“On Captain Corelli’s mystical island, 5 secluded hillside houses for 2-6, with stylish pools and exquisite sea views”
Cricket (sleeps 6) has a wild garden and a sophisticated feel. Swim a lazy lap in the infinity pool, watch the sun set from a rattan lounger, trot up the open-edged stairway to bed. Next door, pale blue-shuttered Gecko (sleeps 6), is wrapped in a walled Mediterranean garden, its courtyard, terrace, loggia and pool reassuringly visible from every room: a parent’s delight. And then there’s Scorpio (sleeps 2), an immaculate, cool haven with more amazing views and an indoor/outdoor infinity pool (one to write home about). Floor-to-ceiling glass doors open to leather and steel chairs, slate floors, artfully strewn pebbles and a dozen colourful oars on a pristine white wall. Crows Nest (sleeps 2) and Esmeralda Cottage (sleeps 2) are sleek understated affairs, both with spacious terraces and shimmering infinity pools overlooking the valley and sea.
- Breathtaking sea views and stunning sunsets
- Designer looks inside and out, sofa-strewn terraces for chasing shade or sun, and gorgeous private pools
- Welcoming but unobtrusive owners, who live nearby if you need them
- Good kitchens for self-catering, plus BBQs
- Cricket and Gecko are perfect for a group of friends or family; each sleeps 6 in a double and 2 twin/double rooms, and all have ensuite bathrooms; Scorpio, Crows Nest and Esmeralda Cottage are romantic just-for-2 retreats
- A 7-night minimum stay, though changeover day can be flexible, and payment by PayPal only
- Too secluded for some; you'll need to drive out to most restaurants and bars, and to get groceries
- An unbannistered staircase in Cricket (keep an eye on tots)
- Annoying wasps, but wasps are everywhere on Kefalonia, especially during August
- Ensuite bathrooms are shower only, except Cricket, which has bathtubs in both its double bedrooms
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Villas
- 5 villas for 2-6
- Self-catering (restaurants nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
- Twice-a-week cleaning included in rates
Each of the 5 villas is beautifully styled, with fresh, original touches. Some sleep 2, others are designed for up to 6 people. Sheets and towels are changed twice a week; daily cleaning is available on request.
Cricket (sleeps 6)
This 3-bedroom villa has 2 bedrooms in the main house, plus a third in the annexe overlooking the pool. Floors are big-tiled in black and white, ceilings are airy, shuttered windows are painted turquoise. We loved the salvaged boat beneath the staircase – formerly used to transport mail between Fiskardo and Ithaca. Ensuite bathrooms have white painted beams and the same checked floors; there are ladders for snowy towels.
Gecko (sleeps 6)
From the living area of 3-bedroom Gecko villa, a door leads to the main bedroom - in fresh creams, whites and blues - and another to the twin. This in turn opens to a long narrow room which, if there are just 4 of you, makes a pleasant dressing room/ reading room, with French windows opening to the pool. If there are more of you, this room can also be a twin/double.
Scorpio (sleeps 2)
Kooky 1-bedroom Scorpio has an open-plan layout. There's a big romantic bed with a dark-wood backdrop, towels in slate grey and brick red in the shower bathroom, a kitchen, and a little living area with quirky touches including an end-table fashioned from an old beehive. Best of all, however, is the stunning indoor-outdoor infinity pool that wraps around the villa; bathe as the sun sets.
Crows Nest (sleeps 2)
Having once provided the entire local village with their olive oil, this 18th-century ruin has been reinvented as a luxurious single-storey 1-bed retreat. The all-glass entrance opens onto an airy kitchen, living and dining area, but you might find yourself somewhat distracted by the mesmerizing sea views. Outside, the terrace is framed by a rustic rock garden (hiding an outdoor shower) and a shimmering infinity pool.
Similar to Crows Nest, but a tad more compact, Esmeralda Cottage is an open-plan 1-bedroom arrangement that also boasts a foodie history, having originally been a small olive press producing seasonal oils. Today, there's a four-poster bed perfectly placed for soaking up the sea views, as well as a sleek, modern kitchen-dining area and a huge terrace with gas barbecue, sun loungers and an infinity pool.
- Air conditioning
- Bluetooth sound system
- CD player
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
- Swimming pool
- Washing machine
Kitchens are immaculate, all you’d hope for. Most have dishwashers (not Esmeralda); all have barbecues and an indoor and outdoor dining area. You'll find a welcome bottle of wine in the fridge, and for other provisions mini markets are only a 5-minute drive away, up the hill in Maganos. If you'd rather leave the cooking to someone else, Tassos and Shari can arrange a chef to whip up a feast for you to enjoy out on the terrace.
