“Boho-chic townhouse with three gorgeous self-contained suites (for 2-4 each) or as a self-catering house (for 10) in historic Stari Grad”
Each occupying its own floor, every suite has an open-plan living space, a well-equipped kitchen, a kingsize bedroom and snazzy ensuite bathroom. Top floor Amanda Suite comes with a roll-top bath and its own roof terrace with sensational views. Lina Suite has a double sofabed in its lounge. You can also rent the whole shebang (sleeping 10 in total) for family parties or gatherings.
Your English hosts, cocktail guru Chris and interior designer Amanda, have a well-established background in hospitality, with former ventures including Blanch House in Brighton and Hidden Bar on Ibiza. Hidden House, lovingly restored from its once semi-derelict state, first to a boutique B&B and now a stylish suite retreat, has been their labour of love for well over a decade. They offer an excellent concierge service, arranging transfers, interesting island adventures and bespoke culinary experiences which includes their cocktail school and wine tasting venue on the ground floor of Hidden House.
- Just three private boutique suites - each on its own floor - all with eclectic decor, combining antiques and retro design pieces
- Stari Grad itself - unspoilt and peaceful, with excellent restaurants
- Chris and Amanda have created an oasis which is both elegant and intimate
- Fantastic value
- Tons to do on Hvar - hiking, cycling, sea swimming and wine tasting
- Full pre-payment prior to stay, by bank transfer; no credit cards accepted
- Outdoor space only available with the top-floor Amanda Suite or if you rent the whole house
- Occasional low-level street sounds, from the local restaurants nearby
- For glitzy nightlife, you'll have to drive over to Hvar Town (20 mins taxi)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Suites
- Self-catering, restaurants and grocery shops nearby
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The three eclectically designed suites - Amanda, Lina and Silvija - are individually styled, but all have wooden floors, exposed stone walls, good kitchens and double glazed windows with wooden shutters. In each you'll find sumptuous linens and cushions, mirrors, plants and an interesting mix of reclaimed wood and exotic memorabilia.
Bathrooms are extravagantly tiled and have walk-in rain showers, Duravit fittings, fluffy towels and L’Occitane toiletries.
We slept soundly in first-floor Lina Suite in its super-comfy kingsize bed with goosedown duvet, soft-toned linens and plump feather pillows - expect natural stone and wood with burnished gold accents. We also peeped into the magical and opulent second-floor Silvija Suite (spirit of the woods) with its forest green and taupe walls, vintage wood, and beautiful bathroom with Piero Fornasett tiles. Both suites have 43” TVs with Netflix and HDMI connectivity.
Luxury open-plan penthouse Amanda Suite, enjoys lots of natural light, has a day bed and a big-screen projector also with HDMI connectivity for film nights. There's an Italian roll-top slipper tub in the ensuite bathroom. Steep wooden steps lead up to a small roof terrace with potted herbs, plus dreamy views over the terracotta rooftops.
You can rent the whole house if you're a larger party of friends and family.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Cots Available
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
Each suite features its own fully-equipped kitchen, with fridge, hob and coffee machine, enabling guests to ‘eat at home’ if desired. Stari Grad has an excellent local grocery market, two good supermarkets, wine shops and an excellent delicatessen, each just five minutes’ walk from your suite. With advance arrangement, Chris and Amanda can arrange for your fridge to be stocked with the essentials in time for your arrival.
The ground floor of Hidden House is home to a cocktail school, so maestro Chris can impart his finely honed skills, and a wine tasting venue.
Hvar Town dominates the travel press, but its restaurants tend to be crowded and over-priced; in contrast, low-profile Stari Grad has several outstanding eateries, with less razzle-dazzle. Within steps of Hidden House, in the town’s ancient squares you’ll find family-run restaurants specialising in not only Dalmatian cuisine but more recently cuisine with an international twist, appealing to the experienced traveller. Produce is locally sourced and wine lists feature excellent selections from Croatian vineyards.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Swim and sunbathe at the town beach, a 10-minute walk from the harbour
- Lunch at a waterfront restaurant then explore Stari Grad's car-free cobbled alleys, stopping at the 16th-century Tvrdalj (aka Hektorovic House) and Stari Grad Museum, exhibiting finds dating back to the arrival of the Greeks in 384BC
- Hike to the top of Purkin Kuk hill (signed footpath leading out from town) for fantastic views down onto Stari Grad Plain
- Hire bicycles and pedal over to the seaside town of Jelsa (10km), calling at Bastijana for wine tasting en route. On the way back, stop for a swim in one of several idyllic coves between Jelsa and Vrboska
- Charter a motorboat or sailing boat (skipper required for those with no sailing experience) and spend a day exploring the Dalmatian islands, jumping on and off board to swim in the turquoise sea
- Spend a day in Hvar Town (22km / 20-minute drive): there's a 16th-century cathedral, 17th-century municipal theatre, 2 monasteries and a hilltop castle, plus great waterside bars and restaurants
- Amanda and Chris can create bespoke experiences for you
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
- Wine tasting
Hidden House has peaceful, romantic and discreetly sophisticated suites, but families are made welcome. Stari Grad is car-free, making it a very safe destination for small ones. Each suite has a well-equipped kitchen, there are plenty of groceries and family-friendly restaurants nearby. If you rent the whole house you get use of the roof terrace.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Lina is best for families as it has a double sofabed, while Sivija and Amanda both have a day bed each, which can be made up for a child. All suites can take a baby cot
Kids Activities on site:
Some teddies, toys for little ones and a few books are available
Kids Activities nearby:
- Safe beaches
- Hire a boat and have a picnic in a quiet cove
- Blow up aqua park 10 mins walk
Families Should Know:
Note that there is a steep ladder style staircase to the roof terrace. Stari Grad is car-free
- Airport: 1 hour (speedboat), 2.5 hours (ferry + taxi/bus)
- Doctor: 5 minutes; Clinic: 15 minutes (Jelsa)
- Shops: 2 minutes
Hidden House is in the centre of Stari Grad, one block from the harbour, on the north shore of Hvar in Dalmatia. It's 10km from Jelsa and 20 minutes' drive from Hvar Town.
Fly to Split (40km away).
From Split, Jadrolinija operates regular ferries (7 daily in summer, journey time 2 hrs) to Stari Grad. In high season there are also near-daily connections to Stari Grad from Pescara and Ancona in Italy.
When you arrive on the island, the owners will meet you in either Stari Grad or Jelsa and lead you to the property so that you don’t have problems finding it first time. You can park for free near the property (on-road).
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Split 40.0 km SPL
- Beach 2.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km