“Dreamily serene, upmarket B&B with a personal touch, mountainous Provençal panoramas and a wonderful location near charming villages”
Best of all, the location is fantastic, a short hop from Le Bar-sur-Loup and other local villages, as well as the Gorges du Loup, a dramatic gorge that’s great for riverside walks and swimming in crystalline pools. A little further are Grasse, famous for perfume, St Paul du Vence, the lovely walled hilltop town so beloved of Matisse, and countless other pretty Provençal villages with Mediterranean markets. You’re also near the coast, a short drive from Cannes or Nice.
- Extraordinarily peaceful, yet easy to reach (half an hour from Nice airport)
- Gorgeously understated design that lets the views sing
- Great value and just 4 romantic rooms, with sumptuously comfortable beds and pillows
- A warm welcome and friendly, sociable feel
- Lovely breakfasts on the terrace and a clutch of great restaurants in the local village (0.5km away)
- You'll need a car to get here and explore
- Payment is by Bank Transfer in advance of stay
- A 3-night minimum stay
- If you’re looking for full hotel service, this isn't for you
- No kids under 12
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique B&B
- Breakfast only; restaurants nearby
- Over 12s only
- Closed: 22 Mar 2018 - 15 Apr 2018
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The 4 rooms practically purr with relaxed elegance, in soft mink, palest greens, blues and powder greys. They're all named after iconic French women. Beds are some of the most comfortable we've graced, the pillows memorably soft. Floor are lovely, too - mellow local stone.
We stayed in the first-floor Marguerite Duras Suite, which has valley views out of a small window in the soothing little sitting room, plus a large bathroom with free-standing bath.
Downstairs, the large Simone de Beauvoir room has stunning valley views through its window; its the only room with a bathtub and overhead shower. Slightly smaller, on the first floor, the Coco Chanel room also has wonderful views from the queensize bed.
Camille Claudel is the smallest and only twin room, but we loved its style, with a wall of vintage mirrors and a free-standing copper sink atop a wooden desk. The shower bathroom is set behind an industrial window, with a gorgeous mosaic floor. Be aware it has no views and an external toilet; the price reflects this.
- Communal tea- and coffee-making facilities
- Mosquito net
- Satellite TV
Breakfast is laid out on a table on the terrace or in the large sitting and dining room if it's chilly. Both have beautiful views, and it's a gorgeous feast, with muesli and fresh fruit and yoghurt, local cured meats and cheeses, coffee or tea, orange juice, and eggs and bacon on request.
Judith is very knowledgable about local restaurants and can make reservations. There are 3 or 4 good places in the village, or you can drive to many others. If you'd prefer to stay in, there's a kitchen where you can prepare your own food - you can buy a sumptuous spread at local markets and gastronomic shops. Judith sometimes throws dinner get-togethers by the pool, with French wines, cheeses and salads - it's all very relaxed and friendly.
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Petanque on the terrace, lazing by the pool and playing with the adorable border collies
- Pamper yourself: Judith can organise everything from aromatherapy massages to Mayan treatments, Sophrology and Kundalini-Meditation yoga, along with guided mountain walks and Indian dance
- The stunning Gorges du Loup has natural pools and waterfalls for wild swimming, its waterside paths wandering through tangled greenery. Whitewater rafting and canyoning are also on offer (10-minute drive)
- There are countless pretty villages within reach, including Matisse's favourite, St Paul de Vence, a walled medieval town that's filled with art and galleries. Others include Valbonne, Gourdon, the perfume centre of Grasse, and Tourettes du Loup
- The closest beach is only 25 minutes away; beaches around Nice and Cannes are just over half an hour
- Judith can arrange a private yoga class
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets