“Intimate B&B and family apartments bang in the heart of Florence, run by a friendly Italian couple”
Expect spacious and cleverly designed bedrooms and apartments, gleaming bathrooms with power showers, varnished floors, canopied beds, perhaps even a fresco on the ceiling. Best of all, some rooms have tall windows overlooking the buzzing piazza della Signoria, which is as good a location as you could hope for. No wonder it’s a favourite with the Florentine cognoscenti.
- Unbeatable location just off Florence’s most central square
- You’ll feel at home within seconds of arrival
- Rooms and suites have use of a shared kitchen, while the apartments get their own kitchenettes
- Clever layouts, meticulous cleanliness and super bathrooms
- Unsigned entrance with personal swipe-key to make you feel extra privileged
- It hasn’t got all the facilities of a hotel - but the service is second to none
- Compared to ordinary B&Bs, it’s expensive
- Some guests may not enjoy the breakfasts at one table
- It’s often full, so book well in advance
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique B&B
- 10 rooms, 3 apartments for 2-4
- Breakfast only (walk to restaurants)
- All ages welcome.
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Laundry Service
- Shared kitchen
- Daily cleaning (rooms only, not apartments)
Spread over 3 levels (second, third and fourth floors) are a dozen or so bedrooms and apartments, sleeping from 2 to 5. All of them feature simple, unpretentious good design and excellent bathrooms. Most have varnished floorboards (a few have carpets), tall windows with translucent day-drapes and blackout curtains, and an artistic touch here and there: a patch of restored fresco, a mosaic on the floor, some funky blue-glass panes.
They are pleasingly equipped, with air-con, good cupboard space, free WiFi and, in the deluxe rooms, a flatscreen TV artfully placed on a wooden easel - which we rather liked. The apartments also have CD / radio and kitchenette. Most bathrooms have shower cubicles or mosaic wetrooms, twin basins, heated towel rail and brushed steel fittings.
When booking you should specify if you want a room with a wonderful view of the piazza (these rooms are slightly larger and more elegant) or a rear-facing one (slightly quieter and cheaper). If one of the 2 high-ceilinged deluxe rooms is available, we really think it's worth the small supplement. You can try requesting particular rooms, but all the rooms have their own charm, so don’t worry too much. For the apartments, you can specify Giulio (best for a couple alone), Umberto (best for a couple with one or two children) or Matteo (best for a couple with one older child).
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Extra beds
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
The only meal that is served in the guesthouse is breakfast. It's a generous spread of charcuterie, cheeses, fruit, croissants / rolls, jam, tea, coffee and fresh juices (a zingy blood-orange juice when I stayed), plus eggs to order. You can have it in your bedroom, or in the main reception room, at a long polished table along with other guests - a lovely sociable start to the day.
For lunch and dinner there’s a growing choice of excellent restaurants in Florence, serving everything from authentic Tuscan fare (e.g. the legendary and highly sociable I Latini) through new-generation ‘cucina Toscana rivisitata’ (e.g. Garbo) to the new-in-2012 Gucci café, attached to the museum. But there are also some horrible tourist dives with Japanese menus, dry pizzas and limp chips – ask staff for the latest intelligence, or consult our city guide.
- Coffee / tea making
- Restaurants nearby
- Gawp at the tri-coloured marble façade of the Duomo and climb to the top (queues permitting) for a bird’s eye view of the city
- Spend at least half a day in the ultimate Renaissance picture collection, the Uffizi gallery; and you could spend the same amid the sculptures of the Bargello museum
- Culture vultures can choose from 6 more museums in the Palazzo Pitti, and any number of sculpture-filled piazzas - the best of which is on your doorstep!
- Via Tornabuoni is a fashionista's dream: Florence's shops are among the world's most gorgeous
- Amble over the Ponte Vecchio at sunset, admiring the silvery river Arno or the golden sparkle of jewellers’ shops
- Ride through the city in a horse-drawn carriage, stopping to choose an ice-cream from the hundreds of flavours
- Get some fresh air in the Boboli gardens or the Forte di Belvedere, on the oltr’arno (south bank)
- Get some peace in the wonderfully-decorated churches of Santa Croce and Orsanmichele near the guesthouse
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
The upstairs flats are perfect for families with one or two children of any age – though you should remember that sofa-beds are often rather short for fully-grown kids, while the loft in Umberto has very little headroom and steep stairs. Extra beds are available for a supplement.
Family friendly accommodation:
Extra Beds Available
Just off one of the city’s two main squares, near some of the finest shops.
There are some flights to Florence Peretola airport. However, most people fly to Pisa Galileo. Rome and Milan airports are about 3 hours from Florence.
From the Airport
Taxis will cost around €25. The journey is around 40 minutes depending on traffic. Or there’s a shuttle service.
Santa Maria Novella central station is a couple of streets away.
You won't need a car if this is just a city visit but if this is part of a wider tour of the regionsee our car rental recommendations. There is an underground carpark on Via Ghibellina, 5 mins walk away, which you can book through the guesthouse. Be warned that you are inside the pedestrian zone here.
Detailed directions will be sent when you confirm your booking.
More on getting to Italy and getting around
- Florence-Peretola 10.0 km FLR
- Pisa Galileo 0.0 km PSA
- Beach 70.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km