“Art-filled retreat in Lecce (Puglia's most splendid town), with tree-shaded gardens and beguiling links to 1930s Paris and Hollywood”
The hotel itself merges Parisian style with Puglian culture (the owner is from Paris but his roots are here), and has a pole position in Lecce, Puglia's most splendid town. The historic city walls skirt its shady, sculpture-dotted gardens, and so much space is a surprise this close to the centre. The converted, golden-stone 17th-century buildings have a quiet grandeur, and the minimalism and peace make it an ideal place for couples.
- Space and calm in Lecce's city centre, a short walk from the main sights
- Elegant interior design (from Paris) and careful attention to detail
- Lots of space in the 18 rooms, and many have a terrace or garden
- Charming, friendly service, which gives a personal feel
- Shady lawns, fragrant orange trees and a lovely pool
- Expensive, and rates don't include tax
- Our dinner was overcooked, but other guests have raved about the food and breakfast offers a good spread
- No spa, though treatments are available in your room
- It almost feels too grown up for kids, yet they are welcome and you'll feel at ease with them here
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant and bar open daily
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The rooms have almond-coloured smooth Trani stone on the floors, star-pinnacled stone ceilings, and walls of golden Leccese stone. The furnishings echo these pale tones, a symphony of muted colours, and the restrained palette is immediately relaxing.
There are various room categories, from Doubles up to Suites. All are lovely, though we haven't seen the newer Junior Suite Deluxe and Hermes Suites just yet. Our stand-out room was One-Bedroom Suite #8, with great garden views from its gleaming-white circular bath. Also recommended is the Hermes suite (another One-Bedroom Suite), so-named as the owner is a friend of the French fashion family, with star-vaulted ceilings and a terrace overlooking the gardens. Six of the rooms have shower and freestanding bathtub, while the rest have large walk-in showers. See rates for details on the various categories.
Some rooms are in the ‘Lazzari’ villa across the garden courtyard, offering even more privacy. #15, a Duplex Suite, has a gorgeous private garden lined in roses and small lemon trees.
- Air conditioning
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
The intimate restaurant has an extraordinarily high, wood-coffered ceiling. It’s elegant throughout, with sage-green table runners, small glass-topped tables, and silver cutlery from Paris. At one end are armchairs around a fireplace - a relaxing setting for a pre-dinner drink or post-prandial. Glass doors lead out to the courtyard where there are tables for warmer days.
Dinner is a complex a la carte menu. Our starter was prawn carpaccio with basil and citrus olive oil - deliciously light. Sadly, our main of seared tuna served on crispy potato with vegetables brunoise had been overcooked, but other guests have raved about the food.
A buffet breakfast includes cured meats, local cheeses, crostate (jam tart) and homemade jams. Cooked breakfasts are extra, but worth it - we loved our fried egg with chard and bacon. There are light lunches available, or restaurants abound in Lecce and staff can advise.
- Children's meals
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Wander around historic Lecce, with its Baroque churches, glorious cathedral and Roman ruins
- Day trip to the gleaming-white hilltop town of Ostuni, the graceful marble towns of Cisternino and Martina Franca, and Alberobello, with its extraordinary townscape of cone-shaped buildings
- There are lovely beaches along the Puglian coast, with white sand and powder-blue sea: Baia dei Turchi has a number of secluded coves
- The hotel can arrange guides for the region, as well as traditional dance lessons, countryside picnics or wine and olive-oil tastings
- Active types can go horse riding and cycling in Salento (the southern Puglian region)
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Dance lessons
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
Children are welcome, and there's plenty of space for them to roam around the gardens and play in the pool, though the ambiance is serene. Children aged 0-4 stay for free. The concierge can suggest local activities.
Family friendly accommodation:
Junior Suites can fit a baby cot. One-Bedroom Suites #7 and #8, and Duplex Suites #12 and #15 all have a sofabed that can sleep 2 children, or space for a baby cot.
- Baby cots
- Changing mat
- Baby bath
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The chef can accommodate requests for children's meals
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool
- Paddling pool
Kids Activities nearby:
- Beaches within 30 minutes, the nearest is San Cataldo, San Foca is considered the best
Families Should Know:
The Duplex Suite isn't recommended for families with small children because the bedroom is on the first floor
- Airport: 30 minutes
- Hospital: 10 minutes
- Shops: 1 minute
La Fiermontina is just inside Lecce's historic city walls, in Salento, southern Puglia - the heel of the Italian boot. It's half an hour from Brindisi airport, and 20 minutes from the coast. Lecce is a good base for exploring Puglia, with the towns of Ostuni, Alberobello, Otranto and Gallipoli all less than an hour away.
The nearest airport is Brindisi (48km), but you could also fly into Bari (163km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines which fly to these airports.
From the Airport
The hotel offers transfers, but hiring your own car will enable you to explore the region - see our car rental recommendations. The hotel has off-street parking.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Italy and getting around
- Brindisi 48.0 km BDS
- Bari 163.0 km BRI
- Beach 15.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km