You'll find classy but not over-fancy rooms and suites plus 4 newer apartments a short stroll away; it's a small hotel by Taormina's standards, with a lush garden and a bijou pool terraced above the rose-coloured tiles of an ancient chapel. Interiors pay homage to both Sicilian and Florentine heritage - think classical motifs and wrought iron balconies - while placing a premium on comfort. Delectable meals are enjoyed in the rooftop restaurant and dining terrace, which has fabulous 270-degree views from Etna round to the Calabrian coast; a sumptuous daily buffet sets the gold standard for breakfasts. The town's Greek amphitheatre, bustling centre and twin coves are within walking distance, and Mt Etna is a short drive away.
- Splendidly sited above the sea among abundant subtropical vegetation, this hotel could not be anywhere other than Taormina
- Roof terrace with spectacular views of Mt Etna and the sea by day, and candlelit at night for a quiet aperitif or a romantic meal
- Rooms have small balconies with sea views or terraces overlooking the garden
- Witty attention to detail in the décor
- The hotel has partnerships with local beach clubs and can arrange a day at the beach, including shuttle bus, for a charge
- Not cheap - but worth every euro
- Availability is a problem in high season, so book ahead
- Located on the corner of a relatively busy road, though we didn't hear any traffic noise
- The exposed catacombs on the ground floor aren't everyone's cup of tea, although they have been incorporated into a stylish lounge area
- Candles in the public spaces weren't lit at night when we visited
- No on-site parking, but valet parking is available for a daily charge
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 23 rooms + 4 apartments + 1 villa
- Restaurant and bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
The hotel's luxurious 23 rooms and suites are thoughtfully laid out. Some have small Juliet balconies with sea views, others have terraces overlooking the pool area. Inside each, the decor is elegant and contemporary, with neutral tones and small pops of colour. Bathrooms, with Pierre Cardin pedestal sinks, travertine walls, bathtubs or large-head showers, have floors of gold-brushed lava and are stocked with toiletries by Etro.
There are also 4 apartments set within 150 metres from the hotel. Apartment 1, where we stayed, has a large dressing room and living room; Apartment 2 is ideal for families with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms; Apartment 3 - the 'Love Nest' - on the top floor has a private sun terrace and terrific sea views; Apartment 4 is the largest (sleeping up to 5) and has a small garden plus a panoramic terrace with excellent views.
For the ultimate in luxury book the two-storey Teatro Greco Historic House in the centre of Taormina close to the Greek amphitheatre. It sleeps up to 10 in four double bedrooms plus a couple of sofa beds, a full kitchen and two big terraces plus wonderful panoramic views from the top floor. This comes with daily cleaning, concierge services and you can request a chef.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Extra beds
- Family friendly
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Some consider Villa Carlotta's best attribute to be the roof terrace, with its wonderful panoramic views of Mt Etna and the Ionian Sea as far as Calabria. It’s a spectacular place to start the day, and is truly romantic at night when candlelit and hung with Indian star lights.
Breakfasts are superabundant, with several different homemade cakes and tarts, local cheeses, hams and salami, fruit, yoghurt, juices and brunch-like Sicilian dishes such as frittata, caponata and salads spread over different tables.
For lunch and dinner there’s a Sicilian-focused menu of pasta dishes, risottos, meat, fish, salads and sandwiches. There's a also dedicated pastry chef, and cooking demonstrations are available on request. At 6pm every day free canapés are served in the dining room.
The Apartments and Villa al Mare have kitchen/ettes equipped for long stays: expect a hob, oven, dishwasher, coffee machine, toaster, microwave, blender, ample equipment, cleaning materials and a washer/dryer machine. Fridge-freezers are stocked with milk and water for your arrival. Note that those in Villa al Mare do not get breakfast included.
Taormina’s many restaurants are a short stroll away - staff can advise.
- Children's meals
- Family friendly
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Wander the historic, flower-filled streets of central Taormina, a stroll away, and browse the many boutiques
- Visit Taormina’s beautifully sited Greek amphitheatre, perched on a cliff with views across the bay to Mt Etna
- Spend the day on the beach at Mazzarò or Isola Bella (the hotel runs a free shuttle service during the summer months), snorkelling in its crystal-clear waters protected by a picturesque offshore islet, and lunching in one of the fish restaurants. Villa Carlotta is just 5 minutes from the cable car
- Take a bus or taxi up to the crow’s nest village of Castelmola, and sip iced almond wine as you watch the sunset
- Further afield, explore the dramatic rock formations of the Alcantara gorge, and go rafting along its river
- Drive to the little hill town of Castiglione di Sicilia, to visit a tiny cheese factory
- Drive, or take a tour, up Mt Etna. Roads twist up through the national park, and there's a cable car on the southern side
- Visit the prestigious wineries on the slopes of Etna, where there are some of the few vineyards in Europe to have survived phylloxera
- Get off the beaten track and head up into the little-visited Nebrodi Mountains, to the north west of Taormina
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
Children are made very welcome, and will enjoy the pool (open 10am to 6pm) and garden, although the atmosphere here is generally tranquil. Most rooms can accommodate a baby cot.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
In the hotel, Deluxe Rooms and Garden Suites have space for an extra bed, Junior Suites have 1 single sofabed and Mini Suite Deluxes have up to 2 single sofabeds.
The Apartments are all ideal for families, each with well-equipped kitchen/ettes, sofabeds and space for a baby cot. Apartment 2 is specially designated for families, with 2 bedrooms.
Available by arrangement
- Baby cots
- High chair
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Children's meals are available on request - ours requested carbonara and loved it!
Kids Activities on site:
- Toys provided during summer holidays
- Colouring pencils & drawing books
Kids Activities nearby:
- Playground and public garden 3-minute walk away
- Sandy beaches with private lidos (shuttle service provided)
- Ruins of amphitheatre to explore
Families Should Know:
Some steepish drops and terracing in the garden, not ideal for toddlers
- Airport: 50 minutes
- Doctor: 7 minutes
- Shop: 2 minutes
For more family-friendly places, see our Kids Collection
Villa Carlotta is on the edge of Taormina, overlooking the Ionian Sea and Mt Etna, in northeast Sicily. It's a 50-minute drive from the airport in Catania.
Catania Fontanarossa (50km away) is the nearest airport. If you're touring the whole of Sicily you might fly into Comiso (147mk away) or Palermo (200km away).
From the Airport
It's an easy drive along the A18 motorway from the airport to the hotel. If you're planning to stay in Taormina then you won't need a car, and the hotel can arrange a taxi transfer. There's also an airport bus, and a train to Taormina-Giardini Naxos.
If you want to explore the wider area then it makes sense to have a car, though you won't use it much in Taormina itself (the centre is pedestrianised), see our car rental recommendations. The hotel has private valet parking (extra cost).
If you're driving from southern mainland Italy, take the regular ferry from Villa San Giovanni to Messina (every 20 minutes, with a 20-minute sailing time) and then follow the A18 motorway south to Taormina.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Catania Fontanarossa 50.0 km CTA
- Comiso 147.0 km CIY
- Beach 0.2 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km