“Funky island retreat on a hill above Mykonos Town, with minimal white interiors and super-friendly staff”
But it's the supremely cool interiors that really take your breath away: rustic and retro design details adorn a backdrop so brilliantly white that you’ll be wearing your Armani shades inside. And it could not be more romantic: twinkling views, heated outdoor Jacuzzis in some suites, even a pair of immaculate chapels on hand in case you pop the question.
Information provided by Ostraco on 16/11/2020.
If official government travel restrictions are applied on your stay dates, Ostraco Suites will fully refund all payments received.
- The rooms’ pared-down aesthetic is the last word in Greek island chic
- With 22 rooms and suites, the mood is intimate and sociable (it is still family-owned)
- Manager Stella and her excellent team provide faultless, friendly service
- You can take a day-trip to ancient Delos, shop (or bop) till you drop in Chora’s designer boutiques and clubs, hang out among the perfect bodies of Paradise beach, or jump on a bus or fishing boat to a quieter cove
- Some road noise in the rooms nearest the street
- It’s a steep 10-minute walk (or short taxi ride) into town
- Some outdoor areas feel overlooked
- Mykonos is the most expensive island in Greece, and Ostraco’s rates reflect this
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Breakfast only (walk to restaurants)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Ground chess
The 22 rooms and suites are set in tiered, 2-storey blocks of classic Cycladic style (flat roofs, white walls, paved patios) among 6,000 sq.m. of fragrant, landscaped grounds. You get sleek floors, comfy beds, stylish shower rooms or even outdoor baths, and Jacuzzi-views over the bustling town of Chora and out to sea.
Superior Sea Views obviously have a good vista across the sea; all Sea View Suites with Outdoor Jacuzzi get a separate sitting area and a large terrace (with a Jacuzzi, of course); the Superior Sea View Suite with Outdoor Jacuzzi, as you may expect, boast a tiny outdoor plunge pool with Jacuzzi jets for a lingering soak. At the top of the price range is the Honeymoon Suite with a private pool overlooking the ocean. The bright living area and large terrace in the Deluxe 2-Bedroom Suite with Jacuzzi makes it ideal for groups of friends.
Bathrooms are kitted out with trendy square or shell-shaped washbasins, curtained showers and shiny chrome gel dispensers. One has an arched, portholed wetroom, so you feel as if you’re hosing down inside the apse of a Cycladic chapel.
Budget permitting, it’s worth paying extra for the higher-spec suites, as some Classics and Deluxes suffer from noise from the nearby road, while others are let down by small and occasionally damp shower rooms.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Pool towels
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Days start late in Mykonos, as the island recovers from long nights of drinking, dancing and dining. Thankfully breakfast is served by the pool until 11am, so you can come gently back to life with a strong coffee and a light fruit salad or a heartier brunch of freshly cooked omelettes, traditional dakos or even homemade spanakopita. Vegans and vegetarians are well looked after here.
For lunch, you can order a light snack from the poolside bar or something more substantial from the delicious all-day organic menu, but chances are you’ll be on one of the island’s many beaches: Paradise and Super Paradise are lined with music-pumping tavernas, while quieter Ayios Sostis offers excellent home cooking (and reassuringly slow service) chez Kiki, on a hill above the beach.
Soak up the sunset with a cocktail from the poolside bar before heading into town for dinner - a steep 10-minute walk, or a short cab ride if you manage to order one - for anything from traditional Greek to authentic Nobu sushi. The beautiful people head for Sea Satin on the quayfront beneath the island’s trademark windmills, with its candlelit tables, chattering cellphones and 100-euro lobsters. Follow in Matt Damon’s footsteps - the closing scenes of The Bourne Identity were filmed here. For a simpler but still stylish soirée, head for the tree-shaded court of Mamacas. For cheaper eats, Philippi and Chez Maria come recommended, as does the centrally-placed Antonini’s.
The super-helpful hotel team will give you the latest lowdown on where to eat, and book tables for you if required.
- Light snacks
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
Mykonos Town (Chora), with its pretty fishing harbour, its swinging clubs and pubs, its trademark windmills, its ‘little Venice’ waterfront, and its clothes, jewellery and designer boutiques, is a steep 10-minute walk away (or 15 on the way home). You can try to order a taxi, but it’s often tricky getting one to collect you from the hotel; much easier for the return leg, so long as you know where the ranks are. There’s also a bus stop just opposite the hotel, which is very handy, especially for day-trips to beaches without having to go via town.
- The island’s most famous beaches are Paradise (hedonistic and crowded) and Super Paradise (flirtatious and very gay); for a quieter swim head north to Ayios Sostis, walk to Ornos or go further afield to Elia, which is now divided into gay and straight sections to avoid any embarrassing misunderstandings
- You can hire a fishing boat - Ostraco's team will fix it - to chug you to a remoter beach or the islet of Tragonisi
- If you enjoy watersports you’ll find windsurfers, jetskis and waterskiing at most beaches, while scuba-diving is also allowed (unlike most Greek islands)
- Don’t miss the wonderful open-air museum that is Delos, an ancient holy island just off Mykonos which is chock-a-block with ruined temples, sanctuaries, stoas, treasuries - and day-trippers (catch the shuttle boat from Chora’s harbour)
- With a scooter and nerves of steel, you can explore the bumpy tracks that criss-cross the scrubby, wind-buffeted interior; Ano Mera and its icon-laden monastery of Tourliani are a good place to aim for
- Back at the ranch, you can sunbathe by the pool, chill out on shaded daybeds, book a massage or aromatherapy treatment, play ground chess or (for groups) arrange a special event like a beach party, BBQ or even a wedding in their private chapel
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
Children are welcome, children up to 12 and baby cots are free of charge, but it’s not exactly a kid-friendly island - you’ll want a babysitter for the evenings (additional charge).
Family friendly accommodation:
The Deluxe 2-Bedroom Suite with Jacuzzi is the best option for families as there's a second twin bedroom, and it can fit an additional baby cot or extra bed. The Sea View Suites have 2 single sofa beds and can fit a baby cot, while the Superior Jacuzzi Suites have space for an additional 2 extras beds or 1 baby cot. The Classic and Deluxe rooms can fit an extra bed or baby cot.
Baby cots available on request.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Ostraco is on Mykonos, one of the Cyclades islands southeast of Athens. It's just outside the island's main town, Mykonos (Hora), in the area known as Drafaki.
Fly into Mykonos (2km) or Athens (184km). There are also domestic flights from Crete to Mykonos. Click on the links below for a list of airlines.
If you are island-hopping, ferries run from Piraeus (1-2 daily, 3-5 hours) or Rafina (2-4 daily, 2-4 hours), and your closest neighbours are Syros and Tinos.
From the Port/Airport
From Mykonos port it is a 5-minute taxi ride. From the airport it is a 15-minute taxi ride. Alternatively the hotel can arrange a transfer - see Rates.
If you want to hire a car to explore the island then see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you confirm your booking though i-escape.com.
More on getting to Greece and getting around
- Mykonos 2.0 km JMK
- Athens 184.0 km ATH
- Beach 1.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km