“Rustic self-catering suites and a yurt (sleeping 2-6), offering a laid-back base for island exploration”
Seven self-contained suites for 2-5, each with its own kitchen and terrace, are scattered around the central balconied courtyard and the extensive grounds, while a family-sized yurt sleeping up to 6 holds a lofty position in the garden; there are further cottages at sister property Casa de la Caldera, a few miles down the road. Part Arabic, part Canarian and part East Asian, the décor in all is as eclectic as the clientele. From young families to yoga devotees to stressed-out professionals, there's a broad range of visitors enjoying carefree days in this stunning, lunar landscape. Getting back in tune with nature is the major lure, and the gardens are awash with citrus trees, Canary palms, figs and lavender. But it’s also a great base for exploring – Timanfaya National Park, the La Geria vineyards and the beaches of Papagayo, Playa Quemada and Famara are within easy reach, and several walks begin and end close by.
Information provided by Casa El Morro on 09/07/2021.
Food and drink
Breakfast is no longer served due to the pandemic
- Supremely relaxing: the heated pool is surrounded by daybeds, massages can be arranged, and there are twice-weekly yoga classes
- Close enough to walk to local villages, but far enough away to feel pleasantly isolated
- Breakfast is included in the rates; there are restaurants, markets and supermarkets close by for other meals
- The personal touch: owner Raquel took 10 years to create this hideaway, and shares many of her belongings so that it’s like staying with a close relative
- Lots to see and do nearby: the spectacular Timanfaya National Park, vineyards and beaches, riding and mountain-biking, hiking
- Small lizards stroll nonchalantly around the bedrooms like paying guests
- Mosquitoes can be a problem, though nets are provided for your bed
- There's a minimum stay of 1 week, but shorter stays during the low season are considered
- If you're seeking sleek décor or buzzing nightlife, this isn't the place for you
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Suites
- 7 suites + 1 yurt
- Self-catering (breakfast provided)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
- Kayak available
- Twice-weekly yoga sessions
The 7 self-contained suites are spread between the main house and separate cottages in the grounds. All are furnished with pieces from Arabia, the Orient and Indonesia, fused with original Canarian dark-wood trimmings. Each is unique, but all have the same amenities including a fully equipped kitchen, multilingual satellite channels, a DVD and CD player, and some form of outside space for dining and relaxing.
Our favourite couples' hideaway is El Aljibe. It has 1 double bed, though the sofa can provide sleeping for 2 more, within a narrow whitewashed cave - although not for the claustrophobic, it gave us a sound silent night's sleep. The earthenware tiling, washed salmon walls and ceiling beams are distinctly rustic, and the large bathroom features hand-painted tiles and an ornate tub. The covered terrace is shielded by bougainvillea, banana palms and hibiscus, with a grand Balinese bed for alfresco siestas.
Similar in size are Uga and Isidora, which also sleep 2-4 in a bedroom (twin beds in the former, a double four-poster in the latter) and a lounge with a sofabed. La Troja and El Alpende sleep 2-3 in a double or twin bedroom and a sofabed, while Leo sleeps 2 and has a garden plus a large terrace with a carved Javanese daybed.
Large families should book 2-storey Raquel (sleeps 4-5), with its wood-burning stove, jaw-dropping volcano views, and 2 each of bedroom, bathroom, lounge and terrace. Or sleep Mongolian-style in the princely yurt, which houses 2 double beds and a sofabed covered in sumptuous silks, as well as a bathroom with a shower. Its kitchen sits in a little stone building next door.
- CD player
- Coffee / tea making
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Full kitchen
- Honesty bar
- Microwave (on request)
- Mosquito net
- Satellite TV
Breakfast is served under a communal wooden pagoda in the garden. It consists of the usual suspects - fresh bread, cold cuts, cereals, tasty organic jams - and you might also be treated to fresh melon grown on site or delicious cakes baked by Raquel.
For other meals, you’ll have to self-cater or head out. All units have kitchens with an oven, kettle, crockery, cutlery, utensils and juicer, and some with antique furniture and fine china. Raquel is the only suite with its own microwave, but they’re available on request if you really need one. You’ll also find a BBQ on your terrace in all except El Aljibe.
For stocking up on supplies, don't miss the farmers’ market in Tias on Saturday mornings; it’s great for local cheeses, fruit, vegetables and bread. Failing that, there’s a supermarket less than 1km away in Femés village. There are several simple eateries a stroll away in Uga, and some good restaurants within a short drive, too.
- Coffee / tea making
- Full kitchen
- Organic produce
- Restaurants nearby
- Head to the hills for a hike up and down volcanic peaks: nearby Timanfaya National Park is a hotbed (literally) of seismic activity and lunar landscapes
- Hop on a horse at a local riding school for a slow trek across the rocky scenery
- Or borrow a bike from Raquel and pedal through whitewashed villages. You can also take her kayak for a paddle along the coast
- Slap on the SPF, grab a bucket and spade and spend the day on the beach - the sands at Papagayo, Playa Quemada and Famara are all within an easy drive
- Spend a day at sea on a private sailing charter with local salty sea dog José (a real character!); Raquel will arrange this for you on request
- Hang out with the locals at one of the village bars, or watch Canarian wrestling (lucha)
- Take a class in painting, creative writing, diving, cookery or Spanish; Raquel will gladly make arrangements for you
- Back at Casa El Morro, book a massage or join the twice-weekly yoga sessions, open to all
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Art classes
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Creative writing
- Horse riding
- Language courses
- Mountain biking
- Scuba diving
- Well being
Children of all ages are welcome, though we feel Casa El Morro is best suited to younger ones as the atmosphere might be too quiet for older kids and teens. Baby cots are available free of charge and babysitting can be arranged on request. The 2 house cats, Pedro and Jack Sparrow, are particularly fond of children.
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Raquel suite has 2 bedrooms and sleeps up to 5, while the yurt sleeps up to 6 in 2 double beds and a sofabed. Most of the other suites have a double or twin bedroom plus a single or double sofabed, making them suitable for families of 3-4.
Babysitting can be arranged.
Baby monitors are available on request.
- Baby cots
- High chairs
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Toys and games to borrow
- Beach kit such as boogie boards
Families Should Know:
The pool is unfenced.
- Airport: 15 minutes
- Hospital: 20 minutes
- Shop: 5 minutes
Casa El Morro is 15km west of Arrecife Airport, overlooking the village of Uga in southern Lanzarote.
Fly into Lanzarote's Arrecife Airport (15km away). It's served by a range of scheduled, charter and budget flights from the UK and elsewhere in Europe - click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airport
Hop in a taxi or hire a car (see below).
Although you could walk to the nearest supermarket and simple restaurants, we advise hiring a car so that you can easily reach the beaches and explore the rest of the island. See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Lanzarote and getting around
- Lanzarote Arrecife 15.0 km ACE
- Beach 7.0 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km