For eating out, your nearest little taverna is on white pebbly St Jerusalim Bay, a 20-minute saunter downhill (and an unlit trek up, but you could take the car). No menu, just what’s best and freshest that morning. The fish is extraordinary, the braised pork belly is delicious, even the bread - tomato, olive and feta - is scrummy. Wash it all down with a local wine or beer. For more choice - lots of choice - there’s Fiskardo (8km) with harbourside restaurants, cool bars and boutique shops. Nowhere’s cheap on Kefalonia, especially Fiskardo, but the island does produce Greece's best wine - a legacy of the Venetians.
Fancy a lunch of delectable sun-dried octopus and juicy dolmades, spicy sausages and mouth-watering moussaka, as you shade beneath olive trees? Then hire a boat from Fiskardo and zip over to the island of Ithaca (as in Greek myth) where a steep walk up from the harbour brings you to the exceptional Polyphemus in Stavros Town. The restaurant, run by a communist chef who has covered its walls with pictures of Che Guevara (why not!), is open from May to October.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- Welcome hamper
- Wander downhill to white pebbly St Jerusalim Bay, which has sun loungers, kayaks and underwater video cameras for hire
- Picturesque Fiskardo, where a string of pastel Venetian houses and tavernas hug the harbour and yachts are double parked on the water, is where it all happens round here. Hire a boat from Regina, near Nicolas Taverna to the north of the bay, and spend a day flitting in and out of idyllic coves
- Drive south along the mountain road to Kefalonia’s second resort, tiny Assos, and go paddling in warm waters beneath its fort. Drop down the zig-zagging lane to swim from the beach and eat at one of the harbour tavernas
- Come back up the hill and head south for a few miles to Myrtos, the most photographed beach in the Ionian archipelago, a stunning curve of white sands falling to pebbles and turquoise-blue waters. You’ll find a refreshment bar, parasols, sunbeds and a lifeguard - but watch currents on certain days. The waters, deep just 2 steps from the shore, can be fierce
- Alaties beach (Salty Beach) is a tiny, hidden, little-known beach with crystal-clear waters overlooked by an excellent taverna - but watch out for sea currents
- Dafnoudi beach is reached via a 600m path through a cypress forest. The beach is pebbly, the waters calm, the colours vary from blue to green - a utopian spot, perfect for snorkelling. If you’re lucky, you’ll spot a rare Mediterranean monk seal
- There are stalactites and stalagmites at the cave of Drogarati, or a mystical underground lake at Melissani cave. History buffs can visit Venetian fortresses, Byzantine remains, Mycenaean tombs and Roman mosaics on day trips
- Tassos and Shari can arrange massages, beauty treatments and yoga classes with a local instructor
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Horse riding
- Museums / galleries
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
Cricket and Gecko are good family rentals for 6 plus a baby. Each has a safe garden and a private pool. There are good kitchens to self-cater, barbecues and washing machines. Restaurants and beaches are a short drive away.
Family friendly accommodation:
Cricket has 1 double room and 2 twin rooms, plus space for a baby cot, though it has an open staircase so wouldn't suit toddlers and should probably be avoided with children under 10. Both of its bathrooms have a bathtub. Gecko also has 1 double and 2 twin rooms plus space for a baby cot; its bathrooms are shower only.
- Baby cot
- Microwave for warming bottles
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Well-equipped kitchens for self-catering, with ovens, hobs and microwaves. Cricket has a food blender
Kids Activities on site:
- Private pools
- DVD players (bring family DVDs)
Kids Activities nearby:
- Stalactites and stalagmites at the cave of Drogarati
- Boat trips and snorkelling
- Venetian fortresses, Byzantine remains, Mycenaean tombs and Roman mosaics
Families Should Know:
Cricket has an open staircase. The pools are not fenced
- Airport: 60km (Kefalonia)
- Shops, including a pharmacy: 5 mins' drive
Kefalonia Boutique Villas are set on a hillside overlooking the Ionian Sea in northern Kefalonia, 8km from the fishing village of Fiskardo.
Fly into Kefalonia (60km - served by charter flights from the UK throughout the summer), or Athens then get a connecting flight.
From The Airport
You can take a taxi, but we'd recommend hiring a car for food shopping and sightseeing. Note that taxis are expensive on Kefalonia.
See our car rental recommendations. The villas have parking.
Kefalonia is served by ferries from Astakos (on the Greek mainland), Kyllini / Patras (Peloponnese) and neighbouring islands.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Kefalonia Argostoli 60.0 km EFL
- Athens 360.0 km ATH
- Beach 1.0 km
- Shops 2.5 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km