
- Expect strong breezes - the weather in this part of Lanzarote is always bright but often blustery
- You might hear occasional traffic from the nearby road
Best time to go
Our top tips
For an alternative dip in the sea head to Caleton Blanco, a lagoon just a few minutes north of Finca de Arrieta on the way to Orzola. The warm, shallow water is ideal for young kids to splash around in.”
- Boutique Cottages & Yurts
- 7 cottages + 8 yurts + 1 large villa
- Self-catering (+ restaurants nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
- Board games
Finca de Arrieta has a huge variety of accommodation, from couple-friendly yurts and restored watermills to family-friendly yurt clusters and spacious villas.
Yurts for 2-4
Set in small private garden areas, the Eco Chico Yurt (sleeps 2) and Eco Palm Yurt (sleeps 2-4) are great for couples. We stayed in the Eco Yurt (sleeps 2-4) - it was well appointed, cosy and furnished with antique Mongolian furniture. All have kitchens and bathrooms next to the yurts.
Buildings for 2-4
Ideal for a couple, the Eco Tower (sleeps 2) is a restored water mill with 360-degree sea and mountain views, a super-kingsize bed, an ensuite and access to a communal kitchen. The Eco Lodge, Eco Garden Cottage and Eco Casita (all sleep 2-4) are self-contained stone-walled open-plan studios with kitchens, bathrooms and lounge areas.
Yurts for 4+
Within private garden areas, the Eco Chiquitita Yurt (sleeps 4) and Eco Twin Yurt (sleeps 4-6) each have 2 bedroom-style yurts and an alfresco shaded dining terrace. The larger Eco Beach Yurt (sleeps 4-9) has an additional palm-leaf covered pod, sat on a raised platform. Our favourite was the tardis-like Eco Yurt Royale (sleeps 4-8). Its interior has 83sq.m of eastern promise, with 2 doubles and 2 single beds separated by drapes. Mosquito nets and Balinese furniture add to the exotic air. Similar in style and comfort is the Eco Yurt Suite (sleeps 4-6). All have private kitchens and shower bathrooms.
Buildings for 4+
The detached Eco Barn (sleeps 4) has a child’s bunk room and a lovely bbq terrace. The larger Eco Luxury Villa (sleeps 4-6) has 2 bedrooms (a double and a twin) plus a sofabed. The vast 3-double bedroom Eco Farmhouse (sleeps 4-8) comes with a private plunge pool and a wonderful outdoor lounge area. All have a private kitchen and lounge.
Off-site Villa for 6-12
In the nearby village of Tabayesco, the new self-catering Casa Volcan is an enormous and much more modern retreat. We're yet to personally view it, but it has a solar-heated swimming pool and 5 / 6 bedrooms.
- Cd player
- Coffee tea making
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob stove
- Ipod dock
- Microwave (on request)
All yurts and most buildings have a private kitchen and dining terrace. If you’re staying in the Eco Tower you’ll use communal cooking facilities, but the laid-back atmosphere is conducive to swapping tales around the stove. Self-catering Casa Volcan is in Tabayesco village (1km away).
The kitchens are very well equipped: ovens, hobs, fridge-freezers, pots and pans, crockery and cutlery. Basic supplies include tea, coffee, sugar, milk, crisps, washing-up liquid and bin bags. There are no high-energy appliances (expect a ring-top kettle), but you can request a microwave.
There’s a small on-site honesty shop with soft drinks and snacks, plus you can collect eggs from the farm's hens. If you’re super-organised, pre-order a basket of local produce: fresh fruit, vegetables, herbs, wine, cheese and jam.
Beyond the finca, fill your fridge with from one of Arrieta’s two small but well-stocked supermarkets (a short stroll away) or the large hypermarket in Costa Teguise (20 minutes’ drive).
Arrieta might be a small village, but its main road and waterfront include some lovely eateries, like the great Chiringuito beachside snack bar and Amancer, which specialises in fantastic fresh fish and seafood. Tila and Michelle can also recommend other restaurants in the surrounding villages.
- Children meals
- Coffee tea making
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob stove
- Honesty shop
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- Laze on a shaded daybed by the pool, while the kids amuse themselves on the trampoline and in the playground
- Say hello to the myriad of animals on site
- Soak up the rays on Arrieta’s sandy beach, Playa Garita, just 300m away. Afterwards, enjoy a long, lazy lunch at the beachside Casa de la Playa Garita (we recommend the garlic prawns)
- Visit neighbouring Punta Mujeres to paddle in rock pools and snorkel in a natural lava-rock swimming pool
- Explore the waves with windsurfing, surfing, body boarding, scuba diving or a sea kayak safari - the finca’s can arrange these for you
- Hike or mountain bikeinto the wilds along old donkey and goat paths (take lots of water and sun cream)
- Explore Timanfaya National Park's lunar-like landscape, includeing clusters of volcanic craters and a lava lake
- Zoom over to La Graciosa island in a power boat and have a picnic on one of the area's best beaches (a very memorable day out)
- Go underground at the fabulous Cueva de los Verdes and Jameos del Agua volcanic caves (15 minutes away)
- Visit one of the island's volcanic vineyards, they are like none you’ve ever seen and the wine is pretty good. too!
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Body boarding
- Mountain biking
- Scuba diving
- Scuba diving courses
Finca de Arrieta is extremely welcoming to kids of all ages - they'll be in their element bouncing on the trampoline, splashing in the pool and clambering about in the playground. The quirky accommodation is great for families wanting a fuss-free holiday without a guilty eco conscience, too. During school holidays kids have the run of the place, visiting each other, and roaming around playing together.
Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Larger families wanting a building should consider the Eco Barn (2 bedrooms) and Eco Luxury Villa (2 bedrooms), Eco Farmhouse (3 bedrooms). Casa Volcan ihas 5-6 bedrooms and is located 1km off-site, with a private pool. Of the yurts, the Eco Yurt Suite and Eco Yurt Royale each have multiple beds in one enormous yurt, whereas the Eco Twin Yurt, Eco Chiquitita Yurt and Eco Beach Yurt bedrooms span 2 yurts - good for older children.
Bathrooms in all but the Most bathrooms have showers only (baby baths can be provided on request). The Eco Farmhouse, Eco Luxury Villa, Eco Yurt Suite and Eco Yurt Royale have bathtubs.
Babysitting can be arranged on request.
- Baby cots
- Child steps
- Baby baths
- Bath mats
- Changing mats
- Plastic crockery
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The kitchens are fully set up for self-catering. Guests staying in the Eco Tower use communal cooking facilities.
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool
- Kids' playground with little play houses and giant chess set
- Table tennis
- Ducks and chickens to visit
- Toy box
- Board games
Kids Activities nearby:
- Making sand castles and learning to body board at Playa La Garita and Costa Teguise
- Swimming at Caleton Blanco lagoon
- Paddling in rock pools at Punta Mujeres
- Day trips to La Gracious
Families Should Know:
The track from the finca to the beach is very bumpy and you have to cross a busy road. We don't recommend attempting it with a buggy. The resort is surrounded by walls and set back from the road so parents can relax and leave the kids to their own devices knowing they are safe. Teenagers looking for a bit of neon nightlife may be disappointed here, Arrieta is a small, sleepy village.
- Airport: 35 minutes
- Shop: 5 minutes