We spent hours sitting on the deck, soaking up those views - a gentle slope of volcanic scrubland, dotted with palm trees and whitewashed villas, down to a watery horizon. Behind the villa, Mácher's sugar-cube houses dot the landscape and volcanic cones form a serrated backdrop. Walkers, sports enthusiasts and those after a chilled group or family holiday away from the crowds will find this villa ticks all the right boxes. To feed the masses, there are indoor and outdoor kitchens and dining areas, plus a Stonehenge-like BBQ area. If you're too relaxed to wave a spatula, a trio of restaurants lies within walking distance.
- Gorgeous, far-reaching views to the ocean
- A sense of rural solitude, yet just 10 minutes' drive from Arrecife airport and the buzzy beach resort of Puerto del Carmen
- Great for 1-3 families, with a games area, a high-walled garden and a gated, heated pool
- All 7 bedrooms have ensuite bathrooms. There are 5 doubles and 2 twin/doubles, plus a sofabed for extra guests
- Discounted rates for groups of 4-12
- A 7-night minimum stay all year
- You'll need a car to get here, and to reach the beach
- Although there are restaurants within walking distance, you'll probably want to drive in the evenings as there are no proper pavements
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Villa
- 7 bedrooms
- Self catering; restaurants nearby
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
To maximise on natural light and the villa's views, the accommodation is arranged upside-down. On the top floor, there's a huge open-plan living room and contemporary kitchen, united by a timber, 10-seater dining table. This whole area represents the villa’s eclectic style as a whole: laid-back, high-tech and rustic-chic. Also on this floor is a double bedroom and shower bathroom, plus a TV room with comfy sofas (one of which is a double sofabed for extra guests).
Another 5 bedrooms are downstairs, 2 of which can be set up as twin rooms. Unfussy and neutral, with ensuite shower bathrooms and cool bamboo-ladder towel rails, all but one has direct access to the garden. An adjoining outbuilding contains the 7th double bedroom, perfect for those who prefer a little more privacy.
- Safe box
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
Before you hit the supermarket, you’re given a welcome pack: bread, milk, cheese and biscuits, plus water, Coke and a bottle of Cava as a thank you for booking through i-escape. The kitchen is fully equipped for self-catering and includes a dishwasher. There’s also a kitchen/prep area in the garden, as well as a BBQ grill sheltered by rocks. Mácher grocery shops are an easy drive away.
If you want somebody else to do the work, ask the villa managers to book a private chef, or head for one of the 3 restaurants within a 10-minute walk. My pick of the bunch also happens to be the closest. The elegant and avant garde La Tegala presents innovative Spanish/Canarian cuisine via 9-dish tasting menus. It’s not cheap, and it’s certainly not an everyday restaurant, but it does offer sensational food. Expect combinations you’ve probably never tasted before, like melon infused with martini, and fillet of beef served with noisette butter and avocado alioli. Bear in mind the pavements around here range from ‘short’ to ‘non-existent’. The route to restaurants is along a busy, unlit road, so at night I’d recommend driving.
- Chef on request
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- Welcome hamper
- Chill out in the heated outdoor pool and hot tub, or read on the veranda and admire the views
- The sandy stretches of Puerto del Carmen are 10 minutes away and provide the usual bucket-and-spade pleasures for toddlers, as well as watersports for bigger kids and adults
- The island's main highway runs through Mácher, meaning all the island’s highlights are within 30-35 minutes’ drive. See the moonscapes of Timanfaya National Park, the bizarre vineyards of La Geria, the otherworldly volcanic caves and pools of Jameos del Agua and the blissful sandy coves of Papagayo
- The villa managers can arrange anything from yoga classes and bike hire to surf lessons; just ask
- The nearby Tinasoria Mountain is a take-off point for paragliders and hang-gliders
- Lanzarote Golf course is within striking distance
Families are welcome and this would be a great place to come with friends and their kids, too. There are 7 bedrooms, 2 of which can be set up as twins, all with an ensuite shower room. An additional 2 guests can sleep on a sofabed in the TV room and the villa manager can provide baby cots and highchairs at no extra charge.
The vast 1,200 sq.m plot contains landscaped gardens and a gated, heated pool, so there's masses of room for kids to explore. Older children will love tennis table and the outdoor pool table, as well as watersports at Puerto del Carmen; younger kids will love splashing in the swimming pool and bucket-and-spade'ing at the beach.
There's a well-equipped kitchen complete with oven, microwave, blender and BBQ, plus guests receive a welcome hamper on arrival.
Kids Activities on site:
- Heated pool with swimming toys
- Pool table
- Table tennis
- Puzzles and board games
- TV/DVD player
Families Should Know:
All bathrooms are shower only; no baths
- Airport: 9km (15 mins' drive, Lanzarote Arrecife)
- Shop: 5 mins' drive
- Hospital: 5-10 mins' drive
The villa is set in walled gardens on a tranquil cul-de-sac at the edge of Mácher (a traditional agricultural village) in southern Lanzarote. It’s 4km from Lanzarote’s biggest beach resort, Puerto del Carmen.
Lanzarote's Arrecife Airport (9km away) is served by a range of scheduled, charter and budget flights from the UK and elsewhere - click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airport
The rural location means you'll probably want a car (though transfers are available if you don't drive). See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Lanzarote and getting around
- Arrecife Airport 9.0 km ACE
- Beach 4.0 km
- Shops 2.0 km
- Restaurant 2.0 km