“A quartet of tranquil self-catering cottages for 2-5 with a shared pool; wrapped in mountains yet just a short drive from excellent beaches”
The network of trails which leads out through the Femés Valley is a treat for active types; those who prefer a lazier holiday can spend their days on the terrace, where shady cushioned seating areas and poolside loungers await. The picturesque hilltop village of Femés with its restaurants and shops is a short drive away, and the stunning beaches of Papagayo and Pozo lie within easy reach. Perfect for couples in search of rural ramblings or families looking for a relaxing escape.
- The location: peaceful and secluded, yet only a 15-minute drive from the coast
- The large, sheltered pool and terrace, where you can happily while away the hours
- A beautiful restoration, with original beams and fireplaces adding an authentic sense of history
- The mountain scenery is spectacular, and you can walk straight out from your door along fabulous trails
- Brilliant value for money, especially if you book exclusive use of the whole place for a group of up to 12 (plus 3 children)
- The homely interiors won’t suit those in search of sleek design
- You’ll need to jump in a car if you want to eat out
- There’s no service as such, but Raquel lives next door and is often around if you need help, her other self-catering suites, Casa El Morro, are a few km down the road
- A 5-night minimum stay year-round
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Villas
- 4 cottages for 2-5
- Self-catering (restaurants and shops within a short drive)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
The largest cottages are El Patio and La Puesta del Sol, each with 2 bedrooms (a double and a twin). The former opens onto the secluded inner courtyard; the latter has a private sun terrace. Both have great views across the Femés Valley.
Couples can choose between a pair of 1-bedroom options: rustic La Valle de Femés, which has high beams and its own garden terrace, or quirky El Aljibe. Located a discreet distance from the main house, the latter is a rock-lined hideaway whose bedroom occupies a former underground water tank.
All the cottages have airy living areas with sofas and tables, and most also come with traditional Canarian fireplaces. Décor throughout is simple but charming, with whitewashed walls, green shuttered windows and chunky wooden furniture. Ethnic cushions, bedspreads and wall hangings add splashes of colour. Bathrooms sport bright tiles, and walk-in showers or tubs with showers over.
- CD player
- Coffee / tea making
- DVD player
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Mosquito net
- Satellite TV
All the cottages have well-equipped kitchens with an electric hob, oven, microwave, kettle and fridge (but no dishwasher); there's also plenty of cookware, cutlery and crockery, plus a few basics such as salt and oil. They also have private outdoor space with a table and chairs, and there are BBQs, too. You’ll find further alfresco dining spots on the pool terrace.
For stocking up on supplies, don't miss the farmers’ market in Tias on Saturday mornings – it’s brimming with local cheeses, fruit, vegetables and bread. If you prefer to eat out, there are a couple of nice restaurants in the whitewashed hilltop town of Femés, a few minutes’ drive away, where you can eat on terraces with incredible views out to sea (on a clear day, you might even glimpse Fuertaventura on the horizon). It also has a small supermarket.
- Coffee / tea making
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Walk straight out from the finca - hiking trails criss-cross the valley, and Raquel can supply detailed directions
- Head to one of the local beaches - the beautiful white sands of Papagayo and Playa del Pozo are within an easy drive
- Pack a picnic and climb up to the rim of the caldera for the best views of the surrounding mountains
- Explore Timanfaya National Park, a hotbed (literally) of seismic activity and eerie lunar landscapes
- Sample local wine at one of the island's many bodegas. La Geria, Lanzarote's main wine-growing region, is nearby
- Visit some of the landmarks created by renowned Lanzarote architect César Manrique, including the stunning Mirador del Rio (a lookout platform and bar), his cactus garden in Guatiza, the grotto at Los Jameos del Agua, and his house at Tahiche (built on a lava flow). All lie within a 45-minute drive
- Or just take a dip in the pool, then relax in a shaded nook with a glass of vino
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
This is a great place for a relaxing family holiday – a laid-back country retreat, but within easy reach of lovely beaches. The larger cottages are particularly suitable for those with kids, and the communal pool is a godsend in the hot summer months. Bear in mind that this is a rural setting, so older kids and teens might get bored.
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
El Patio and La Puesta del Sol both have 2 bedrooms (a double and a twin) plus space for an extra bed or baby cot; they also have handy washing machines. La Valle de Femés can accommodate a family of 3 in 1 bedroom using a rollaway bed or baby cot.
Raquel can arrange babysitting
- Baby cots
- High chairs
- Baby monitors
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Large pool to splash in
- Traditional Canarian boules court
- Toys and games to borrow
- Beach kit such as boogie boards
Kids Activities nearby:
- Sandy beaches
- Volcanoes to climb
- Grazing camels to spot in the adjoining valley
Families Should Know:
The pool and gardens aren’t fenced, so keep an eye on roving little ones
- Airport: 15 minutes' drive
- Hospital: 20 minutes' drive
- Shop: 5 minutes' drive
La Casa de la Caldera is on the edge of the village of Las Casitas, 15km west of Arrecife Airport in southern Lanzarote.
Lanzarote's Arrecife Airport (15km away) is served by a range of scheduled, charter and budget flights from the UK and elsewhere - click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airport
The rural location means you'll need a car - see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Lanzarote and getting around
- Lanzarote Arrecife 15.0 km ACE
- Beach 7.0 km
- Shops 5.0 km
- Restaurant 5.0 km