“A historic townhouse with a Moroccan riad feel, near the eastern Algarve's stunning island beaches”
Once a weekday home for rural girls working in Olhão's fish-canning industry, the townhouse was saved from ruin by 2 architects, a historian and a teacher, who remodelled it into this airy, peaceful haven (no kids allowed). They carefully preserved and exposed original brickwork, turned former dormitories into 9 romantic bedrooms, and adorned communal spaces with local art and antiques from nearby Fuseta. We loved the sheer style of it all.
- Fantastic value, and rates include a great breakfast
- The rooftop terrace: a perfect spot for a lazy morning, an afternoon dip in the heated pool, or a sundowner
- Olhão - only 20 mins from Faro airport, yet an authentic fishing town with cobbled streets and simple restaurants serving charcoal-grilled sardines and jarros of wine
- You’re a taxi-boat ride from some of our favourite Portuguese beaches, in the Ria Formosa
- Managers Guillaume and Antje are incredibly welcoming
- Multi level with steep spiral stairs - rooftop rooms only suitable for hand luggage
- No TVs, air con or music docks (though there is WiFi)
- It can be difficult to park, but you could easily holiday here without a car
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Breakfast only (restaurants nearby)
- Ages 15+ only
- Closed: 21 Feb 2019 - 28 Feb 2019
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The 9 rooms and suites fan out around the tranquil courtyard, with its tinkling fountain and colourful bougainvillea. All are chic white spaces, with gold-gilded mirrors and lamps, handwoven rugs, local antiques and mis-matched chairs. Bathrooms have huge walk-in rain showers, with heated marble underfoot. Be aware that only shower gel and handwash are provided so bring toiletries.
We stayed in one of the first-floor Suites, accessed via huge sliding glass doors that allow light to flood in. These were our favourite rooms as they felt very private. The Rooftop Rooms are beautifully designed and romantic; one has a private terrace, the other opens directly onto the communal rooftop. The Double and Large Double rooms felt airy and spacious, and have their bed tucked under an elegant arch.
- Central heating
- Honesty bar
- Safe box
Breakfast is a delight, prepared each morning by Antje and served at a long table in the art-filled breakfast room. Each guest is brought a daily-changing delicacy (we had local cheeses and meats one day; an omelette the next), as well as fresh fruit (papaya, raspberries, kiwi and grapefruit) and Portuguese bread and cakes (including the traditional pastel de nata). If you have any dietary requirements, just let Antje know.
For lunch and dinner, there are some excellent restaurants nearby. Our favourite is family-run O Galo, which serves delectable dishes such as fishcakes with fried sweet potato, as well as a range of tapas. For rustic and traditional Portuguese food (grilled fish and meat), try Pitéu along the seafront, deservedly popular with locals.
- Restaurants nearby
- Explore Olhão’s pretty cobbled streets, harbour and smart red-brick market. There's a daily spread of veg, fruit and fish, plus a farmers' market on Saturdays with budgies and bunnies, baked goods and pottery
- Get a ferry or taxi boat to island beaches. Our favourites are Ilha da Culatra and Ilha Deserta, though all offer stunning stretches of golden sand; the journey takes you through the Ria Formosa’s lagoons. Further afield, and equally lovely, are the beaches of Fuseta, Barrill and Santa Luzia
- Fuseta's antiques market is a must
- Day-trip to Tavira and admire its hilltop castle, Roman bridge and wonderful collection of Gothic and Renaissance churches. There are pretty boutiques, too, which we never leave empty-handed!
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Shopping / markets
Convento is in the centre of Olhão, a small fishing town on the eastern Algarve, 20 minutes from Faro airport.
Faro airport is the closest (15km) but you could fly into Seville (in Spain, 200km) or Lisbon (300km) if you don't mind a longer drive. Click on the links below for a list of airlines.
Take a taxi or hire a car from the airport; see our rental recommendations. You'll need to park on the street in Olhão.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Portugal and getting around
- Faro 15.0 km FAR
- Seville 200.0 km SEV
- Beach 1.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km