Design-wise, think marble fireplaces, parquet floors and elegant wood panelling. A vintage cinema room, old-school arcade games, a choice of swimming pools (indoor and out, both with great views) and pops of quirky wallpaper keep things pleasingly informal. Couples after a romantic break needn’t be deterred by the family focus. There is so much space that it’s easy to carve out a private, child-free corner. By day, potter down the hill to the beach, or swing by the pretty port town to get your cream tea fix. We're already plotting our next visit.
- Gorgeous, trendy interiors alongside dreamy sea views
- A plum position in an Area of Outstanding Beauty, within walking distance of the beach and the pretty port town
- With a generous 90 mins' free childcare each day, plus top kids facilities, parents get to have a holiday too
- The service is exceptional
- The food served in the restaurant is top-notch
- Dogs are very welcome here – a low for some
- 60 rooms, so less ‘boutique’ than we’d normally choose
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Luxury Family Hotel
- 60 rooms
- Restaurant and bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Laundry service
- Electric car charger
There are 60 spacious rooms and suites spread across the mansion house and the courtyard estate. Original 19th-century high-ceilinged charm is teamed with some uber-chic, contemporary design. Think muted tones with the odd pop of midcentury-esque burnt orange and yellows alongside handmade oak beds and vintage furniture.
There are currently 10 room types ranging from the recently refurbished Classic doubles through to the top dog: a Two Bedroom Sea View Suite, sleeping five. As you'd expect, top categories come with sea views. All rooms offer plenty of natural light, a waterfall shower, gorgeous Bramley Toiletries, a 50-inch TV with Chromecast and the usual streaming platforms. All the good stuff.
Very soon, a brand new living space above the spa will be opening. This can be booked as one large (and stunning) 5 bed apartment with a luxurious terrace that overlooks the sea. Or the 5 rooms can be booked separately.
- In room treatments available
The hotel restaurant is a bit of a find. With herbs plucked from the kitchen garden, samphire from the local beaches and seafood from the local fisherman, this is proper Cornish fare. There are even some Cornish wines on the list, alongside other more exotic vintages.
At breakfast, choose from a a nicely varied continental buffet spread, with additional hot options, including a top-notch Full English, American-style pancakes (our kids’ favourite) or made-to-order omelettes.
For dinner, we dined on a delicious fresh, whole grilled Newlyn Bay guilt head bream, beurre noisette and pleasingly plump mussels with chips. The kids happily scoffed fish and chips and shepherds pie. Also check out the high tea on offer for kids and adults.
For some variety, there is a healthy smattering of local eateries nearby. Try the much-lauded Pintxo along the esplanade (8-minute walk).
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Kids' meals
- Restaurants nearby
- Potter down to bustling Fowey port (5 mins) for cute boutiques and galleries, boats galore, and excellent coffee (try Brown Sugar Cafe)
- Or to pretty Readymoney Cove (15 mins) for sheltered sandcastling and swims
- Make the most of the free childcare with a swim in the heated outdoor or indoor pools or treatment in the Spa
- There are glorious coastal running & hiking routes from the hotel: ask at reception for more info
- Take a ferry across the estuary and explore the coastline's lesser-known beaches and paths
- Check out the resident fish at the highly praised Aquarium, a short walk away (10 mins)
- Board a kayak or paddleboard and discover the hidden corners of the estuary; or take a guided tour from Golant village (12 mins by car)
- Major attractions such as the Eden Project (15 mins) and Lost Gardens of Heligan (35 mins) are within easy reach
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
Families are incredibly well catered for with 90 minutes of free daily childcare. There’s a brilliant Ofsted-registered creche and babysitting can be booked. A room-monitoring service gives parents the chance to enjoy a candlelit dinner while their offspring sleeps. Baby cots and extra beds are free of charge for children. Perfection.
We also love that all baby paraphernalia is provided. Say what you need at the time of booking and your room will be kitted out accordingly. Sterilised, heated bottles are even delivered to your room for free, morning and night.
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
There are nine different room types for groups of varying sizes. The Classic Sea View Rooms are best for those with a tot. The Deluxe Rooms are great for a family of 4 including a baby. Families of four with bigger kids should opt for a suite, the largest being the Two Bedroom Sea View Suite (plenty big enough for 5). Whichever option you choose, you can expect bathrooms laden with the Little B products from Bramley, and streaming platforms galore on the 50” TV.
- Bugaboo Stardust travel cot
- Bugaboo high chair
- Bottle warmers
- Bugaboo pushchair
- Bed guards
- Complimentary audio and visual monitoring device
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The Ofsted-registered Den is open to all ages up to 8 years. And every child can spend 90 minutes here for free every day. Expect plenty of toys, arts and crafts and dressing-up clothes. There’s also an impressive library containing no less than 700 children’s books. The lovely staff also run nature sessions outside on the sprawling grounds.
There’s puréed fare for the littlest people. Or a pleasingly varied children’s menu is available and can be adapted as needed without raised eyebrows. Food is served all day making plans for a late evening meal sans kids more achievable.
Kids Activities on site:
- A cleverly positioned terrace means you can chill with a book while the kids roam the 5 acres of fun ahead of you. It’s a Wind In The Willows vibe, with lots of play equipment for little ones, including a zip line
- An impressive games room comes with a pool table, old-school arcade games and table football. It also includes a cool vintage cinema with squashy beanbags
- A peaceful library room displaying over 700 children’s books. Some say it’s the largest library in any UK hotel. (Adults are treated to a decent collection of reads too)
- 10 V3 Yoto Players to borrow, catering for all ages
- Kids are welcome in the spa where pool toys are aplenty
Kids Activities nearby:
- Gorgeous Readymoney Cove is a 15-minute stroll away
- The charmingly diminutive Fowey Aquarium is 10 mins away
- Hop in the car to the Eden Project (15mins) or the brilliant Lost Gardens of Heligan (35mins)
Families Should Know:
The outdoor pool isn't fenced.
- Airport: 40 minutes
- Hospital: 30 minutes (Bodmin)
- Shops: 4 minutes
Fowey Hall is set just above coastal town of Fowey on the south coast of Cornwall.
Newquay Airport is a 40-minute drive away (34.5km). You can also fly into Exeter (128km).
Fowey is a 5-hour drive from London, 3 hours from Bristol and 4 hours from Birmingham. Free onsite parking is available at the hotel. There’s also a POD Point available for electric cars.
Catch a train to St Austell or Par (4-4.5 hours from London Paddington, 3-3.5 hours from Bristol). Then take a taxi or bus to Fowey from the station (20 mins).
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Newquay 35.0 km NQY
- Beach 5.0 km
- Shops 1.5 km
- Restaurant 1.5 km