Step inside and discover an 1826 interior that’s had a contemporary facelift. There are light concrete walls on one side of reception, dark wood walls on the other. Big paper lamp shades hang from the ceiling, cream sofas and chairs fill the lobby behind. Vases of flowers stand in alcoves, and smoked-glass tables hold the morning papers. There’s also a tapas bar for light bites and, up top, a fantastic roof terrace where you can kick back with a cocktail. If you looking for a sleek, super-convenient and low-cost Barcelona base, you’ve found it.
- An excellent little on-site tapas bar and fabulous roof terrace serving cocktails (open seasonally)
- Flexible bedroom accommodation: choose from single, double and twin options, or family rooms sleeping up to 4. Many rooms have terraces or balconies
- A fab central location near the action, but away from the noisier districts
- Great value and charming service
- Breakfast is an uninspiring buffet and costs extra, but you're in Barcelona, so there are plenty of lovely local cafés
- The dark, masculine décor isn't to everyone's taste
- The walls are thin (sounds may travel) and there's some construction work taking place nearby (as is the case across much of the city)
- The cheaper rooms are fairly small
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 46 rooms
- Restaurant and bar (open daily; often closed in August)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car not necessary
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
All rooms are immaculate. On our last visit we stayed in a Superior Room overlooking a quiet courtyard at the rear of the hotel. We loved the terrace with its table and easy chairs - perfect for making the most of the evening sun. Other Superior Rooms have balconies opening onto the lively street below, with double-glazing to help keep the peace at night.
Double Rooms are a little smaller. The hotel also has Family Rooms and a couple of Single Rooms without external windows.
Sleek bathrooms come with power showers, fluffy towels and a few toiletries. You get all the necessary bits and bobs, too: minibars, hairdryers, air-conditioning, WiFi, good lighting.
The rather masculine décor blends moody tones of slate grey, midnight blue, chocolate brown and dark gold with plenty of contrasting textures and tactile surfaces. You’ll find leather or suede headboards, marble floors, voile curtains, silky bedcovers, plumped-up pillows, brushed-velvet cushions and perhaps an armchair if there’s space.
- Safe box
The hotel has its own great-value tapas bar, Bruc 33, which feels like an independent establishment. Dishes were well presented and we loved our goats cheese salad. Note that it often closes for a month or so around August. For sundowners, the roof terrace cocktails are superb - a tad more expensive, but worth it. (Open from May to October.)
In the morning, a typical Spanish continental buffet breakfast is served. It'll set you up for the day, but we'd be tempted to head out to one of the local cafes in search of churros y chocolate instead.
You won’t have any trouble finding a good bite beyond Constanza’s doors. You’re on the southern tip of the Eixample, and El Born, El Raval and the Barri Gòtic are all within walking distance, so you can pretty much follow your nose and end up at some fabulous eatery without having to rely too much on luck.
- Restaurants nearby
- Gaudí's most famous buildings - La Pedrera, Casa Batlló and the Sagrada Familia - are all within a short walk. Another, Casa Calvert (now a restaurant), is around the corner
- Shopaholics will find heaven on Passeig de Gràcia, which is a 5-minute stroll. You can also browse the wares at massive department store El Corte Ingles, close by on Plaça de Catalunya
- Explore the Barri Gòtic, with its narrow, shop-lined alleyways and tree-shaded squares. Make sure you stop off at the magnificent cathedral, which has a soaring stone-laced facade, gothic gargoyles, and a gaggle of geese guarding its leafy cloister
- Just beyond the Barri Gòtic is El Born, a trendy district packed with independent boutiques and buzzing bars.
- Excellent museums in the city include the Picasso museum, the MACBA (Barcelona's modern art gallery, set in El Raval) and the Joan Miró foundation
- Head north west to Nou Camp for a tour of FC Barcelona’s stadium. A short cab or metro ride will get you there within 10 minutes
- Or head south to the beach - about 20 minutes by foot (10 by cab or metro)
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
Children of all ages are welcome, and you're well placed to explore the city (without being in the thick of it).
Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Family Rooms can sleep 4; each has a double/twin bedroom with an exterior window, an adjoining space with a double sofabed, and an ensuite bathroom. The single rooms are useful for teenagers who want their own space. Superior Rooms can hold an extra bed and baby cot.
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available, Family Rooms
Baby cots are available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Hotel Constanza is located at the southern end of the Eixample district in central Barcelona. It's a 5-minute walk from the Urquinaona, Plaça de Catalunya and Passeig de Gràcia metro stations.
Barcelona's El Prat Airport (20km away) is served by numerous international carriers. You can take a taxi straight to the hotel, or catch one of the frequent buses and trains which run from the airport direct to Plaça de Catalunya and Passeig de Gràcia respectively.
Take the mid-afternoon Eurostar from London to Paris, then transfer to the overnight sleeper to Barcelona - see Seat 61 for further details.
It's unlikely you'll need a car in Barcelona, but if you want to hire one to explore the surrounding countryside, see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Barcelona and getting around
- Barcelona El Prat 20.0 km BCN
- Barcelona El Prat 160.0 km GRO
- Beach 2.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km