Il Baglio sull’Acqua is perfectly placed for such frolicking. Spectacular beaches are within easy reach and the bustling port town is even closer. Sister to nearby Casalmare, this peaceful 19th-century retreat delivers on design. Each of its 10 rooms has been styled with Sicilian flair. Think soothing neutral tones, wood-beamed ceilings and checkerboard floors. Watch the sea or surrounding olive groves from your window or private terrace. Outside, an impressive pool glimmers from the lush green gardens.
The chef serves up traditional Sicilian greats on the candlelit terrace. Or sip a chilled Campari in the tranquil Arabian-styled courtyard. There’s still time to discover Favignana before word gets out. Just keep it under your (sun) hat.
- Unpretentious, smartly designed rooms with some Moroccan flare
- Utterly dreamy pool in a magical garden setting
- Top-notch location, with sea views and easy access to the island’s best bits
- The food served in the restaurant is reportedly delicious
- We hear the senior management is super-friendly and helpful
- Word is the restaurant service can be a little slow
- It’s not the easiest place to reach, but the 30-minute ferry crossings to the island are frequent
- Reception closes at night so don’t expect round-the-clock service
- It doesn’t come cheap, but places like this rarely do
- 7 night minimum stay in August preferred; shorter stays can be arranged depending on availability
Best time to go
Note that the hotel has a short season, typically mid-May to mid-October.
Our top tips
- Boutique Guesthouse
- 10 rooms
- Restaurant and bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Closed: 30 Nov 2023 - 19 May 2024
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car not necessary
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
- Laundry service
Each of the 10 rooms is smartly designed with a Sicilian edge. Think checkerboard tiled floors and four-poster beds against a calming neutral backdrop. Characterful wood-beamed ceilings and shuttered windows add some 19th-century charm.
There are four variations in room size, all with a view, be it of the sea, the olive groves or the fabulous gardens. At the top end, we love Suite No.4 with its private terrace and sunken outdoor tub, circled by panoramic vistas. If bubbles are more your thing, two suites come with jacuzzis. Those travelling in small groups can request extra beds or a cot. Note that none of the kingsize beds can be configured as twins.
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
Breakfast is in the form of a buffet, served on the terrace of Aziza restaurant; help yourself to cheese, salami and ham, eggs, home make cakes, biscuits, jam and fruit.
At lunch, choose from simple Italian greats such as stuffed focaccias and fresh salads; there's a special of the day plus a daily changing dessert too. Or opt for the sushi menu in the Maguro bar, which is also open in the evenings. Note that all ingredients get sourced locally. With the ocean on your doorstep, you can bet the seafood hits the mark.
At dinner in Aziza, expect more Sicilian fare - perhaps spaghetti with sea anemones or octopus in marsala sauce. Dine under the stars on the twinkling, candlelit terrace. Or sip an aperitif in the beautiful Arabian-esque courtyard. Set meals consist of a starter + first course (eg pasta) or second course and dessert (perhaps tiramisu or chocolate mousse or lemon tart. Note that you need to book a minimum of three dinners (if you are staying just 2 nights, then 2 dinners).
Beyond the hotel, plenty of highly-rated restaurants and cafes are within easy reach in Favignana and surrounds. Don’t leave without experiencing a cup (yes a cup!) of fried fish at the notorious Pescheria Florio in the main town. It’s here where fishermen sell their fresh catch.
- Coffee / tea making
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Restaurants nearby
- Vegetarian options
- While away the day by the picturesque pool, set in a lush green lawn, Aperol in hand. Happy days
- Favignana is small enough to explore by bike, e-bike or scooter. Rent all of the above via the hotel (who have a deal with a local hire place)
- The beaches here are Caribbean-level good (many are rocky rather than sandy). The water is turquoise and crystal clear. Try Calamoni Beach (2.5 km/9 min cycle). Or pedal along to Cala Rossa (2.2km/7 min cycle) and marvel at its impressive rock formations
- Take a boat trip and swim the hidden coves. You might even spot a passing dolphin or turtle. The hotel organises daily excursions
- You’re close to the main town (1.7km/5 min cycle). Go for the curious boutiques and out-of-this-world gelato
- History-appreciators should head to the 19th-century ex-tuna fishery (7 min cycle). Explore boat sheds housing vintage vessels and towering red brick chimneys
Kids of all ages are welcome here. That said, there aren’t any facilities or activities designed for children. And the peaceful setting is probably better suited to babies or over 12s.
Babies (0-1 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Parents travelling with a tot can request a cot which can be placed into most rooms. The Superior 1st Floor, Junior Suite 1st Floor and Suite with Mezzanine come with bathtubs, the latter has a built in sofa bed. The suites are the best option for families of 3, note that families of 4 need to take two adjacent rooms. Parents of little ones take note: some come with un-gated stairs. There are options without, just ask at the time of booking.
- Airport: 90 mins (Trapani)
- Shops: 5 mins
Il Baglio sull’Acqua is on Favignana, one of three Egadi Islands off Sicily’s west coast.
Fly into Trapani Birgi on Sicily. Then it’s a 25-minute drive to the port. Catch the ferry (45 mins) or hydrofoil (20 mins) to Favignana. The hotel is a 15-minute walk away or a 5-minute drive. Private transfers can be arranged.
Alternatively, fly into Palermo, a 1.5-hour drive from the port.
Rent a bike, e-bike or scooter from the hotel. If you need a car, rentals are available from the airport. Or dodge the ferry fee and hire a car directly from the hotel.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Trapani 25.0 km TPS
- Palermo 80.0 km PMO
- Beach 0.8 km
- Shops 2.0 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km