Behind the palace lies its standout feature: a dreamy 1500 sqm walled garden. Terraced on three levels, it hosts the open-air Puteus Restaurant, with tables set on a wooden deck shaded by a magnificent celtis (hackberry) tree, plus a handful of others on a stone patio draped with roses and wisteria. It's a lovely spot for breakfast or for contemporary Croatian meat and fish dishes later in the day, sometimes accompanied by live music. At the bottom of the garden, there's a large secluded pool for a morning dip, or you could walk to one of the nearby pebbly beaches if you prefer a swim in the sea. The Puteus Palace makes a romantic hideaway for exploring Brac's coastline and sleepy rural villages, and for enjoying the island's hiking, biking and watersports.
- A lovely location overlooking Pucisca's fishing harbour, lined with tamarisk trees and white stone benches
- The magnificent walled garden with its restaurant, lawns, lemon trees, lavender, rosemary, pink oleander and swimming pool
- The stylish lounge with lots of natural light, a fireplace, sofas and armchairs - ideal for receptions
- A great little spa offering Jacuzzi and Finnish sauna (free for guests), located in a separate old stone building
- A helpful concierge service for arranging transfers, activities and excursions
- Only two suites have balconies, though others have windows with lovely harbour views
- Pucisca is rather sleepy with very little nightlife or shopping - not for those after a lively party atmosphere
- Some might find the bedroom decor a little too kitsch
- No kids under 7, a plus for some!
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 15 rooms
- Restaurant and bar
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car not necessary
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Laundry service
There are 15 rooms and suites, spread over the two upper floors, connected by elegant stone stairways. Size and layout vary, but all have dark wooden floors, big comfy beds with plush velvet-padded headboards and silky pillows, wrought-iron candelabra lights and sweeping curtains. Fabrics are in stone-inspired shades of cream, beige and grey, and materials are velvety and silky, suggesting centuries-old luxury. Some rooms also have a wrought-iron sofa, which doubles as an extra bed (suitable for one child). Old-fashioned traditional wooden window shutters can be closed to keep out the hot summer sun. Bathrooms come with lovely old stone floors and either a bathtub or walk-in shower, plenty of towels and lavender-scented Adria Spa toiletries.
On the top floor, the two Suites have spacious balconies – one suite is double-level and has a kitchen, making it ideal for those after the option to self-cater.
- In room treatments available
- Safe box
Breakfast sees a splendid buffet displayed in the dining room, below an impressive stone archway and a wooden-beamed ceiling. Choose from yoghurts, seasonal fruit, platters of salami and cheeses, smoked salmon, oven-warm croissants and apple strudel, plus cooked-to-order bacon, sausage and eggs, and proper Italian espresso or cappuccino. You can take your breakfast into the garden and eat on the shaded wooden deck or the leafy stone patio, furnished with bistro-style wrought-iron and teak tables.
At night, with glowing lamps below a star-lit sky, the garden is superbly romantic. You can easily while away the evening over a bottle of Dalmatian Plavac red wine and a dinner of tasty delights such as octopus and chickpea salad, risotto of shrimps and courgettes, and barbecued fresh fish, pulled straight from the Adriatic.
For drinks, the Puteus Wine Bar occupies a small stone courtyard with four outdoor tables, serving wine (by the glass or bottle) and finger-food.
- Coffee / tea making
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Chill out by the pool in the garden, with sunbeds, parasols and towels provided - if you prefer swimming in the sea, walk down to one of Pucisca's pebble beaches.
- Visit the Stonemason School in Pucisca. Founded in 1909, it offers secondary school education to would-be stonemasons. Pupils give tours to the public – you'll see their studio and works, including stone urns, fountains, religious sculptures and Venetian lions.
- Spend a day in Bol on Brac's south coast – sunbathe on spectacular Zlatni Rat beach, or try windsurfing, sea kayaking or SUP's from the nearby Borak beach (Big Blue offer tuition and rental equipment).
- Visit the isolated 16th-century Blaca Hermitage – either walk down a steep stony path from the abandoned village of Dragovode (30min), or take a boat from Bol to Blaca Bay, then hike up a deep rocky gorge (45min).
- Try a stand-up paddle board (SUP) tour along Brac's north coast, with Postira-based Brac Adventure.
Children over 7 years old are welcome, though there are no special amenities for them. Extra beds for children are available in the Deluxe Double rooms (additional cost). Note that families of 4 or more will need to book more than one room.
Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Deluxe Doubles are the only rooms that can take an extra bed.
- Airport: 25 mins' drive
- Hospital: 45 mins' drive
- Shops: Five mins' walk
Puteus Palace is located in the coastal town of Pucisca, on the north coast of Brac island.
Most guests fly to Split (40km). There's also a charter airport on Brac itself called Bol (16km), which is only served by a handful of airlines.
From the Airport
From Split, you can either arrange a private boat taxi or catch the ferry to Supetar (Brac's main port) - Jadrolinija offers a regular service. Once on the island, take a bus or taxi to Pucisca.
From Brac airport, take a taxi to Pucisca.
If you'd prefer to hire a car just be aware that many of Brac's pretty harbour towns (including Pucisca) are pedestrian-only and parking is a problem in high season, though there are parking spaces at Puteus Palace. Local buses connect all the main settlements on the island.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Brac 16.0 km BWK
- Split 40.0 km SPU
- Beach 0.3 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km