A collection of arty, chic studios (sleeping 2), well placed for exploring trendy Saint-Denis, Marais and the Rive Droite”
Tucked down peaceful streets in the Strasbourg-Saint-Denis quartier (which Time Out calls "Paris' coolest neighbourhood"), near the Bourse and Opéra, these small but perfectly styled studio apartments simply ooze character. We’re talking gorgeous, on-trend wood panelling, big original artworks adorning the walls, and floor tiles in bold, highly Instagrammable patterns. It was important to the owners Angie and Chris – long-term Parisian residents who also speak English and Portuguese fluently – to instil their love of art and culture into every space. But it doesn’t stop at the interiors. Each apartment has a lovely back story. Take The Trevise Studio: once a costume workshop that manufactured flamboyant get-ups for Parisian cabarets. Or The Echiquier Workshop, a former fashion studio. You really feel as if you're part of the fabric of this buzzing, historic city when you're staying here. Around you are grand 19th-century Parisian buildings, chic department stores (including Galeries Lafayette), and the vibrant food scene of St-Denis. You're within walking distance of the artsy Marais, the genteel Rive Droite (Tuileries, Louvre), and – on a more practical note – the Gares du Nord and de l'Est. So it's easy to get here; but we bet you'll find it hard to leave.
- Whichever apartment you choose, expect some seriously swoon-worthy decor
- The owners provide a brilliant service, sharing secrets on tourist-free must-sees; someone is always on hand if you need assistance
- For theatre, music and cabaret lovers, the location is second to none: on your doorstep are the Palais Garnier opera house, Les Folies-Bergère and independent theatres galore
- Most apartments have pretty little courtyards with flowers, seats and a breakfast table
- With rates from just EUR 120, they are unbelievable value!
- These are compact spaces, especially the studios - as you'd expect at this price
- We hear some apartments can be light in the mornings, so bring an eye mask if you’d prefer a lie in
- Kitchenettes don’t come with an oven, just a double hob and microwave, but good eateries abound nearby
- Tall folk take note: the bed in The Echiquier Workshop is positioned under a particularly low ceiling
- No kids permitted
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Apartments
- 6 apartments
- Self-catering; walk to restaurants
- Apartments sleep 2 only
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
There are six chic, individually styled studios and apartments in two separate but nearby buildings: one on Rue de l'Echiqiuer and one on Rue de Trévise. Both locations are in the hip microquartier of Strasbourg-Saint-Denis, tucked between the Opéra, Bourse and Marais, and bordering the 2nd, 9th and 10th arrondissements.
Created in spaces which were once bakeries or artists' ateliers, the 5 smaller studios and lofts – all identical in price – are perfect for couples. Beds are queensize – except the one in ex-fashion workshop The Echiquier Studio, which is a smaller continental size – and are, by all accounts, hotel-level comfy. As the name suggests, the small kitchenette and dining area are within the same room.
If you want a bit more space, the Echiquier Atelier – a former leather workshop – comes with a semi-separate kitchen and a glass-roofed sitting area. There is a sofabed, but we don't normally recommend using it as the glass ceiling means you'll wake early.
All studios and apartments have shower bathrooms, and soap and shampoo is supplied.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
All studios and apartments have cute well-equipped kitchenettes, each with a fridge, microwave, Nespresso machine and induction hob, as well as pots and pans and other essentials including salt, pepper and olive oil. Note that there's no oven. Cleaning materials such as bin liners and washing up stuff are also provided. Eating here is less ‘home-cooked feast’, more ‘morning espresso and croissant before tucking into some delicious French fare elsewhere’.
Talking of which, the choices are local and endless. Nearby Rue des Petites-Écuries buzzes with street eateries and bars, including pizzeria Da Graziella, small-plates restaurant Vivant and natural wine bar Déviant (all co-owned, incidentally), as well as excellent Turkish fare at Ozlem. Nearby are Afro-Caribbean (and vegan) Jah Jah, and Bonhomie for polished Med dishes - both come recommended. The lovely owners are always on hand to share their latest finds.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Hob or stove
- Restaurants nearby
- Explore the hip neighbourhood of Strasbourg-Saint-Denis, with its colourful cabarets, myriad theatres and diverse food scene
- Head west for the impressive Palais Garnier opera house (catch a ballet if you can), chic department stores (including Galeries Lafayette and Printemps) and the Grands Boulevards
- Potter the cobbled streets of trendy Le Marais for quirky boutiques, mouth-watering pastries and live jazz in one of the many excellent bars
- Culture vultures are, of course, spoilt for choice: the world famous Louvre and the iconic Centre Pompidou are within walking distance; the stunning Musée Picasso too (enjoy a coffee on the rooftop terrace while you’re there); and it's not much further to the Musée d'Orsay, the Sainte Chapelle and the exciting re-build of Notre Dame
- Take a stroll along the "bobo" (bourgeois-bohemian) Canal Saint Martin, with its leafy promenades, nine locks and street art
- You're also well placed for the Place de la République, the Bastille and even Montmartre
- Stroll across the bridges of the Seine to the Latin Quarter and explore century-old book shops
The apartments sleep 2 adults each, and aren't big enough for extra guests.
Family friendly accommodation:
The Echiquier Atelier does also have a sofabed in the living area but it is not recommended for sleeping, as it is a bright room (with glass ceiling).
- Airport: 45 minutes - 1 hour
- Shops: 1 minute
Paris Boutique Apartments are found in two separate locations, both in the Strasbourg-Saint-Denis quarter, near Opéra, Bourse and République, and within walking distance of the Marais and the Rive Droite.
> See the locations on a Google map
Nearest airports are Charles de Gaulle (27km) or Orly (20km). Both airports are connected to the Gare du Nord on the fast RER railway (line B); or you can take a taxi or Uber (45mins - 1 hour).
The Eurostar whisks you from London (or Brussels) straight into the Gare du Nord. Trains from eastern France and Germany arrive into Gare de l'Est. Both stations are nearby (about 1km).
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Charles de Gaulle Airport 27.0 km CDG
- Orly Airport 20.0 km ORY
- Beach 200.0 km
- Shops 0.3 km
- Restaurant 0.3 km