“Contemporary chic meets rustic idyll: a hip, glamorous masseria conversion among orchards and olive groves.”
It’s a converted fortified farm, or masseria, peculiar to Puglia. Centred around a gleaming-white tower, the outhouses – once welcoming passing pilgrims and monks - have been converted into 28 understated, luxurious rooms. The tower houses a sleek, sexy Aveda spa, while the grounds roll out all around, lush and flower-filled. A lovely large heated pool, set amid fruit trees, is surrounded by decking and luxurious oversized loungers at various levels. The hotel’s serene, white-sanded, sun-shaded beach club - with restaurant and sushi bar - is about 4km away on the Adriatic sea and there’s a pea-green golf course too.
- Gorgeously understated design that’s one part country to one part cutting-edge
- Fabulous spa which uses the farm's own olive oil for its aromatic massage
- Sophisticated, largely organic restaurant with a splendid wine list
- Rooftop bar with floor cushions and white lanterns on summer evenings
- A 14-metre manned yacht is available for trips along the coast
- It's expensive - meals and the spa match London prices - but the experience is truly 5*
- The local beaches are not the Med's best, and they get crowded in August - but towel space is no problem at the hotel's beach club
Best time to go
- Boutique Hotel
- Children over 10 during August only.
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
In new-built, whitewashed tufa outhouses with cathedral-arched ceilings, rooms share a design ethic of bone whites and powder greys, and a feeling of light, tranquillity and space. The flagstone floors are broken by woven woollen mats, set against shabby-chic mirrored wardrobes and elegant extra-large beds. Arresting photos of the region, black bedspreads and off-white fabrics give the country style a sophisticated twist.
Beds luxuriate in 600-ply satin sheets, goosedown pillows and duvets. Pale-palette bathrooms boast tubs, organic toiletries and the hotel's own olive-oil soaps.
There are 5 classic rooms and 15 superior – the latter are a bit larger and have better views, but they all have small, fenced-in terraces.
The 5 Junior Deluxe Suites are even larger, with fireplaces, gardens, and terraces overlooking olive groves and the sea, while the 2 Palm Suites each have their own private pool and whirlpool tubs big enough for two.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Internet access
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Much of what you eat comes from the fields around you. It’s organic, local and fresh. There’s a focus on seasonal produce and local traditions, but it’s also sleekly sophisticated. Take, as a start, the frisellini you might be served as an aperitivo – friselli are a traditional Pugliese peasant dish of dried bread, often served topped by tomatoes and olive oil. Here they are turned into a bite-sized delicacy served alongside a choice of many martinis and long drinks. The cuisine is Mediterranean, mostly Italian and features many regional specialities – from orrechiette pasta to the freshest fish. There’s an impressive wine list.
Before dinner you could adjourn to the rooftop bar for pre-dinner drinks and fabulous views across the countryside as the sun sets. The white-arched restaurant is elegantly and simply decorated, with heavy white tablecloths and fresh flowers. Candle and lamp lit at night, it overlooks an ancient orange grove and the pool.
Breakfast is a sumptuous, help-yourself feast, including cold cuts, local cheeses – including divine mini burrata (mozzarella filled with cream) – pastries, homemade cakes, yoghurt, juice and choice of tea, coffee, cappuccino, etc.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Organic produce
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Laze, laze, laze: by the heated pool (open April-October), with its solarium areas and double-bed loungers during the day or lounging on cushions at the rooftop bar in summer evenings
- Or down at the beach club on the Adriatic coast - it has a lounge area, fish restaurant, bar services and snacks, massages, and volley ball
- Go sailing from the beach club on a 14m yacht to the caves of Polignano a Mare, or the ancient harbour of Monopoli
- Stables near the beach club offer riding along the beach
- The sporty among you can go jetskiing, windsurfing, go-kart racing, play tennis on floodlit courts, take quad bikes along the beach or through the olive groves, practice your aim on a clay-pigeon shooting range, or kick a ball around the 5-a-side artificial pitch - all are close by
- Disappear into, and float out of, the Aveda spa, which is found in the ancient Torre Maizza watchtower - take a Turkish bath, aromatic massage (using the farm's own olive oil) or rejuvenate in the whirlpool tub
- Play golf at the 9-hole course of sister hotel Torre Coccaro, a couple of tee-shots away; practice on their putting green and bunker area, or try one of the four 18-hole courses within an hour's drive, best of which is the San Domenico
- Explore trulli country - where the hills are dotted with squat cone-shaped buildings, scrub, olive and fruit trees - on foot, by bike or on horseback; the town of Alberobello is trulli central, and a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Wander through the narrow cobbled streets of beautiful white-stone town Ostuni, which gleams on a nearby hilltop
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Horse riding
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
- Wine tasting
Children are welcome. Under 3 year olds are free; over 3s are charged. NB in August only children over 10 are accepted.
The policy of only accepting over-10s in August indicates the vibe of this place – although they welcome children, families with kids would probably be better off in the more family-friendly Torre Coccaro next door.
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Babysitting available by arrangement
Baby cots available on request
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking