A family friendly, eco-chic surf hotel on the sands of Portugal's Silver Coast, just 40 minutes from Lisbon”
Acutely Instagrammable, Noah Surf House, with its upcycled décor and ultra-chilled vintage vibe, is one of the most beloved beach hideaways on Portugal’s beautiful Silver Coast. Sister property to the stunning Areias do Seixo, it started life as a funky restaurant and surf school; in July 2018, the opening of 21 rooms and bungalows turned it into an uber-cool hotel. Families are especially welcome, and older kids will love the wealth of facilities and activities.
This is a great place to unplug and catch the waves on fabulous Física beach. Later, if a day by the sea still hasn’t fulfilled your aquatic needs, a dip in the infinity pool or Jacuzzi will fix that. Evenings are spent singing with local musicians around a firepit on the rooftop (or inside the restaurant in colder months). Afterwards, you can drag your tired but sun-kissed-and-windswept body back to your room and fall asleep to the sound of lapping waves. Plans for the next day? Wash, rinse and repeat.
- Stunning beachfront location with boho interiors and a happy vibe
- Sensational food that fuses local and international dishes, plus long communal wooden tables and an easygoing ambience
- Big on sustainability: solar panels, recycled water and upcycling, plus an organic garden and lots of happy chickens
- Incredibly warm, helpful staff and a genuine community feel
- An eclectic mixture of guests: 3-gen families, solo surfer dudes, hipster couples, mindfulness seekers, and even retired adventurers
- Some might miss air con or a bathtub, but it’s in line with Noah’s impressive sustainability concepts, so worth the sacrifice
- No spa or sauna, but sister hotel Areias do Seixo has a fantastic range of spa treatments; 5 mins' drive
- Very few vegetarian and vegan options on the menu
- Leaving! (I’m still not over it)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 21 rooms
- Restaurant & bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Closed: 23-25 Dec and 6 Jan-4 Feb
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
- Skate park
- Paddle boarding
The 8 rooms and 13 bungalows are spacious and comfy, with twin or queensize beds, and huge, floor-to-ceiling windows. With a funky industrial-eco feel, expect earthy shades, reclaimed wood and upcycled furniture. Most have stunning sea views and fireplaces, as well as private terraces with seating and surfboard racks.
Bathrooms are super-stylish and well-designed concrete affairs, with double rainbow showers, wooden shower floors, large sinks, fluffy towels and Damana bath and body products. Being eco-conscious, they don't supply plastic or glass bottles of water in the rooms. Instead, you'll be given an eco-bottle upon arrival, which you can refill with filtered water in the lobby whenever you please.
Terra Rooms are the biggest, measuring a whopping 75 sq.m, with a living area, a mezzanine floor with extra beds, and a terrace with sunrise views. We loved our Mar Room, the next biggest, with the addition of a fireplace and sea views. However, the bungalows are definitely the way to go here. They have a brighter, breezier feel and more privacy in general. If you want to self cater, book a Mar & Cook Bungalow, with a fully equipped kitchen; otherwise, the Mar Bungalows are perfect.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Safe box
A delicious and artistically presented breakfast is served in the huge, quirky restaurant-bar-lobby-lounge with hypnotic sea views. Alongside the usual suspects, there’s homemade granola and jams, freshly baked cakes, eggs courtesy of the happy resident chickens, and fabulous tea concoctions - we particularly loved the lemongrass-based cuppa.
The insanely cool Noah’s Restaurant & Beach House is across the road; a beach shack, with breathtaking views across Praia da Física. Expect a fusion of local and international dishes, with long, communal wooden tables and a boho vibe. We loved our swordfish and giant prawns, washed down with a crisp white wine. For dinner, we opted for great Portuguese fare: fried cuttlefish and pica-pau (beef stew with pickles in a light beer sauce), followed by a super yummy lime pie.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Restaurants nearby
- This coast is 'surf central' with a brilliant beach on your doorstep - and some seriously good waves nearby, including Ericeira, Peniche and Nazaré . You can rent equipment and book surf lessons at the hotel
- Sports, sports and more sports! There’s paddleboarding, a skate park, guided trekking along the cliffs, personal training at the gym, a yoga studio, bike rentals - and the area is fantastic for runners, too
- After all that beach fun, head over to Noah’s nearby sister hotel, Areias do Seixo, for a relaxing massage
- Explore the Silver Coast, which is dotted with quaint little fishing towns
- Take a day trip to the picturesque, fortified town of Óbidos, with its medieval castle, whitewashed houses and cobbled alleys
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Mountain biking
- Paddle boarding
- Well being
For active children aged 8 and above, this is paradise: there’s a surf school, a skate park, kiddie yoga, bike and paddleboard rentals, fantastic beaches, a heated pool, a Jacuzzi... and songs around the evening firepit.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Terra Rooms can fit up to 8 guests in extra beds and have a small terrace garden but no fireplace (communal kitchen); Mar Bungalows can fit 1 baby cot/extra bed and have a living area with fireplace and a balcony (communal kitchen); Mar Rooms can fit 2 baby cots/extra beds and have a living room with fireplace and a balcony (communal kitchen); Mar & Cook Bungalows can fit 2 baby cots/extra beds and have a living room with fireplace and balcony and a full kitchen
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Children’s menu in the restaurant
Kids Activities on site:
- Heated pool
- Surf school
- Skate park
- Kids yoga
- Bicycle rental
Kids Activities nearby:
Families Should Know:
The hotel pool and Jacuzzi are unsupervised. There are steep staircases in the public area and Mar Rooms
- Airport: 40 mins' drive (Lisbon)
- Shop: 2 mins' walk (and 5 mins' walk to nearby restaurants)
- Medical facility: 20 mins by car (17km) to Torres Vedras
Noah Surf House is located in the village of Santa Cruz on Portugal's Silver Coast, about 40 minutes northwest from Lisbon by car. They can book transfers for guests.
Fly to Lisbon's Portela Airport (63km away). From there, you can take a transfer or hire a car.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Lisbon Airport 63.0 km LIS
- Beach 0.1 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km