A beautifully restored cottage for self-catering, set in terraced gardens with a pool, in a quiet hamlet of northern Kefalonia (sleeping up to 8)”
Ideal for families wanting a peaceful rural holiday retreat; the cottage sleeps 4-8 and the silence is blissful. Close by are excellent unspoilt beaches: 2 are within walking distance, and Myrtos, frequently cited as one of the most beautiful in Greece, is a 30-minute drive away. Sail, snorkel, scuba dive or just unwind. If hiking's more your thing, head for the hills and walk amongst dramatic mountain scenery. Return home for G&Ts on your private terrace then cook or walk to excellent local tavernas.
- Gloriously peaceful location, with the upmarket fishing village of Fiskardo just a 5-minute drive or 30-minute walk away
- The loving restoration. Marcus oversaw the tasteful exterior and interior makeover, and the result is an understated but stylish blend of old and new
- Slick modern kitchens mean self-catering is a pleasure
- Tavernas, shops and beaches are within walking distance so you don't have to drive everywhere, although you'll probably want a hire car for sightseeing and occasional food shopping
- Mobile phone reception is patchy
- The cottage has a shower but no bathtub
Best time to go
Our top tips
- 3 bedrooms
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
Enter the cottage into an open-plan kitchen and living room, with white-and-grey flecked marble floors and a whitewashed wooden pitched ceiling. A cool, light and airy space, it combines modern cooking facilities with a boxy white sofa, armchair and TV. There are old trinkets and collectables, including a retro telephone, a vintage sewing machine, sets of scales, and an old-fashioned wood-burning stove. Spotlights and 2 big white metal fisherman’s lamps make it atmospheric after dark.
The master bedroom has exposed stone walls with a wooden floor, a white wrought-iron double bed and French doors opening onto a small balcony with views across the fields towards the sea. The other bedroom (double or twin) is rather basic though nice, with one exposed stone wall. A new extension provides a third double bedroom with ensuite bath/shower room, and there's also a white wooden mezzanine level above the living room with a wrought-iron double bed, meaning that the cottage can in theory sleep 8. The family white-and-grey marble bathroom has a big walk-in rain shower.
- Air conditioning
- Beach umbrellas
- DVD player
- Family friendly
- Ipod dock
- Ironing board
- Satellite TV
- Washing machine
The open-plan kitchen is fully equipped with a cooker, big fridge/freezer with an ice maker, kettle, toaster, microwave and oven, espresso machine and dishwasher, plus a wealth of crockery. There's a table in the kitchen, but you'll probably want to dine alfresco in the lovely outdoor eating space with a long wooden table. It’s a fine spot for breakfast, with the sea merging into the sky in the distance, and you also get sublime sunsets.
It’s worth stocking up on some basic provisions (cooking oil, milk etc) as these aren’t provided. There’s a mini-market in the village (a 5-minute walk uphill), 2 small grocery stores in Magganos (a 20-minute walk), plus 2 well-stocked supermarkets in Fiskardo (5 minutes by car or a 30-minute walk). A shopping service is also available if requested at least a week in advance of your stay, and the owners can also arrange a private chef.
Restaurant wise, the nearest place to eat out is To Petrino in the village - they serve a selection of Greek mezze plus barbecued meat and fish dishes. For breakfast out in the village, head to Picnic and try their delicious Eggs Benedict. In Magganos there’s a decent taverna called Ionio, which does good local food and occasional live music, or in Fiskardo, highly recommended are Vasso’s and Tassia’s, both overlooking the harbour and serving good (though not cheap) fresh seafood.
- Coffee / tea making
- Family friendly
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- Swim and sunbathe at local beaches - the nearest is Dafnoudi, a 20-minute walk across fields and along a woodland path. Near Fiskardo you’ll find the pretty pebble beach of Emblisi (a 30-minute walk), while Kefalonia’s most stunning beach, Myrtos, set below dramatic cliffs that plummet down to the coast, lies 20km away
- Walk along a track past olive groves and cypresses to the restored church of Ag Giannnis (St John), with fine views out to sea
- Spoil yourself with a massage - one can be arranged for you at the cottage
- Explore the pretty fishing village of Fiskardo (a 5-minute drive or 30-minute walk), with its pastel-coloured houses and tavernas rimming a busy little harbour
- Try scuba diving with the Fiskardo Dive Centre - they run a ‘Discover Diving’ course for complete beginners, and arrange dives to underwater caves and shipwrecks for those with experience
- Drive to the village of Assos (10km), a cluster of old cottages, plus several tavernas, built on an isthmus between the seaward cliffs and a small island with a Venetian fortress
- Visit the Robola Wine Co-operative in the Omala Valley, near Argostoli. They offer a short tour of the cellars plus tasting of their highly regarded dry white robola, and you can buy bottles to take home
- Explore the island’s caves, close to Sami: Drogarati has a big chamber filled with stalactites, while Melissani is home to an underground salt-water lake
- Take an excursion by boat to Ithaca and Lefkada - the owners can arrange this for you and can also suggest other destinations, with tours for all budgets
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
- Scuba diving courses
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
Families are welcome and kids will enjoy having a small pool to splash in, though teenagers could get a little frustrated by the isolated location. The cottage is in a tranquil setting yet conveniently close to tavernas, shops and beaches. The nearest are a 5-minute walk away, but up an overgrown, unsurfaced track, which could be difficult for young children or those with limited mobility.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
We think this cottage is perfect for a family with a couple of kids (ideally aged 5-10), with 3 bedrooms (2 doubles, 1 twin) and it's own slim pool right outside. It also has a double bed on the mezzanine above the living room which could sleep an extra 1-2 older kids (the steps are a little steep for younger ones).
- Baby cot
- High chair
- Baby bathtub
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Private (unfenced) swimming pool in landscaped gardens
- Patio for playing safely outside
Kids Activities nearby:
- Family snorkelling trips in Fiskardo
- Play parks in local villages
Families Should Know:
Parents should be aware that there are terraces, steps and drops around the property and that the pool is unfenced
- Airport: 90 minutes
- Hospital: 45 minutes
- Shops: 10 minutes
For more family-friendly places, see our Kids Collection
Fiskardo Cottage is set in Markandonata, a peaceful hamlet built into a west-facing hillside, overlooking the Ionian Sea and close to the northern tip of Kefalonia. The fishing village of Fiskardo lies a 5-minute drive away.
Fly into Kefalonia (58km - served by charter flights from the UK throughout the summer), or Athens then get a connecting flight.
From The Airport
You can take a taxi - approx €90 - but we'd recommend hiring a car. It is not essential because tavernas, minimarkets and 2 beaches are all within walking distance, but you'd probably want one for food shopping and sightseeing. Note that taxis are expensive on Kefalonia.
For car hire see our car rental recommendations. For an idea of distances, the airport is 5km south of the island's capital, Argostoli, and Fiskardo is 45km north, at the top of the island.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Kefalonia Argostoli airport 58.0 km EFL
- Beach 2.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km