“Scandi-chic chalet hotel in the Austrian Alps, with an excellent spa, friendly service and gloriously fresh mountain air”
This is exactly the kind of place Sankt Anton am Arlberg is. Although the village has seen a growth in posh ski tourism in the last 30 years, it has clearly not forgotten its charming Austrian roots. Perhaps it was this authenticity that drew legendary Swedish hoteliers Mikael and Johanna Landstrom to open their 3rd hotel here, amongst the snow-capped peaks and fresh mountain air. Or perhaps they just saw a golden opportunity. Either way, Valluga has found its niche perfectly, offering what no other hotel in Sankt Anton does: modern styling, excellent value and a groovy international vibe. This one definitely gets the Almatrieb crown.
- Exactly what you want from a ski hotel - cosy, warm and scenic, in a charming Alpine village. Plus you can walk to the lifts
- Sankt Anton am Arlberg is renowned for its excellent skiing conditions and reliable snow extending right down to the villages. There are 305km of pistes in the resort, challenging runs and world-class après ski entertainment
- Just 26 stylish, top-quality rooms, with Nespresso machines, Marshall speakers, Dux beds and free minibars
- Like sister hotels Esplendido and Portixol in Mallorca, Valluga’s ever-smiling multilingual staff are second to none
- Good value for the region, especially in the summer season when you can hike, bike and river raft here
- Classy spa with a heated pool, imaginative treatments, a relaxation room with water beds, and 4 types of sauna
- A minimum 5-night stay and a strict cancellation policy
- The restaurant is only open in the winter season, and we've heard the food gets a little repetitive; breakfast is fabulous though!
- Getting picky: no thermostats in the bedrooms, and ours was a bit too toasty
- There will be major construction on the main street near the hotel (Mon-Sat 0700-1900) until late November 2018
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant open daily in winter; B&B only in summer
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Indoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
Valluga’s gorgeously cosy rooms are spread out over 3 levels in the chalet-style building. All are decorated with a firm nod to the owners’ Scandinavian roots (quality and simplicity), married with a playful Tyrolean twist (colourful throw pillows, faux-fur blankets, and stags absolutely everywhere).
There are various categories, starting from straightforward Doubles with a small sitting area and mountain-view balcony, all the way up to 2-bedroom Large Family Suites and the rather regal XL Family Suite, which has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
Whichever you choose, expect top-quality brands: Nespresso machines, Marshall speakers, Dux beds and Graff showers; toiletries are by Kerstin Florian and REN. We also appreciated the complimentary minibar, stocked with local beers and Austrian spring water.
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- DVD player
- Ipod dock
- Safe box
A fantastic breakfast sets you up perfectly for a long day on the ski slopes or a morning hike along a meandering Alpine river. There's a huge array of meats and Austrian cheeses, freshly baked pastries, and the most fancy build-your-own-muesli we’ve ever seen (macadamia nut and candied pineapple choco-muesli? No problem!). Hot eggs and coffee can be ordered from the ever-smiling servers, and a fresh-squeezed orange juice station is an unexpected taste of sunshine.
Dinner consists of a salad buffet, a choice of daily-changing mains (think monkfish with mussels, or a satisfying local dish like schnitzel), and a dessert buffet to finish. Before or after your meal drink cocktails in the cool bar.
The restaurant is closed for dinner in the summer season, but there are plenty of other restaurants a short walk away. We loved good-value Maximilian’s; the Käsespätzle (egg noodles with cheese sauce) are not to be missed.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Restaurants nearby
- Sankt Anton lies snugly between the best ski slopes in the region, and is well connected to the summits via a collection of Bergbahnen (Alpine cable cars). There's no shortage of ski schools and gear-rental shops in the village, and Valluga Hotel has a ski storage room with heated lockers so your boots are dry each morning.
- Laze in the hotel spa. Dip in the heated pool, read a book in the relaxation room, which has water beds, and hop between 4 varieties of sauna: Finnish, Sanarium, Turkish bath and infrared cabin. The treatment list sounds divine, too, with Mountain Fresh facials and Alpine Foot Massages
- There's a stylish lounge for winter evenings, with a roaring fire and billiards table
- In summer, lace up your boots, grab your sticks and go hiking. The scenery in the area is truly stunning, and there are all-levels of hikes available, plus guided options
- Tyrol is a famed spot for mountain biking, with almost 4,000km of routes. The via ferrata around Sankt Anton is excellent, too (a hybrid of scrambling and rock climbing)
- Many activities in the village and surrounds are completely free in summer, including night hikes and archery - see our 'Authors Tips' for details
Families are welcome at Valluga, and the region is perfect for older, outdoorsy children year-round. Although there are no specific children's areas/activities at the hotel, staff are very friendly and there's a kids' menu in the winter months.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
All but the smallest 2 categories (Single and Double) can accommodate a family. Family Suites have a kingsize and twin bedroom, with a shared bathroom (shower/tub) and living area. Large Family Suites and Valluga Suites also have a kingsize and twin bedroom, and their living area has a sofabed in the lounge for 2 additional children. The massive XL Family Suite is essentially a medium-sized apartment with 3 kingsize bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a living area.
Baby cots and high chairs
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities nearby:
- Skiing and snowboarding (ski schools available)
- Airport: 90km (Innsbruck)
- Shop: 2 minutes' walk
- Hospital: 30km (Kams)
Valluga Hotel is in the charming mountain village of Sankt Anton am Arlberg, in the Austrian state of Tyrol (Tirol).
Most guests fly into Zurich (200km), it's well serviced year-round, but be sure to hire a car that allows you to cross the border. Alternatively, there's Innsbruck (90km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airport:
You'll need to hire a car to get here (unless you arrive by train) - see our car rental recommendations. The hotel has a free car park.
Austria has an extensive and punctual train network, and Sankt Anton's train station is a short walk from the hotel. Zurich is 2 hours away, Innsbruck is 70 min, and Munich is 3.5 hrs (via Innsbruck).
Detailed directions will be sent to you when the booking is confirmed through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Austria and getting around
- Innsbruck 92.0 km INN
- Zurich (Switzerland) 201.0 km ZUR
- Beach 0.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km