“Seven fabulous apartments for 2-4 in a historic clifftop house with vast ocean views and a shared pool; 40 minutes from Lisbon”
We can't wait to visit this light-flooded, architect-designed house, built in the 1940s and recently reconfigured. Owner and discreet host Christian offers guests 7 apartments, small spa with Finnish sauna and a garden with a tennis court and pool. It's perfect for sociable families but there's plenty of privacy for couples, too. The sunsets are spectacular, the beds super comfy, and beautiful features remain (decorative wall tiles, exposed stone walls). Bathrobes, organic shower gels and a bottle of local red add to the magic, and if you're tempted by a winter stay, there are roaring hearths in Ocean View and South Wing. What better after a hike from Cabo de Roca to the soft sands below?
Information provided by Outpost - Casa das Arribas on 27/07/2020.
Cleaning and hygiene
Enhanced cleaning and hygiene measures as recommended by the Portuguese Tourist Board.
- The breathtaking, ocean-facing location
- A nearby path winds down to a small surf beach
- Excellent kitchens and a shared barbecue station, but if you don't feel like cooking, meals can be can be ordered, and there's an excellent local restaurant
- The proximity to Lisbon, its airport, and magical Sintra
- Fresh, modern decor and fantastic prices
- Full pre-payment upon reservation and rates don't include a final clean, which will be added to your bill
- Be aware the gardens, pool and tennis court are shared and the pool is ungated
- The local village is down the hill. Great on the way down, but you'll have to climb back up!
- Possible soundproofing issues between South Wing and Piso Alto
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Apartments
- 7 apartments for 2-4
- Self catering + meals on request
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Concierge Service
- Tennis Court
- Laundry Service
- Barbecue station
Expect the best quality throughout your apartment, from handmade wooden furniture to natural mattresses to organic soaps and shampoos. Ocean Saloon is the largest, sleeping 4 in 2 bedrooms (1 emperor, 1 kingsize/twin), with 2 very elegant original fireplaces. Glass doors open to a wraparound ocean-view terrace that's shaded on the southern side.
South Wing opens onto the pool terrace and sleeps 2-4 (one kingsize bedroom; one sofabed). We love its original terracotta floors, wood-beamed ceiling and corner fireplace to keep things cosy in winter.
Breakfast in the sun on East Duplex's terrace or nod off in the hammock of this super-cool bolthole for 2-4, with exposed rock walls and an open staircase to the kingsize bedroom.
Light-flooded Piso Alto is an enormous first-floor apartment with views on 3 sides - from the cliffs of Cabo da Roca to the Berlengas Islands. There are 2 kingsize/twin bedrooms. North Casita is a cosy apartment for 2-3 with a terrace facing the ocean, where you can swing in your private hammock.
The detached Pool House drinks up more ocean views, sleeping 2-4. We can't wait to have a soak in the free-standing bathtub: it was handmade using 100-year-old mahogany wine barrels found in a local winery.
Finally, the former oven house in the garden is now a modern open-plan light-filled studio. The Garden Cabana is small but perfectly formed, sleeping 2-3, and comes with a private sea view terrace plus hammock.
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
- Shared laundry facilities
In common with all the interiors at Casa das Arribas, the kitchens have character and style, and are very well equipped (note that the Garden Cabana's kitchen is more of a kitchenette). Basic foodstuffs include sea salt and organic olive oil. The barbecue station in the garden has two large grills, running water, a worktop and a long wooden table for al fresco meals.
Lunch, dinner and breakfast baskets are available on request: fresh bread, fruit juices, and traditional Portuguese meals (octopus, beef and pork stew, baked cod fish). Christian can also arrange for a private chef to do you a fresh fish BBQ.
Stock up on groceries in Azenhas do Mar, a 10-minute walk downhill. The village has one small supermarket and a clutch of eateries, including a cliffside restaurant with a spectacular view. Enjoy fish fresh from the ocean: octopus, sea bass, clams, giant lobsters, scarlet prawns and barnacles, a speciality of the region. There are steaks too, and very good wines from Colares, 5 miles inland. Colares is also home to a farmers' market every weekend.
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Dinner by arrangement
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Lunch by arrangement
- Meal delivery service
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Basic ingredients
- Hone your tennis or basketball skills on the court; dive into the pool; recover with a spot of yoga. There are mats and racquets to borrow. The small spa has a Finnish sauna with large windows to the ocean, and both hot and ice tubs
- Wander down the hill to the beach. There are surf-pounded beaches at Praia da Ursa (15km), Guincho (22km) and Ericeira (60km), and there's exciting hiking the length of the coast. Guided surf excursions, classes and private lessons can be arranged, as well as SUP surf courses
- Drive into the Sintra mountains, 12km. Dubbed a 'Disneyland for adults', Unesco-listed Sintra has long been a popular destination. Don't miss the exuberant 19th-century Pena Palace or the medieval Castle of the Moors. It holds a great music festival in May and June
- Take the train from Sintra to Lisbon and the serene 1960s-landscaped gardens of the Gulbenkian Museum - one of Europe's great unsung galleries
- Walk under a canopy of tropical plants and enjoy 360-degree views in the Sintra-Cascais Natural Park
- Charming family-friendly Cascais (25km), a fishing village turned summer resort for wealthy Lisboetas, has sandy, swimmable beaches, a playground, a park, good restaurants, and a great food market on Wednesdays and Saturdays
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Kite surfing
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Wine tasting
Casa das Arribas is very family friendly and welcomes children of all ages. Kids will love tearing around the grounds, playing in the pool with diving board, and body boarding at the local beach. Azenhas do Mar is a 10-minute walk downhill, with shops, restaurants, a bigger beach and a natural swimming pool.
Family friendly accommodation:
Ocean Saloon and Piso Alto each have 2 double/twin bedrooms and space for a baby cot. North Casita, East Duplex and South Wing all have a sofabed in their living rooms for 1-2 extra guests plus space for a baby cot. Ocean Saloon can connect with South Wing (adjacent) or Piso Alto (above).
Baby cots and high chairs
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Breakfast baskets can be adapted for kids on request
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool
- Tennis court (racquets to borrow)
Kids Activities nearby:
- Boogie boarding & surfing at Praia Grande
- Horse riding
Families Should Know:
The pool is relatively deep and unfenced; the local beach is sandy but isn't suitable for swimming
- Airport: 40km (Lisbon)
- Shop and restaurants: 1km
- Hospital: 22km
Casa das Arribas is located on the cliffs just outside the picturesque village of Azenhas do Mar, 40km northwest of Lisbon.
Fly into Lisbon Portelo (40km) then hire a car to get here and explore the area. You could cope here without a car if you taxi-d from the airport (20-30 mins' drive)
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Lisbon Airport 40.0 km LIS
- Beach 1.0 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 1.0 km