“Eye-popping design, perfect hospitality and sustainability combine in this grand 18th-century townhouse in Mahón’s historic centre”
A cosy communal lounge offers plenty of comfy low-slung seating to leaf through the literature. There are eight extremely stylish rooms scattered across the building, and downstairs the old bodega provides a vaulted breakfast room and shared kitchen for guests to prepare their own food. Having done away with the fuss of check-in, everything is coordinated in advance via phones or email. Host and owner, Ignasi, has perfected the balancing act of hospitality, leaving guests to enjoy the space as if it were their own home, while making himself available 24/7 for anything from restaurant tips to taxi bookings. As well as the perfect base from which to explore the Menorcan capital and its surrounds, the colourful and characterful Hotel Hevresac is an attraction in its own right.
- Idiosyncratic mix of 18th-century charm, contemporary art and tasteful modern refurb throughout
- Personal virtual concierge service available around the clock – Ignasi is a goldmine of local info
- Charming guest rooms with big comfy beds, original period features and lots of natural light
- A fully-equipped kitchen available for guests’ use - ideal for preparing day trip picnics
- Choice of regular or electric bikes available to hire on-site
- The hotel doesn't have anything in the way of spa or pool facilities, but Ignasi can assist with booking treatments in the area
- There’s no restaurant but there are lots of places to eat nearby, plus you have the option to self-cater in the communal kitchen
- No televisions in guest rooms (though tablets can be provided)
- Minimum stay over July (two nights) and August (three nights)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Breakfast + walk to restaurants
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
- Laundry service
- Electric car charger
The eight rooms continue in the same stylistic vein as the rest of the hotel. Fabulous original features such as busy Art Nouveau tiling, wood beam ceilings and large sash windows have been conscientiously preserved, with the addition of pine carpentry, vintage furnishings, and modern artwork. Bathrooms all come with roomy rainfall showers and organic handmade soap and shampoo. There are no TVs, but loaner iPads are available for those who ask.
We loved our room (Suite with Terrace) with its lofty ceilings, couples-friendly cast-iron roll-top tub, and secluded terrace suitable for a spot of sun-worshipping. Most rooms provide pleasant views over the quiet lanes, with a top-floor Duplex Suite also extending to a street-view terrace. Digital thermostats control in-room heating and cooling, which uses clean and sustainable aerothermal energy, while natural cork provides soundproofing. Accommodation here is as green as it is gorgeous.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Safe box
Breakfast takes place in the hotel’s long cellar dining room, comprising of a small spread of fresh fruit, yoghurt, pastries and breads. Typical island produce such as finely shaved Menorcan cheese, local ham and cured sobrasada sausage are also offered, as is freshly squeezed orange juice and cooked-to-order eggs.
While a full kitchen is available if you want to cook your own meals, most guests use it for making snacks and sandwiches for excursions. For dining out, there’s certainly no shortage of restaurants within a short stroll of the hotel, ranging from local tapas bars to upmarket eateries. Ignasi sends all guests a comprehensive list of tried-and-tested recommendations with his welcome messages.
The basement also has an honesty bar with a selection of soft drinks, beer, wine and Menorcan gin. Guests can help themselves to tea, coffee and pastries free of charge, too.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Rent a regular cycle or e-bike from the hotel and explore the city’s picturesque old town and huge natural harbour.
- Take a walking tour around the capital’s architectural gems, including the imposing Santa Maria church with its famous organ and lovely neoclassical interiors.
- Borrow a towel and parasol and day trip to one of the many surrounding beaches, either on the rugged but quieter north side of the island or the more developed southeast coast with its string of sheltered sandy coves.
- Military buffs will love a visit to the Mola Fortress that overlooks the mouth of Mahón’s harbour. A tour takes about 1.5 hours, or you can hire a buggy to zip around the numerous viewpoints and galleries.
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Museums / galleries
- Plantlife / flora
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
The unstuffy vibe at Hotel Hevresac makes it welcoming for guests of all ages, though there’s little specifically geared towards children. Families with kids will certainly find the basement kitchen useful, and there are also a few table-top games downstairs to keep the little ones distracted. Infants aged 0-3 stay for free and from 4 years upwards children are charged a supplement.
Family friendly accommodation:
The hotel’s Duplex Suite (with a terrace) is ideal for families, accommodating two parents and up to three children (plus room for a cot). There’s also the family-friendly option of two rooms with an interconnecting hallway and choice of double or twin beds. A larger suite also allows for one or two extra single beds.
- High chair
- Baby bedding
- Night light
- Baby bath
- Bottle warming
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities nearby:
- Boat trips
- Mao harbour
- Freginal park has a playground
- Walks along harbour
- Small zoo 10 mins' drive away
- Farms to visit
- Airport: 15 minutes
- Hospital: 10 minutes
- Shops: 5-10 minutes
Hotel Hevresac is located in the historic centre of Menorca’s capital, Mahón, on the east side of the island.
Mahon (6km) is Menorca's only airport.
From the Airport:
It’s a 10-15 minute taxi ride to the hotel. The L10 bus also connects from the airport to the city centre.
If you are planning on exploring further afield, we recommend that you hire a car from the airport. There are several places to park within a short walk of the hotel, including one free public car park in Sinia d'Es Cuc. There's a free car park close to the hotel.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Mahon (Maó) 5.2 km MAH
- Beach 5.0 km
- Shops 0.3 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km