Step outside onto well-tended lawns fringed by woodland and pretty agapanthus to find the jewel in Goatfell’s crown - a shimmering infinity-edged pool set against a backdrop of cascading mountain views. We spent our days lounging poolside and playing croquet, before venturing out on one of the marked trails for a gentle walk amongst brilliant-green tea plantations. Returning at sunset, we slumped into comfy cushions and sipped G&Ts by the crackling log fire pit, ready for us as if by magic on our return. Dinner was a gorgeous selection of homemade curries incorporating locally grown produce - this area is Sri Lanka's garden, famed for its vegetable plots neatly arranged on terraces. A genuine slice of Hill Country heaven.
- Incredibly helpful and friendly butler service
- Rates are all-inclusive and the food is top-notch - much of the produce is sourced from the surrounding area
- The view over tea plantations, forests and vegetable terraces is really sublime
- Stunning walking trails straight out from the bungalow; picnics can be arranged too
- Sunset G&Ts around the firepit and dining beneath starry skies were highlights of our stay
- The pool is not heated so can be a tad fresh
- Fairly isolated and a bit of a schlep down to Nuwara Eliya (15km)
- It can get chilly in the evenings, but we loved the excuse for snuggling up by a roaring log fire
- Not the easiest place to get to (5-6 hours from Colombo) but it's totally worth the effort
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Guesthouse
- 4 rooms
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Laundry service
All the bedrooms are incredibly spacious and private, decorated in soothing natural tones and a stylish mix of hand-sourced antiques and chic contemporary pieces. Woven rugs are splayed across polished dark wood floors and big feature mirrors add to the spacious feel. Each room has its own beautiful ensuite bathroom replete with waffle robes, rain showers and bathtubs.
The three elegant double rooms - Ragala, Kandapola and Summerhill - feature kingsized four-poster beds with high-backed headboards, cosy armchairs and private terraces. We stayed in Kandapola and loved the pretty fireplace decorated with candles and potted plants, and the French windows opening directly onto the lawn and infinity swimming pool. The twin room, Park, has its own little sitting area and walk-in wardrobe, and can be connected with neighbouring double bedroom Summerhill to make a Family Suite.
- Safe box
Rates are all-inclusive and you can expect to be spoilt with fresh, homecooked meals and all the tea you could possibly want. Breakfast features tropical fruits, buffalo curd and homemade granola, followed by a mouth-watering choice of eggs, pancakes and other specials, including a traditional Tea Planter’s breakfast and bacon and egg fritters. Don’t miss the pumpkin granola parfait or the egg hopper royale with cured salmon, pickled shallots and caper hollandaise.
For lunch, there is a section of light meals - caesar salads, club sandwiches and grilled fish - or you can plump for heartier local vegetable curries. Dinner is a three-course extravaganza; we feasted on spiced prawn bisque with sour cream and juicy jumbo prawns, followed by succulent harissa dry-rubbed lamb chops with mint and fiery nai miris (chillies) and roasted Hill Country vegetables. For pudding, we devoured the most delicious homemade coconut ice-cream.
And if you're still not full, there's afternoon tea on offer every day, as well as complimentary snacks, soft drinks and tipples - best-enjoyed fireside or on the sunny terrace.
- All meals included
- Coffee / tea making
- Explore the surrounding forests and tea estates. Staff can take you on guided walks or you can explore on your own via the marked trails. Picnic lunches can be prepared for you to take along
- Visit the Concordia Tea Factory. A tour guide will show you around the factory, explaining how different types and varieties of tea are cultivated and processed
- Catch a train. It’s a wonderful way to take in the Hill Country scenery, and the route from Nanu Oya to Ella is particularly stunning
- Take a stroll around Nuwara Eliya. There’s a lake with swan-shaped pedalos, pony rides, a horseracing course and lots of pretty colonial buildings
- This is a place to truly switch off and unwind. Lounge by the pool, have a game of croquet on the lawn or play board games in the lounge
- Explore waterfalls. There are several in and around Nuwara Eliya and many of them can be hiked to
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Tea plantation tours
- Traditional cultures
Children of all ages are welcome and there are lots of fun activities for them in the area, including swimming in the pool and exploring the grounds, as well as cycling and walking trails for the whole family. The lounge is stocked with board games and DVDs for rainy days.
One child up to the age of 12 can share its parents' room; extra beds can be provided for a fee. Complimentary baby cots are provided subject to availability for kids aged two and under. The restaurant has children’s menus and highchairs.
Family friendly accommodation:
Summerhill can be connected with its neighbouring twin bedroom, Park, to make a Family Suite. There’s also space for one extra bed for under 15s in all the double rooms (but an all-inclusive supplement applies).
- Airport: 5.5 hours' drive
- Hospital: 30-35 minutes' drive (Nuwara Eliya)
- Shops: 15-20 minutes' drive
Goatfell is located in the small village of Kandapola, in Sri Lanka's Hill Country. It's 15km from the market town of Nuwara Eliya.
Colombo Bandaranaike is the closest international airport (174km), but it's a good five- to six-hour drive away. It's also possible to get a private seaplane transfer with Cinnamon Air to Gregory Lake, 35 mins' drive below the hotel.
From the airport
You can catch a train from Colombo to Nanu Oya, which is approximately 45 minutes from the hotel. It's a wonderfully scenic journey.
If you want to hire a car and driver for your whole holiday, enquire through our Tailormade Tour Operator; they can collect you at Colombo airport when you land, drive you to the hotel, then drive you to your onward destination(s) after your stay, as well as taking you on all day trips etc.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Colombo Bandaranaike 174.0 km
- Beach 175.0 km
- Shops 4.0 km
- Restaurant 4.0 km