“A 16th-century palace with modern interiors in the heart of Palma's lively historic quarter”
Open since 2000, Palau Sa Font was the city's first designer boutique hotel. On entering the hotel you leave behind the bustle and excitement of the city and arrive to a cool and calming interior. Beautifully designed with bright bold colours, hand-crafted modern furniture and intriguing modern art, Palau Sa Font offers a relaxing haven in the heart of Palma. Its bar is open all day and the rooftop terrace has panoramic views of the city and a refreshing plunge pool.
- Excellent location: right in the heart of the old city, close to cultural sights and the hub of Palma’s nightlife. It's 5 minutes' walk from the harbour and 15 minutes from El Seu cathedral
- Very helpful and friendly service
- Clean-cut, comfortable rooms
- Rooftop views of the cathedral and harbour
- A delicious breakfast and a wealth of great restaurants within a few minutes' walk of the hotel
- The hotel hasn't moved with the times, but a complete redesign is scheduled for early 2019
- We didn't like the art canvases hanging on each bedroom door
- The plunge pool is very small and there's no ambiance
- No parking at the hotel itself but you can drive to the door to drop off luggage. There are public car parks 5 minutes' walk away
Best time to go
Our top tips
Come dinner time, head to Koa on c/ Sant Joan for gourmet pizzas, Asian-style tapas and grilled meats; afterwards, slip next door to their sister bar, Ombu, for superb cocktails.”
- Boutique Hotel
- Breakfast only (walk to restaurants)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Plunge Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The 19 guest rooms are simply furnished. Contrasting with the hotel's traditional exterior, they are modern and clean-cut, offering comfort with easy style. Each has cool pistachio-green walls with cream calico curtains and blinds, crisp white duvets and wrought-iron bed heads. Bathrooms have good showers and huge green stone sinks moulded from a single slab.
Referred to as S, M, L and XL, rooms are priced according to size; we recommend the L and XL rooms (the S rooms are only for single occupany and the M ones a bit cramped). The better rooms overlook the plunge pool and patio; those at the front of the hotel overlooking the narrow lane can be darker. Both can be a bit noisy so bring ear plugs if you're a light sleeper. The best room is the XL with Terrace which has its own terrace overlooking the rooftops. All have satellite TV and a minibar (hidden away in specially designed fabric cabinets), hairdryer and air-conditioning. Individual safety boxes are available at reception.
The interiors and furnishings were designed by Hans J. Pahl, whose attention to detail and unique style won it a place in several 'design hotel' books back in the day. However, it hasn't really moved with the times and when we revisited recently, it looked a little dated. Still clean and functional, but the wrought ironwork used for bedside tables, lamps and drinks cabinet all seemed a bit yesteryear. Bathrooms also felt tired and spartan, with a lack of bathrobes or toiletries. It is still very pleasant, just not hip these days.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Plunge pool
- Satellite TV
A very good breakfast is served in the downstairs bar: an appetising spread of yoghurt, cereals, fresh pastries, homemade quince puree, jams and honey, plus freshly squeezed orange juice. There's a good selection of salamis and cheeses, too.
For other meals, there's no shortage of places to eat nearby; you are surrounded by some of Palma's best tapas bars and restaurants (check out Gaudix around the corner, or Duke in the fashionable Santa Catalina neighbourhood). For further suggestions ask reception.
Open all day, the hotel bar is a nice place to hang out, with interesting modern paintings, funky furniture and a good selection of drinks.
- Restaurants nearby
- Vegetarian menu
- Palma has a wealth of historical and cultural places to see and many are close by, including the city’s magnificent cathedral, La Seu
- Next door to the cathedral, Palau de l'Almudaina was once a Moorish palace and later remodelled in Gothic style in the 13th/14th centuries by the Kings of Mallorca
- Stroll around Palma's harbour - home to some of the world's most expensive yachts
- Shop in the city's excellent boutiques, all within walking distance
- Enjoy a cold beer in one of the outside cafes in La Lonja
- Visit an art gallery - the Fundacio de Caixa or Juan Miro's old house are recommended, as is the nearby Museu d'es Baluard
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
Children are welcome and babies stay for free (cots can be provided). Don't expect any facilities, though - this is more of a hip hotel for 20 and 30 somethings.
Babies (0-1 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
An extra bed is possible in the XL with Terrace rooms and 2 of the L rooms - 1 extra bed max in each at an additional cost. There is the possibility of reduced rates for children in their own room - please enquire for details.
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The hotel is located in the heart of Palma, near the seafront, about a 15-minute drive from the airport.
Palma de Mallorca (15Km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From the Airport
We recommend taking a taxi from the airport rather than hiring a car as parking near the hotel is extremely difficult. There are plenty of taxis in front of the arrivals building. The hotel is located in a very narrow street with a barrier at the end, and you may get dropped a 2-minute walk away in the Place de la Reina. Alternatively it is very easy to get the airport bus and then walk to the hotel once you are in Palma.
If you plan to explore the island, you may wish to hire a car for part of your trip (we recommend that you collect the car at the end of your stay at Palau Sa Font). If you do have a hire car during your stay, you will need to press the intercom to pass the barrier at the end of the street and say you are guests at the hotel; dump your luggage then park in Parque del Mar. See our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Mallorca and getting around
- Palma de Mallorca 15.0 km PMI
- Beach 1.0 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km