Fashionable boutique hotel on the fringes of Bad Gastein with an Aveda spa and stunning views of glorious Alpine peaks”
During the day, there's superb Alpine skiing or hiking and biking, depending on the season. Late afternoon might mean a snooze on the sunny terrace overlooking the mountains or a soak in the Aveda spa’s thermal baths. Evenings meals are friendly, with delicious dishes and wine consumed at communal tables if you book half board. Later, couples mingle by the fire pit while amiable hip staff serve up gin cocktails and mellow music. Austria’s artists, actors and creative set have already claimed Miramonte as their own – we can't wait to join them.
- Revitalising views; book a Panorama Room with a balcony for extra wow
- Breakfast is served until a leisurely 11.30am
- Bad Gastein’s famous hot spring bubbles right into the hotel – spa baths in radon-enhanced waters are both soothing and revitalizing
- Ski storage, heated boot-drying racks; free shuttle service to the slopes. The hotel can help with ski and bike hire
- Generous extras include afternoon tea, open-air movie nights, coffee and pastries, DJs and live music nights
- The drive here can be tricky and there's limited on-street parallel parking (fun in the snow!). You're best off getting a transfer
- Low-key staff don’t wear uniforms so are sometimes difficult to track down
- No twin rooms; no minibar, fridge, coffee/tea equipment or safe in the rooms; no laundry or room service
- Traditional saunas are shared with both genders and taken in the nude. Not necessarily a low but something to be aware of!
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 36 rooms
- Restaurant & bar (open daily)
- Welcome but not ideal
- Open all year
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
The retro bedrooms are spread over 4 floors. All have super-comfy beds with Swiss-pine headboards, 50s-style chairs and brightly tiled bathrooms. Miramonte's trademark style is evident throughout: we love the authentic cowhide rugs and TVs on tripods. Spacious wardrobes are perfect for puffy ski wear.
If a knock-out vista is paramount, choose a Panorama Room. These have long balconies overlooking the green Gastein valley and the snow-dusted peaks above. Small Panorama balconies have tables and benches; Large and Medium Panoramas also have hammocks. Double and Large Double Rooms face the back hillside so don’t have mountain views, though they're equally gorgeous inside. For those watching the Euros or single travellers, there are a few bijou Budget rooms.
- Central heating
- Ipod dock
- Satellite TV
A Continental breakfast is available until a leisurely 11.30am – ideal for those sleeping off their après-ski! There's cheese and cold cuts, sheep yogurt and homemade jam, fresh fruit and herbal smoothies. On sunny days, take your food out on the terrace.
In the afternoon, hearty soup, fresh bread and a variety of cakes are laid out in the hotel lounge – all complimentary and just the ticket after a strenuous morning on the slopes or the trails.
Later, for those on a half-board stay, sociable dinners are served at the restaurant’s scrubbed-pine communal tables – 4 courses, with vegan options, and Austrian and German wines. Tasty starters include smoked trout with horseradish; mains are wholesome and slow-cooked, like classic favourite goulash and dumplings.
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Skiing and boarding: there are 200km of slopes in the Gastein valley, some start at 2,700 km above sea level. The hotel offers free shuttles to the lifts
- Other snowsports - there are cross-country ski tracks, snowshoe tours in the Hohe Tauern Alps, and day and night sledding at Bellevue Alm
- In summer, enjoy fabulous hiking and biking along 100km of trails on the hotel's doorstep; the walk along the Kaiser Wilhelm Promenade has particularly gorgeous views
- The hotel's Aveda spa has therapeutic thermal baths (good for sore muscles), plus a sauna, steam room and wealth of gorgeous holistic treatments - shiatsu, hot-stone fusion and Ayurvedic foot massages, body wraps and facials using plant extracts. There are hanging beds with treetop views for post-treatment relaxation. Miramonte runs twice-daily yoga classes, too (outdoors in summer)
- Explore Bad Gastein: it’s a 10-minute walk to the 19th-century spa town with its iconic waterfall, the source of the healing radon-infused spring waters
- Just chill: the sun-trap terrace, the groovy bar lounge, the balcony hammock... there are plenty of places to just kick back
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Mountain biking
- Well being
Children are welcome, but the hotel isn't really aimed at families. If you're travelling with kids you may prefer Miramonte’s sister hotel Haus Hirt in Bad Gastein, which is super family friendly.
Babies (0-1 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
All rooms can fit a baby cot. Double Rooms Large/Panorama Large can fit 1-2 extra guests on a sofabed; Double Room Panorama Medium can fit 1 extra guest on a rollaway bed.
Baby cots and high chairs
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Miramonte is located in the Gastein valley, outside the spa town of Bad Gastein, in the Hohe Tauern Alps region.
Fly into Salzburg (100km / 1.5 hrs), Innsbruck (200km / 3 hrs) or Munich (265 km / 3 hrs). Click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airport:
There are regular shuttles from the airports, which can be booked via Rudigier. Alternatively see our car rental recommendations.
Euro, Intercity and Express trains stop at Bad Gastein railway station (eg direct connection Munich to Gastein), and there's a free shuttle service to the hotel.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Salzburg 100.0 km SZG
- Innsbruck 200.0 km INN
- Beach 310.0 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km