Each is architecturally striking. Close to the Adriatic coast, Martina Franca Trullo (sleeps 4-9) and Polignano Design Villa (sleeps 4-8) both sit within the pretty Itria Valley but are in no way alike in style. The former is a renovated trullo house with classic conical design and a sprawling layout; the latter is a modern masterpiece with all-glass walls and magazine-worthy interiors - just look at that hanging fireplace!
Both villas have their own private pools (the Polignano villa takes first prize in that regard) and outdoor areas for al fresco living, plus private caretakers to help with arranging activities, restaurant bookings, beach recommendations and just about anything else you desire. The villas couldn’t be better set up for a family or two travelling together, with bunk rooms, even an outdoor pizza oven. They’d also work well for groups and special occasions: arrange a private chef, or stock up on Primitivo, pizzette and pasticciotti, and watch the sunset from a secret roof terrace. That's dolce vita, Pugliese style.
- Architect-designed villas with unique layouts, original features and very contemporary styling
- Great for families – all villas have twin or bunk bedrooms
- Picture windows capture the rugged landscapes surrounding the villas, creating a sense of indoor-outdoor living
- All villas have private swimming pools and gardens, with plenty of space for relaxing
- A concierge service at your fingertips: Massimo and his caretakers are extremely knowledgeable and can arrange almost anything!
- The villas are in rural areas: you’ll need a car to reach shops and beaches
- Martina Franca Trullo has two kitchenettes but no full kitchen – keen cooks might appreciate a little more work space
- The sprawling layout of this Trullo means that some bedrooms are in separate buildings – not so great if bringing small children
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Villas
- 2 villas for 4-9
- Self-catering (chef on request)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
Polignano Design Villa
This super-slick, architect-designed villa for eight oozes style. Located near the Adriatic coast on a one-hectare estate between the pretty towns of Polignano (10 mins) and Monopoli (15 mins), it enjoys long views over a rugged landscape of olive groves and out to sea.
The space-age design incorporates walls of glass, picture windows, open-plan layouts and an indoor tropical garden (fancy!). All this combines to creates a sense of indoor-outdoor living and an overall feeling of calm.
The downstairs comprises a light-filled, open-plan living area with a hanging fireplace, vintage designer furniture, and an open kitchen. The large garden has a show-stopping 40m lap pool, a pizza oven and even a little trullo house on site.
Upstairs, you get two very smart double bedrooms, one kids’ room with two sets of bunk beds, a second living room, and a luxurious bathroom with sea views from the bathtub. Everything is carefully positioned to maximise on that spectacular view out of the windows.
Martina Franca Trullo
This is a modern take on a classic trullo house - a unique architectural feature of this region. The property occupies a peaceful spot in the enchanting Itria Valley, and is 10 minutes from the graceful and historic town of Martina Franca.
Incorporating the original trullo house and two newer outhouses, it sleeps up to nine guests. There are three bedrooms plus a bunkroom (and an extra living area with sofabeds), four bathrooms, two living rooms and two kitchens – one with a delightful picture window framing the rugged landscape of orchards and vineyards. Styling is contemporary, with decorative tilework and vintage furniture throughout. Note that the original trullo building has no air conditioning - the walls are so thick (one metre!) you don't need it.
The outdoor area features a private 8x4m swimming pool, shady gardens and lots of scattered terraces – including one on the roof - with loungers for soaking up the countryside views. Sandy beaches and excellent seafood restaurants are a short drive away.
- Head to the Adriatic coast for beach days and some of the best seafood in the country. Porto Rosso and Polignano beaches are both beautiful, but can get crowded in the height of summer.
- Or laze by your own private pool with a good book and none of the crowds
- Hire a boat to explore the caves of Polignano a Mare or the ancient harbour of Monopoli
- If you can't get enough of the trulli experience, explore the countryside - where the hills are dotted with the squat cone-shaped buildings, scrub, olive and fruit trees - on foot, by bike or on horseback; the town of Alberobello is trulli central, and a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Make use of the concierge service to arrange nearby activities, restaurant bookings, get beach recommendations and just about anything else you desire
These villas are fantastic for families. You get lots of private space, your own swimming pool, kitchens for self-catering, and bedroom layouts to suit various family sizes.
Martina Franca Trullo is better if you’re after more space, though be aware that you’ll need a car to reach the nearest town. Polignano Design Villa is very smart so perhaps not so great for small children – older ones will love the pool and outdoor space, though.
Both villas would work well for two families travelling together. Martina Franca Trullo has three-five bedrooms spread across three buildings so you have the option of added privacy; Polignano Design Villa has a room with two sets of bunk beds so is ideal for kids wanting to share.
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool
The villas are set just away from the coast of Puglia, in rural locations in the middle of the region, between Bari and Brindisi.
> See all villa locations on a Google map (new window)
The nearest airports are Bari (better for Polignano) Brindisi - Salento. Martina Franca is roughly equidistant from both (70-90km).
From the Airport
You'll almost certainly need a rental car. All villas have off-street parking.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Brindisi 100.0 km BDS
- Bari 100.0 km BRI
- Beach 5.0 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km