The houses are smartly designed in chic, home-from-home fashion and come equipped with everything a family could need. That’s because your (lovely and attentive) hosts, Becky and Phil, have designed the whole site with kids and their grown ups in mind. Think treatments in the spa room; frolics in the playground; delicious, authentic French meals delivered to your door; a ping pong tournament for the kids. Or laze by the pool while they try out the inflatables. This is a safe and oh-so-pretty place for young ones to be free to play, meaning more time for parents to relax. It’s a tricky balance to pull off, but, by all accounts, Languedoc Boutique Houses seem to have nailed it.
- Just 15 minutes from Carcassonne airport and a short drive to numerous pretty towns and attractions; this is a great location
- The heated sparkling pool is perfectly positioned for those breathtaking views (and gated for safety)
- Kids and parents alike are exceedingly well catered for here, with a playground, an endless list of complimentary baby/child equipment available, a cool underground games room, and a massage room
- We hear the food on offer is delicious
- We love the pleasing blend of self-catering houses with hotel style services
- Only open mid-May to mid-September so book early!
- If you’re after a peaceful, child-free holiday, look elsewhere (unless you’re booking all four houses)
- The pool is shared between all the houses, a perk for friendship-seeking kids
- They normally require weekly stays (Saturday-Saturday) – though longer stays may have some flexibility on days
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Houses
- 4 houses for 4-8
- Self-catering (+ dinner on request)
- All ages welcome
- Closed: mid-Sept to mid-May
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
- Massages available
Four smart, individually styled, two-storey houses in varying sizes await you – arranged in pairs neatly away from the pool area, surrounded by the garden.
Sleeping quarters in all are on the top floor, with open-plan living and dining spaces below. Two-bedroomed Olive is the smallest of the bunch (sleeps four in a double and a twin), whereas three-bed Fig sleeps five in a double, a twin and a single. Three-bed Lemon can sleep six in a double, a twin and a bunk room, while the largest, Cypress, sleeps up to eight in four bedrooms (two doubles, a twin and a bunk room).
Fig and Lemon can interconnect for groups of up to 11 – handy for 2-3 families travelling together – as the divider between the two terraces can easily be removed; these two are closest to the pool. Or for those feeling sociable, book all four for an epic multi-family gathering (max 23).
Whichever house you opt for, expect cool white-washed walls, smooth wood floors and trendy vintage furniture. The master bedrooms in each come with ensuite shower bathrooms and Juliet balconies from which to best admire the countryside. Every house has a second family-style bathroom with a bath – in Cypress you get a sunken tub. A serene, private outdoor terrace with BBQ and far-reaching pastoral views come as standard.
- In room treatments available
- Washing machine
The open and roomy kitchens in each house are perfectly equipped for knocking up a family feast. There’s also a gas BBQ on your private terrace. Or make use of the communal pizza oven. When you arrive, you’ll be greeted with a generous collection of essentials (bin bags, washing up stuff, salt & pepper, sugar, coffee, and tea) plus a welcome pack of milk, bread, cheese, ham to keep you going until you make it to the local Carrefour supermarket (15 mins).
For a night off from cooking, the onsite meal delivery service offering authentic French fare (including vegetarian options) for all ages gets rave reviews. We hear good things about the homemade cassoulet maison, the dish of the region, plus the poulet Basquaise (Basque-style one-pot chicken) and the poulet romarin (rosemary chicken). If you take the whole estate you can arrange for a chef to cook for.
There’s a strong dining scene in these parts, although you’ll need a car to get anywhere. The hosts helpfully provide a handy guide to all the best eats nearby.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Kids' meals
- Meal delivery service
- Venture into Carcassonne (15 mins) and explore La Cité, its impressive 12th-century medieval castle, before cafe-hopping your way around the mazy walled city
- Book worms must head to Montolieu (25 mins), A.K.A “Village Of Books”. There are over 15 second-hand bookshops to peruse, alongside numerous galleries and curious boutiques
- Mirepoix (30 mins) is worth a visit on a Monday for its market, especially popular with cheese appreciators
- Adventurers flock to the Black Mountains (La Montagne Noire). Discover clear blue, sand-fringed lakes and shaded hiking and cycling trails
- Lac Cavayere (20 minutes) is good for beach-lovers
- Get a closer look at the Pyrenees (60 mins). Take the much-praised underground cruise on the Labouiche river and marvel at the stalagmites
- The ruined Cathar Castles bring medieval history to life; check out Montsegur and Peyrepertuse
- There's an on-site treatment room for beauty and massage treatments (facials, nails, leg wax, massages); pre-booking required
- Bike hire can be arranged for the whole family to explore the local countryside
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
It’s clear Languedoc Boutique Houses were designed with kids (and their grown ups) in mind. All ages are very welcome here and there's no shortage of fun for little ones, all within a clear view of the houses, so adults can keep an eye on their offspring without leaving their sun loungers. Beyond the gates, there’s kayaking, horse riding, museums, animal parks, wild swimming – all within a 30-minute drive. This is seemingly THE place to come for a proper break for a family.
Family friendly accommodation:
There are 4 houses in total (each as child-friendly as the next): choose from a 2-, 3- or 4-bed, or book all four for an epic multi-family gathering (max 23). Fig and Lemon can interconnect to house a group of up to 11. Each house is set over two storeys (stair gates optional), has a twin bedroom and can have a baby cot added; the two largest have additional bunk bedrooms too. Bathrooms have showers and bathtubs.
- Baby cot
- High chair
- Stair gates
- Pushchair to borrow
- Baby bedding
- Night light
- Baby bath
- Plastic plates and cutlery
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The onsite delivery service (of organic French fare) has a kids menu, available if you book dinner.
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool (12x6m) with multiple inflatables on offer
- Playground with swings, slides, log cabin and big trampoline
- Cool games room for table football and ping pong
- Kids DVDs
- Kids books / toys
Kids Activities nearby:
- Lake with giant inflatables and beach (30 minutes)
- Lake for kayaking, waterskiing and wake-boarding (15 minutes)
- Horse riding
- Animal park
- Dinosaur museum (40 minutes)
- Space Centre in Toulouse (1 hour)
- Soft play centre (30 minutes)
Families Should Know:
The pool is fenced with a child-proof gate
- Airport: 20 minutes
- Hospital: 20 minutes
- Shops: 7 minutes
Languedoc Boutique Houses are to the west of Carcassonne in the south of France, in the wine region of Malepere.
Fly to Carcassonne (15 mins) or Toulouse (60 mins). Or Montpellier is a little further (90 mins).
From the Airport:
Take a taxi from the airport, or, if possible, we’d recommend hiring a car for maximum exploring potential. Check out our car rental recommendations.
Carcassonne is served by TGV trains as well as direct trains from London St Pancras (journey time: 9-10 hours).
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.com
- Carcassonne Airport 17.4 km CCF
- Toulouse-Blagnac Airport 92.3 km TLS
- Beach 99.0 km
- Shops 3.8 km
- Restaurant 3.8 km