A secluded barn conversion in rural Wiltshire (sleeps 4-5) on a conservation farm with a private lake for wild swimming”
This former tractor barn is now a beguiling blend of old and new with antiques and thrift shop finds including a 1970s stereo juxtaposed with modern features like bi-folding doors and underfloor heating. There's two bedrooms and two bathrooms, a modern well-conceived kitchen and a light-filled living-dining room with views out onto the garden. Head out on countryside walks or visit nearby historic sites like Avebury Henge, then return for barbecues on the terrace, sundowners in the stone folly with its fireplace, cosy evenings playing chess by the piano. Shared only with the farmhouse and its owners, this vast private conservation farm is yours to enjoy; it couldn't be a more wondrous place to hide away.
- Just under 200 acres of private woodland, meadows and walking trails on your doorstep
- Exclusive use of the farm's private lake and jetty (wild swimming permitted), plus a dedicated rowing boat, a woodland camp with fire pit and playhouse, and the stone folly with fireplace
- Wall-to-wall sliding doors make it perfect for indoor/outdoor living in the warmer months
- There is easily a week's worth of things to do within a 30-minute drive
- Delightful helpful owners, who are passionate about managing their land for nature
- The best things to do nearby are outdoors, so make sure you have wellies and coats packed for anything but a summer visit
- Nowhere to eat within walking distance, but the pub is only a five minute drive away
- It's not the best place to visit without a car
- For those with allergies note there's a friendly dog and a cat on property
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Barn Rental
- 2 bedrooms (sleeps 4-5)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
Every element of this architecturally-intriguing barn is beautifully finished. The decor combines antiques, botanical wallpaper and pastel tones without feeling cluttered. Pleasingly, furniture has been sourced from the local hospice shop including a piano (sheet music supplied) and vintage stereo. Floor-to-ceiling windows and doors in both the bedrooms and living space allow the light to pour in.
The barn has two bedrooms, which can be set up as doubles or twins. The downstairs bedroom offers easy wheelchair access, while the upstairs bedroom has its own private terrace overlooking the bluebell woods. Each has its own bathroom featuring either a free-standing bath or a walk-in rain shower.
The bright living/dining space has an eclectic modern vibe with its painted breezeblocks, Persian rug and metal beams. Bi-folding doors open out onto the courtyard and adjoining lawn. There's also a laundry room plus an outdoor hose for muddy wellies or cleaning up after wild swimming.
- Central heating
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
The spotless modern country kitchen is well equipped with an oven, hob, fridge-freezer, blender and dishwasher. Basic essentials like tea, coffee and milk are provided. You'll find a generous welcome basket on the table which includes home-pressed apple juice and a bottle of wine for booking through i-escape. Arrangements can be made if you'd like to do an online shop beforehand.
Eat at the vintage dining room table (sits 6-8), which opens up into the courtyard, or bring food so you can dine beside the lake or in the folly - very romantic! There's also a barbecue for alfresco summer dinners, or toast marshmallows at the woodland camp.
Foxham Inn in the village is only a mile and a half away and offers decent pub food and caters well for anyone with allergies or specific dietary requirements. There's a farm shop in Dauntsey, and a supermarket in Calne.
If exploring the Wiltshire countryside, you'll stumble across plenty of good country pubs. Grassroots village pub The Dumb Post Inn at Bremhill (10 min drive) has hearty food and a good view from its garden. The George at Rowde is walking distance to the Kennet and Avon Canal. If dining out, there are plenty of restaurants in Tetbury, Marlborough, Malmesbury and Chippenham to choose from.
- Coffee / tea making
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- You're in a conservation farm of 200 acres of ancient woodland and meadows, perfect for family ramblings. There are maps on lanyards to take with you when exploring
- On warmer days, go wild swimming in the lake or take out the rowing boat
- Chill out in the peaceful classical-styled Stone Folly, with its incredible vistas along three long rides, and classical fireplace with table and chairs
- Or take a short walk to the Woodland Camp in bluebell woods which has a Playhouse for kids and a fire pit for toasting marshmallows
- Bowood House and Gardens are great for days with unpredictable weather. Explore one of the best preserved examples of a ‘Capability’ Brown garden and look inside the Georgian house boasting over 300 years of antiques and artwork. Indoor and outdoor adventure playgrounds will keep kids entertained
- Longleat has a famed safari park
- The National Trust’s Lacock Abbey is a country house with monastic roots, once home to William Henry Fox Talbot, inventor of the photographic negative
- The Neolithic sites at Avebury are less than 30 mins away and you might spot the Cherhill White Horse at Oldbury Castle on the way
- Westonbirt Arboretum is the perfect place for walks, especially in autumn for the colours. You can spot over 2500 species in the canopy on the STIHL Treetop Walkway
- Classic Cotswolds town Tetbury offers antiques, restaurants and boutiques including the Highgrove Shop
- Drive to the Cotswold Water Park for water-based activities
- Historic Bath has shopping, architecture, the Romans and Christmas markets
Activities on site or nearby include:
This is a great place for families as we can attest. The vast woodland and meadows are ideal for hide and seek or building dens, swinging on the tyre or kicking a ball on the lawn, and swimming in the lake is great fun for all ages. There are games and a big TV if the great British weather sets in. There's a baby cot and a high chair to borrow if needed at no extra cost. A single mattress can be set up for a third child on request.
Family friendly accommodation:
Both bedrooms can be setup as doubles or twins; our kids were in the downstairs bedroom as a twin, which worked well.
Kids Activities on site:
- Wild swimming
- Woodland to play in
- Woodland camp
- Resident pets including a friendly labrador and a tabby cat
- Sheep and chickens to greet
- TV with satellite channels and Netflix
- Board games and chess set
- Wildlife to spot (deer, badger, hare, birds)
Families Should Know:
The lake is not fenced - children must be supervised at all times when nearby. There is a small rowboat to borrow at your own risk. The surrounding farmland is home to sheep and, at times, pregnant ewes and lambs. Please be considerate around the animals.
- Airport: 1-hour drive
- Hospital: 30-minute drive
- Supermarket: 7-minute drive
Foxham Boutique Barn is set on a farm near the small village of Foxham, Wiltshire.
The barn is 40 minutes' drive from Bristol and approximately two hours from London. The nearest town is Chippenham. There's private parking at the barn for two cars. There's no EV charging point, but a charging cable is available for use on a standard outdoor socket. If you want to hire a car, see our recommendations.
The nearest station, Chippenham, is on the Paddington – Penzance line. There's a taxi rank in front of the station, and it's a 25-minute journey to the barn from there.
Bristol is one hour away; London Heathrow is 1.5 hours.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Bristol 63.0 km
- London Heathrow 126.0 km
- Beach 84.0 km
- Shops 4.5 km
- Restaurant 2.0 km