Modern design hotel in the Salzburg Alps with stylish rooms, a stunning wellness centre and on-your-doorstep mountain activities”
The 54 stylish rooms are made entirely of ‘moon timber’ (felled during a positive phase of the moon), believed to lower your heartrate and promote feelings of calm. It’s exactly this vibe that makes Forsthofalm so special. From 5-course organic dinners and hand-picked herbal massages, to romantic petal-filled baths and alfresco hot tubs, you’ll come away feel properly pampered. Ideal for honeymooners, couples or friends, it’s rare to find somewhere that steak-loving yogis and adrenaline-junkie vegans will be equally at ease. We think it sounds like the perfect place for a relaxing but active mountain break and can’t wait to breathe in that fresh Alpine air.
- The beautiful setting in the Leogang mountains, one of Austria’s biggest ski areas. You're 50m from a chairlift, so ski-in, ski-out. Great hiking and biking access in summer, too
- Hugely romantic: suspended beds and saunas in some suites, and an outdoor champagne bar with a firepit and loungerbeds
- A steaming rooftop indoor/outdoor pool and wonderful spa; free daily yoga sessions and fitness classes
- Rates include an organic breakfast, afternoon tea and a delicious-sounding 5-course dinner with plenty of veggie/vegan options
- Good value off-season
- The valley roads get congested during peak winter season; allow plenty of travel time
- In low snow conditions, snow cannons run throughout the night; rooms on the forest side are quieter
- This is a European spa so expect plenty of nudity
- Avoid school holidays if you want a romantic break. Children aren’t allowed in the pool after 3pm
- Lunch is only served in winter; shops are a 10-minute drive away for stocking up on snacks
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 54 rooms
- Half-board stays
- Allowed but not ideal
- Open all year
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Ski rental
Rooms are elegantly designed from solid pine, with floor-to-ceiling windows to showcase the huge views. You’ll find no kitsch cowbells or Lederhosen here; just sleek, modern double beds (2 duvets), cosy colourful sofas and a pervasive feeling of calm. Each has a spacious private terrace and ensuite bathroom with rain shower or bathtub.
Little Eden rooms are the best value, with lovely curved rocking chairs for admiring the view. For extra luxury, choose one of the spacious suite options. We love the sound of the Alm SPA Suite with its infrared sauna and romantic free-standing bathtub. There’s a double daybed for relaxing and separate bedroom with walk-in wardrobe. Equally plush are the penthouse 180 Grad Living Suites. With superb panoramic views, separate sitting areas with glass wood-burners and home cinemas, they’re a luxurious space for couples. Secret Forest Suites have suspended beds and balconies with private saunas, while the Mountain Love Suites feature an open fire and bathroom with mountain views. Big Eden suites sleep up to 4 and are the best option for families.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
Food at Forsthofalm is a highlight and the nutritionally balanced, creative menu includes some excellent vegan options. The organic ingredients are locally sourced and peppered with herbs from the kitchen garden. Wake up to the smell of fresh bread and a sumptuous buffet breakfast. Press your own juice and mix a bespoke bircher muesli before loading up your plate with real honeycomb, smoked salmon or eggs cooked to order. You'll even be offered sparkling wine.
Lunch is available during winter; otherwise hold out for Afternoon Tea served 3-5pm in the laid-back Alm lounge. Soups, salads, pastries and cakes help to refuel before pre-dinner cocktails in the outdoor champagne bar with a firepit and loungerbeds.
Fancy 5-course dinners in the candlelit Sinn-Reich restaurant feature organic meat, fish and veg cooked to perfection in the charcoal grill. Leave room for dessert and huge selection of cheese - accompanied by a bottle of biodynamic wine from the impressive cellar.
- Coffee / tea making
- Organic produce
- Room service
- Relax with a swim, sauna and a stunning view in the hotel's rooftop wellness centre; indulge in a rejuvenating facial, massage or bespoke treatment
- Free yoga, meditation and fitness sessions are offered throughout the day. Cocktail-making classes and BBQs on the terrace are available for an extra cost
- In winter, enjoy ski-in/ski-out access to the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang, which has 270km of piste and 73 lifts; ski down to the village of Saalbach with its cafés, bars and boutiques
- Practise your frontside grabs in the nearby Nitro Snowpark, with its half pipes, learning slopes and annual competitions
- In warmer months, hike one of the 294 trails in the stunning Leogang area; highly recommended is the 2- to 3-hour trek up to Birnbachloch rock cave. Summer rates at the hotel include a free lift pass
- Mountain bikers will enjoy the bike park next to the hotel and 720km of routes; e-bikes are available for those averse to hills
- Abundant other activities are available including archery, flying fox, golf, high ropes, helicopter rides, snowshoeing, tobogganing and sleigh rides
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Mountain biking
- Well being
Children are welcome on request, but it's principally an adult hotel. Kids aren't allowed in the swimming pool after 3pm.
Family friendly accommodation:
The best rooms for families are the Big Eden suites, which are open-plan with sofabeds for up to 2 children.
Forsthofalm is in a peaceful spot halfway up a ski slope, 10 minutes' drive from the village of Leogang in northwest Austria.
Fly into Salzburg (just over an hour's drive), Innsbruck (2 hours) or Munich (2.5 hours).
From the Airport
There are regular shuttles to Leogang; book in advance. Alternatively, the hotel can provide door-to-door transfers. If you're planning to drive here, remember that if you hire a car in Germany/your route goes through Germany, there may be cross-border charges. Don't forget to purchase a vignette (toll sticker) before driving on an Austrian autobahn. See our car rental recommendations. The hotel has a car park (small nightly charge).
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Salzburg 76.0 km
- Innsbruck 126.0 km
- Beach 0.0 km
- Shops 5.0 km
- Restaurant 5.0 km