A sparkling pool, a tranquil vibe and great prices at this friendly hideaway, just inland from quiet beaches”
With only 4 rooms, this sweet guesthouse never feels busy or crowded. There will always be drinks in the honesty bar, a supply of fruit, cakes and biscuits on the sweets table, a quiet corner to watch the sun set, and a lounger by the pool with your name on it. A huge added extra is a wonderful Mediterranean restaurant down the road (Gulli), owned by one of Marta's friends, Luigi. Come morning, a stunning breakfast spread surpasses all expectations in a chic, French-style dining room. It's all very easy.
- Plenty of space - bedrooms are roomy, and there are lots of airy communal areas for very few guests
- Excellent value
- Marta and her family (husband, twin girls and Alfie the beagle) are warm and friendly hosts who also speak excellent English
- A quiet, unspoilt Algarve location and just 5km from the stunning beaches of the Costa Vicentina Natural Park
- Beautiful, peaceful grounds with hiking trails and wonderful views
- No restaurants within walking distance; the setting is rural
- No twin rooms; this is a romantic retreat
- The road to get here is easy to miss, very bumpy and occasionally steep - be sure to bring your detailed directions (sent when you book)
- It's not great for children (lots of steps and tiered terraces), and babies aren't accepted
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Guesthouse
- 4 rooms
- Breakfast (restaurants nearby)
- Ages 2+ accepted but not ideal
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
There are just 4 guest rooms, all comfortable and modern, with walk-in rain showers and private terraces. Lighting is remote-controlled and each room has plenty of wardrobe space plus a mini fridge for keeping drinks cold. Robes and underfloor heating are a nice touch for the colder months, but you don't get any toiletries, so be sure to bring your own.
We stayed in Suite 2, which was spacious and light, with a huge bed and a little sitting area. Suite 4 has a mezzanine level for its bedroom and is the most popular (though all are priced the same). Its terrace has a terrific view across the valley and the pool below. Double Room 1 is the smallest but the most private, tucked away in the gardens. Suite 3 has a four-poster bed.
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Mini fridge
- Underfloor heating
On holiday, everyone wants a splendid breakfast spread and Quinta Natura has one of the most beautiful we've ever seen in such a small B&B. There are bacon and eggs, homemade jams and compotes, pastries, muffins and cakes, breads, cheeses, and little bottles of fresh juice, all artfully displayed. We defy you not to fill your plate and go back for more. Sit at the communal table and chat to other guests, or take your feast out on the terrace and enjoy the dreamy views.
In the evening, head out for dinner at a local restaurant. The nearest is Gulli, on the road to Aljezur. Luigi's take on classic Mediterranean dishes is not to be missed: good value and a change from the usual Portuguese fare. MO a new vegetarian bistro in Aljezur, is highly recommended for lunch.
- Lounge by the pool, take a dip and lounge again. Repeat until the sun goes down
- There are 3 stunning beaches within 10-15 minutes' drive (and heaps more if you're happy to head a little further). Go to Arrifana or Monte Clerigo for rolling Atlantic waves or Amoiera for a gentle river beach
- Learn to surf at Arrifana or Bordeira beaches
- Hike the trails in the beautiful Costa Vicentina Natural Park - there are rolling hills, rocky coves, broad sandy beaches and amazing views
- Marta can help you organise mountain biking, rock climbing and horse riding
- Spend a day in pretty Lagos (20km away) or Monchique, a historic spa town surrounded by woodland (30 minutes' drive away)
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Rock climbing
- Shopping / markets
Marta sometimes allows children (not babies), but Quinta Natura is really aimed at couples - please enquire if you want to bring a little one. This would be a great place for an older family group looking to take over the whole guesthouse. It's not recommended for toddlers as there are lots of stone steps and sharp drops, plus the vibe is peace and quiet.
Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Suites 2 and 4 can fit a rollaway bed or sofabed.
Herdade Quinta Natura is off the main road to Aljezur on Portugal’s south coast, just over an hour's drive from Faro and 20 minutes from Lagos.
Faro Airport is the closest (103km); click on the links below for a list of airlines. Hire a car from the airport; see our rental recommendations. You can park for free at the guesthouse.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Portugal and getting around
- Faro 103.0 km FAR
- Beach 5.0 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km