“On a semi-inhabited islet near Hvar, this secluded contemporary villa (sleeping 8) offers minimalist design, rocky beaches and lush nature”
The main living space combines a kitchen area, a dining table, and a lounge with a fireplace. Three double doors open onto a terrace, shaded by white triangular awnings, like sails. Beyond, lies a lovely semi-wild garden, with flowering shrubs, olive and fig trees, Dalmatian oaks hung with hammocks, and giant black bean-bags. Footpaths lead to several secluded bays, popular with yachters, while other activities include sightseeing in Hvar and water-sports. With four double rooms, this is a superb eco-friendly retreat for a family with older kids or group of friends.
- A blissfully peaceful location, with two nearby beaches on the north and south coasts
- We loved the breezy garden with its naturally-shaded sun-beds, beanbags, swing chair and tables
- And the slick minimalist interiors – light, airy and spacious, with clean lines and no clutter
- You're near trendy Hvar Town, with its noble stone buildings, excellent restaurants and buzzing nightlife
- Nearby activities include sea-kayaking, SUP, sailing, scuba diving, cycling and wine tasting
- The house is at the far end of a semi-inhabited islet, so you will be very isolated
- No shops nearby, so plan meals in advance; you get two free shopping trips to Hvar with Mr. Novak (who lives nearby)
- No swimming pool, and the coast here is generally rocky rather than sandy - but the sea is crystal clear!
- When we visited (and photographed), the plants and landscaping were not yet fully established
- No credit cards accepted and a EUR500 security deposit required
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Villa
- All ages welcome
- Closed: November-March
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
There are four double bedrooms. All have wooden floors, big comfy beds, minimalist wooden furniture, and stone-tiled bathrooms with a glass-sided walk-in shower and an elegant white oval hand-basin. Big white round-top mosquito nets can be hung over the beds, creating a romantic atmosphere.
From the living space, an open wood-and-metal staircase leads up to the two master bedrooms. Both have king-size beds (which can be divided to make two singles), sky-light windows, and spacious bathrooms. On the ground-floor, there are two slightly smaller bedrooms, with queen-size beds, and double doors opening onto small north-facing terraces. These rooms might be better for early-risers, while those who like to sleep in late will appreciate the seclusion of the upstairs rooms.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
The main living space has a modern built-in kitchen, with a sink, gas oven, fridge and dishwasher. There's an espresso coffee machine, plus cutlery, glasses, ceramic kitchenware, and pots and pans, and a superb pear-wood dining table (seating eight). For open-air dining, in the garden there's a table shaded by trees and lit by hanging lamps, plus a covered outdoor kitchen with a stone bread oven and barbecue.
On arrival, i-escape guests will find a bottle of wine, a fruit basket and a plate of traditional Dalmatian fare such as ham, cheese and olives (let them know if you prefer vegetarian produce). Supplies also include bottled water, juice, milk, salt, pepper, oil, butter and vinegar. You're welcome to pick seasonal vegetables and fresh herbs from the wooden planter boxes. The weekly rate includes two shopping deliveries from Hvar Town, which is where the nearest shops are (though there is a small supermarket in the ACY Marine 7 minutes away by boat and 45 minutes on foot). The owners can deliver homemade local specialities on request, such as brodet (fish casserole) or pašticada (beef stewed in sweet wine) or vegetarian dishes – please order a couple of days in advance.
Sveti Klement has two very informal eateries, The Fishermans House and Dionis, both a short boat ride away (offered free twice per week; or 20 mins' walk). A one-hour walk away lies Palmizana, a restaurant in an open-air art gallery. Alternatively, take a boat to Hvar Town, packed with pizzerias, sushi bars and up-market seafood restaurants.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Dinner by arrangement
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Lunch by arrangement
- Meal delivery service
- Spend your first day relaxing below the trees in the garden, and swimming and sunbathing at the two nearby beaches
- Walk the length of Sveti Klement islet, stopping at secluded pebble coves and waterside eateries along the way
- Explore Hvar Town's elegant pedestrian-only centre – see the Venetian-era cathedral and hilltop castle, then lose yourself in the stone alleys, filled with boutiques, cafes, wine bars and restaurants
- Hvar also offers a good range of watersports to try out
- Take private boat trips around neighbouring islands – the owners will arrange this for you on request
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
- Stand-up paddle boarding
- Wine tasting
Adventurous older kids will absolutely love it here. The islet is traffic-free and the garden and surrounding grounds offer endless exploring. They will relish swimming in the sea (though those with sensitive feet might need rubber beach shoes on the pebbles and rocks) and teenagers can burn off surplus energy on water-sports; it's fun preparing meals in the outdoor kitchen. We don't think the location works well for toddlers and pre-school age kids given the rocky terrain and lack of sandy beaches.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The two upstairs bedrooms can be configured as twin rooms. There are no extra beds.
- Baby cot
- High chair
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Board games
Kids Activities nearby:
- Safe beaches
Families Should Know:
There's no swimming pool at the house, but there are two beaches within a short stroll. Keep an eye on children at the water's edge. Note that the beaches here are rocky and shingly rather than sandy so we don't recommend the house for toddlers and pre-schoolers.
- Airport: 1 hour (Split by speedboat)
- Hospital: 15 minutes (Hvar Town)
- Shops: 15 minutes (Hvar Town)
The Pakleni Island Hideaway is on the west end of Sveti Klement islet, in the Pakleni archipelago. It's a short boat ride from Hvar Town, on the island of Hvar.
Fly to Split.
From the Airport
Take the airport bus or a taxi to Split's port, then either catch a catamaran direct to Hvar Town (1 hour) or a ferry to Stari Grad (2.5 hours) and then taxi or bus to Hvar Town (20 mins). From Mala Garška bay (2km west of the centre of Hvar Town), the owners will transport you by motorboat to Pakleni Island Hideaway (journey time 15 min; arrival and departure transfers to and from Hvar are free).
Alternatively, you can book a taxi + speedboat transfer from the airport (extra cost) which takes an hour in total.
Detailed directions will be sent to you once your booking is confirmed.
- Split 50.0 km
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 7.0 km
- Restaurant 1.5 km