“Brand new! A secluded barn conversion in rural Wiltshire (sleeps 4) with beautiful woodland on its doorstep and a private lake for wild swimming”
Inside, the barn is a blend of old and new, with antiques and floral prints juxtaposed with modern features like bi-folding doors. There's two bedrooms and two bathrooms, a modern kitchen and a light-filled living-dining room with views out onto the garden. Head out on long countryside walks or visit nearby historic sites like Avebury Henge, then return for barbecues on the terrace and cosy evenings in the stone folly with its open fire. Shared only with the farmhouse and its owners, this vast private land is yours to enjoy; it couldn't be a more relaxing place to hide away. Needless to say, we've already bagged our stay.
- Just under 200 acres of private woodland, meadows and walking trails on your doorstep
- Exclusive use of the farm's private lake and jetty (wild swimming permitted), plus a dedicated rowing boat, a woodland camp with fire pit and playhouse, and the stone folly with open fire
- Wall-to-wall sliding doors make it perfect for indoor/outdoor living in the warmer months
- There is easily a week's worth of things to do within a 30-minute drive
- The best things to do nearby are outdoors, so make sure you have wellies and coats packed for anything but a summer visit
- There aren’t any places to eat within walking distance, but the pub is only five minutes away
- You might feel isolated here so it wouldn’t be the best place to visit without a car
- For those with allergies note there's a friendly dog and a cat on property
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique barn rental
- 2 bedrooms (sleeps 1-4)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
Every element of this architecturally-striking barn is beautifully finished. The decor combines antiques, upcycled furniture, botanical wallpaper and pastel tones without feeling cluttered. Floor-to-ceiling windows and doors in both the bedrooms and living space create a great sense of space, allowing light to pour in.
The barn has two bedrooms, which can be set up as doubles or twins. The downstairs bedroom offers easy wheelchair access, while the upstairs bedroom has its own private terrace overlooking the bluebell woods. Each has its own bathroom featuring either a free-standing bath or a walk-in rainforest shower.
The bright living/dining space has an eclectic modern vibe with its painted breezeblocks, Persian rugs and metal beams. Bi-folding doors open out onto the courtyard and adjoining lawn. There's also a laundry room plus an outdoor hose for muddy wellies or cleaning up after wild swimming.
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
The modern country kitchen is well equipped with an oven, hob, fridge-freezer, blender and dishwasher. Basic essentials like tea, coffee and UHT milk are provided. Arrangements can be made if you'd like to do an online shop beforehand.
Eat at the dining room table (sits 6-8), which opens up into the courtyard, or bring food so you can dine beside the lake - very romantic! There's also a barbecue for alfresco summer dinners.
Foxham Inn in the village centre is only a mile and a half away and offers decent pub food and caters well for anyone with allergies or specific dietary requirements. Buy groceries in the village shop, or there's a farm shop in Dauntsey, and a supermarket in Calne.
If exploring the Wiltshire countryside, you'll stumble across plenty of good country pubs. Grassroots village pub The Dumb Post Inn at Bremhill (10 min drive) has hearty food and a good view from its garden. The George at Rowde is walking distance to the Kennet and Avon Canal. If dining out, there are plenty of restaurants in Tetbury, Marlborough, Malmesbury and Chippenham to choose from.
- Coffee / tea making
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- The barn is set among 200 acres of ancient woodland and meadows, perfect for family ramblings
- On warmer days, go wild swimming in the lake
- Chill out in the peaceful classical-styled Stone Folly, with its incredible views along three long vistas, and open fire with table and chairs
- Or take a short walk to the Woodland Camp in bluebell woods which has a Playhouse for kids and a fire pit for toasting marshmallows
- Bowood House and Gardens are great for days with unpredictable weather. Explore one of the best preserved examples of a ‘Capability’ Brown garden and look inside the Georgian house boasting over 300 years of antiques and artwork. Indoor and outdoor adventure playgrounds will keep kids entertained
- Longleat has a famed safari park
- The National Trust’s Lacock Abbey is a country house with monastic roots, once home to William Henry Fox Talbot, inventor of the photographic negative
- The Neolithic sites at Avebury are less than 30 mins away and you might even spot the Cherhill White Horse at Oldbury Castle on the way
- Westonbirt Arboretum is the perfect place for walks, especially in autumn for the colours. Take a journey up into the canopy on the STIHL Treetop Walkway where you can spot over 2500 species
- Classic Cotswolds town Tetbury offers a choice of antiques, restaurants and boutiques including the Highgrove Shop
- Historic Bathis a short journey from Chippenham railway station, for shopping, architecture, the Romans and Christmas markets
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
This is a great place for families. Bedrooms can be set up as doubles or twins. The vast woodland and meadows are ideal for hide and seek or building dens, and swimming in the lake is great fun for all ages. There's a baby cot and a high chair to borrow if needed at no extra cost.
Family friendly accommodation:
Both bedrooms can be setup as doubles or twins
- Baby cot
- High chair
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Wild swimming
- Woodland to play in
- Resident pets including a friendly labrador and a tabby cat
- Sheep to greet
Kids Activities nearby:
- Westonbirt Aboretum
- Avebury Henge
- Activities at Cotswold Water Park
- Bowood House and Gardens
Families Should Know:
The lake is not fenced - children must be supervised at all times when nearby. There is a small rowboat to borrow at your own risk. The surrounding farmland is home to sheep and, at times, pregnant ewes and lambs. Please be considerate around the animals.
- Airport: 1-hour drive
- Hospital: 30-minute drive
- Supermarket: 7-minute drive
Foxham Boutique Barn is set on a farm near the small village of Foxham, Wiltshire.
The barn is 40 minutes' drive from Bristol and approximately two hours from London. The nearest big town is Swindon. There's private parking at the barn for two cars. If you want to hire a car, see our recommendations.
The nearest station, Chippenham, is on the Paddington – Penzance line. There's a taxi rank in front of the station, and it's a 25-minute journey to the barn from there.
Bristol is one hour away; London Heathrow is 1.5 hours.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Bristol 63.0 km
- London Heathrow 126.0 km
- Beach 84.0 km
- Shops 4.5 km
- Restaurant 2.0 km