“Two beautifully restored cottages for self-catering, set in terraced gardens with a pool apiece, in a quiet hamlet of northern Kefalonia (sleeping 2-8)”
Ideal for a romantic escape, or for families wanting a peaceful rural holiday retreat; one cottage sleeps 4-8, the other 2-4. They are set a discreet distance apart from one another, and the silence is blissful. Close by are excellent unspoilt beaches: 2 are within walking distance, and Myrtos, frequently cited as one of the most beautiful in Greece, is a 30-minute drive away. Sail, snorkel, scuba dive or just unwind. If hiking's more your thing, head for the hills and walk amongst dramatic mountain scenery. Return home for G&Ts on your private terrace then cook or walk to excellent local tavernas.
- Gloriously peaceful location, with the upmarket fishing village of Fiskardo just a 5-minute drive or 30-minute walk away
- The loving restoration. Marcus oversaw the tasteful exterior and interior makeover, and the result is an understated but stylish blend of old and new
- Slick modern kitchens mean self-catering is a pleasure
- A great two family or extended family rental, with parents and children in Lime, and grandparents in Fig
- Tavernas, shops and beaches are within walking distance so you don't have to drive everywhere, although you'll probably want a hire car for sightseeing and occasional food shopping
- Mobile phone reception is patchy
- Both cottages have a shower but no bathtub
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Self-catering Cottages (sleeping 2-6)
- All ages welcome
- Closed: 1 Nov 2017 - 31 Dec 2017
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
Lime Cottage is the larger of the two. You enter into an open-plan kitchen and living room, with white-and-grey flecked marble floors and a whitewashed wooden pitched ceiling. A cool, light and airy space, it combines modern cooking facilities with a boxy white sofa, armchair and flat-screen TV. There are 2 big white metal fisherman’s lamps, as well as spotlights, and an old-fashioned wood-burning stove, making it atmospheric after dark.
Lime's master bedroom has exposed stone walls with a wooden floor, a white wrought-iron double bed and French doors opening onto a small balcony with views across the fields towards the sea. The other bedroom (double or twin) is rather basic though nice, with one exposed stone wall. A new extension provides a third double bedroom with ensuite bath/shower room. There's also a white wooden mezzanine level above the living room with a sofa bed for kids, meaning that Lime can in theory sleep 8. The family white-and-grey marble bathroom has a big walk-in rain shower.
Charming Fig Cottage sleeps 2-4 and is ideal for a romantic escape. You get an open-plan kitchen and living area - again with marble floors and a whitewashed wooden pitched ceiling - which opens onto a lovely stone terrace with sea views. From the kitchen, marble steps lead up to the sleeping area with its wrought-iron double bed (so you might not want to cook pungent dinners before bedtime!), and a shower bathroom. There's also a double sofabed in the lounge if you're travelling with a child or 2, though this might make it a bit of a squeeze. Note that there are fewer mod cons than in Lime (such as no central heating).
- Air conditioning
- Beach umbrella
- Coffee tea making
- Cots Available
- Dvd player
- Full kitchen
- Hob stove
- Ipod dock
- Ironing board
- Satellite tv
- Washing machine
In Lime Cottage, the open-plan kitchen is fully equipped with a cooker, big fridge/freezer with an ice maker (so you can even make cocktails!), kettle, toaster, microwave and oven, espresso machine and dishwasher, plus a wealth of pots and pans, crockery and glasses. There's a table in the kitchen, but you'll probably want to dine alfresco - Lime has a lovely outdoor eating space with a long wooden table, two wicker armchairs, and bench seating with cushions. It’s a fine spot for breakfast, with the sea merging into the sky in the distance, and you also get sublime sunsets.
In Fig Cottage there's a similar but smaller open-plan kitchen, with slightly less fancy equipment (no dishwasher, sandwich toaster, ice maker or coffee machine), and a 2-ring hob. The living space opens onto a small stone terrace with sea views and a table and benches for eating out. There's a shared barbecue you can use.
For food shopping, there’s a mini-market in the village (a 5-minute walk uphill), 2 small grocery stores in Magganos (a 10-15-minute walk), plus 2 well-stocked supermarkets in Fiskardo (5 minutes by car or a 30-minute walk). A shopping service is also available if requested at least a week in advance of your stay.
Restaurant wise, the nearest place to eat out is To Petrino in the village - they serve a selection of Greek mezze plus barbecued meat and fish dishes at outdoor tables, or indoors by an open fire. In Magganos there’s a decent taverna called Ionio, which does good local food and occasional live music. In Fiskardo, highly recommended are Vasso’s and Tassia’s, both overlooking the harbour and serving good (though not cheap) fresh seafood.
- Coffee tea making
- Full kitchen
- Hob stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Shopping service
- Swim and sunbathe at local beaches - the nearest is Dafnoudi, a 20-minute walk across fields and along a woodland path. Near Fiskardo you’ll find the pretty pebble beach of Emblisi (a 30-minute walk), while Kefalonia’s most stunning beach, Myrtos, set below dramatic cliffs that plummet down to the coast, lies 20km away
- Walk along a track past olive groves and cypresses to the restored church of Ag Giannnis (St John), with fine views out to sea
- Explore the pretty fishing village of Fiskardo (a 5-minute drive or 30-minute walk), with its pastel-coloured houses and tavernas rimming a busy little harbour
- Try scuba diving with the Fiskardo Dive Centre - they run a ‘Discover Diving’ course for complete beginners, and arrange dives to underwater caves and shipwrecks for those with experience
- Drive to the village of Assos (10km), a cluster of old cottages, plus several tavernas, built on an isthmus between the seaward cliffs and a small island with a Venetian fortress
- Visit the Robola Wine Co-operative in the Omala Valley, near Argostoli. They offer a short tour of the cellars plus tasting of their highly regarded dry white robola, and you can buy bottles to take home
- Explore the island’s caves, close to Sami: Drogarati has a big chamber filled with stalactites, while Melissani is home to an underground salt-water lake
- Take an excursion by traditional wooden caique (fishing boat) to Ithaca with Ionian Discoveries. They are run by Jamie Stirling, a marine biologist, who will introduce you to local marine life, including dolphins, the rare monk seal and octopus
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
- Scuba diving courses
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
Families are welcome and kids will enjoy the pool and gardens, though teenagers could get a little frustrated by the isolated location. The cottages are in a tranquil setting yet are conveniently close to tavernas, shops and beaches.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
We think Lime Cottage is perfect for a family with a couple of kids (ideally aged 5-10), with 3 bedrooms (2 doubles, 1 twin) and use of the pool. It also has a double sofabed on the mezzanine above the living room which could sleep an extra 1-2 children.
Fig is great for a couple with a baby or young child: it has one double bedroom and space for a baby cot, or you can use the pullout sofabed in the lounge (this is a double sofa, but we think the cottage would be a squeeze with 4).
- Baby cot
- High chair
- Baby bathtub
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Private swimming pool in landscaped gardens for each cottage
- Patio for playing safely outside both Fig and Lime
Kids Activities nearby:
- Family snorkelling trips in Fiskardo
- Play parks in local villages
Families Should Know:
Parents should be aware that there are terraces, steps and drops around the property and the pool is unfenced
- Airport: 90 minutes
- Hospital: 45 minutes
- Shops: 10 minutes