Tranquil and beautifully decorated riad in the heart of Marrakech’s bustling medina (15 rooms)”
The more epicurean, meanwhile, can enjoy the heated plunge pool, the hammam (steam bath), the tented roof terrace, the library, and some excellent food and wine served in a quasi house-party atmopshere. Five minutes walk from the front door is the famous Djemaa el-Fna square, bustling with snake-charmers, storytellers, medicine men and food stalls, in what has been described as one of the world’s greatest shows.
- Your own private museum of north African art
- An oasis of calm 10 minutes walk from Djemaa El-Fna
- Delicious food served by welcoming staff; breakfast on the roof terrace was the best we had in Marrakech
- Good option for families with more space than most riads, huge suites and a self-contained house sleeping up to 5
- There's a plunge pool and most rooms have air-conditioning to provide welcome relief from the heat
- It’s not a hotel, so don’t expect instant service
- The complex series of stairs and winding hallways can make it difficult to find your room - we got lost within the riad a few times
- Some of the cheaper ground floor rooms are a bit dark
- Its location down the narrow alleyways of the medina requires a good sense of direction, especially at night
- And this means a 10-15 minute walk to reach it from the nearest taxi drop-off point - though porters are at hand
Best time to go
Peak periods include Easter, Christmas/ New Year and the annual Festival of Folklore that takes place in June/July. The riad is open all year.”
Our top tips
- Riad Hotel
- 15 rooms
- Restaurant (guests only)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The 15 stylish and peaceful rooms and suites all differ in size, décor and layout, with some having the welcome addition of air-conditioning, plus a bath instead of shower. Larger suites also feature a separate child’s room, fireplace, sitting area and kitchenette. The Senior and Master Suites also have TV's. Unlike some traditional riads, the bathrooms are fitted to a high standard and the beds are comfortable, though those in the Blue House are quite narrow (140cm). Don't be surprised to find your double bed made up with 2 single duvets, German style - the owners are German.
Aesthetes will delight in the historic objets d’art that grace each room. Lie in bed staring up at the 18th-century painted ceiling in the Douiriya Suite, or step into the Chaouen Suite through an intricately patterned door, carved in the homonymous town in northern Morocco. With this kind of decor in your bedroom, you need hardly venture out to the museums!
- Extra beds
- Family friendly
A simple Moroccan-style breakfast is included and served on the tented roof terrace (weather permitting) or in the courtyard under the orange trees. Expect breads, pastries, honey and jam, teas and coffee, fruit salad, homemade yoghurt, cheese and freshly squeezed orange juice.
Lunch and dinner are available daily, and Hassan and his team will prepare whatever takes your fancy - a traditional tagine or couscous, or something less exotic (but no less delicious) like a lamb burger or leek and potato soup! Vegetarians and other diets can be catered for, given advance warning. There is a good selection of local wine and some nice German wines as well. Meals are served wherever you wish - in your room, at a private table in one of the courtyards, or more communally in the dining room. All rooms have complimentary water and some also have basic cooking facilities: fridge, small hob, saucepan, crockery etc.
If you want to explore the city’s culinary delights, see our restaurant recommendations.
- Children's meals
- Family friendly
- Restaurants nearby
- Vegetarian menu
- Haggle your way around Marrakech’s evocative and fascinating souks offering a bewildering array of textiles, carpets, leatherwork, spices and jewellery
- Wander down to the tanneries to witness one of Morocco’s oldest, and smelliest, arts
- Engross yourself in the all-singing, all-dancing, fire-eating, snake-charming, food-vending madness of Djemaa el-Fna
- Take a tour in a horse-drawn carriage around Marrakech’s main sights including the Koutoubia Mosque, Palais el-Badi and the Saadian tombs
- Seek shade in Le Jardin Majorelle, tropical gardens lovingly restored by Yves St Laurent
- Dine in lavish surroundings at one of Marrakech’s grand palace restaurants
- Play golf at one of three 18-hole courses 10-15 minutes away by 'petit taxi'
- Escape to the Atlas mountains for a trek or just some fresh air
- Or to the southern deserts for a camel trek or just a glimpse of endless dunes
- Or to the Atlantic Coast for a swim, surf or a lunch of fresh fish
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
Riyad el Cadi is one of our top choices for families staying in the Medina, especially with older kids. There are several large suites (some with small extra bedrooms and kitchenettes) and the self-contained Blue House sleeps up to 5. Note that the atmosphere is chic and tranquil, with a maze of staircases and corridors, so not the ideal environment for young children. Under 12's stay free, and cots are supplied for babies without charge.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Most of the suites can accommodate at least 1 extra child, while the Blue House, rented as a 2-bedroom whole (sleeping 4-5) will suit a larger family. Two of the Junior Suites (Chaouen and Douiriya) and the large Ottoman Senior Suite each have a second small single bedroom while other rooms (Tanger, Apartment 61, Petite Suite, Palm Senior Suite and the Master Suite) can accommodate extra beds in sitting areas (on request), Some bathrooms have bathtubs; others have showers. Ask on booking if it is important.
French-speaking babysitting available by arrangement; English-speaking babysitting might also be possible. See rates.
Baby monitors available that work from the restaurant to bedrooms.
- 2 cots
- Baby bedding
- Bottle warming
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Food is available all day, with special early dinners for children, half portions of adult mains and a kids menu. Some rooms (Blue House, Ottoman Senior Suite, Master Suite) have simple kitchenettes with a stove and fridge (all rooms have a minibar). There are cafés in walking distance.
Kids Activities on site:
- Heated plunge pool in shared courtyard
- Some toys and books for toddlers
Kids Activities nearby:
- The souk, snake charmers and musicians of Djemma el Fna
- Horse carriage (calèche) rides
- Horse and camel riding
- Oasiria Waterpark (20 minutes away)
Families Should Know:
The pool and stairs inside the riad are unfenced. While the riad is accustomed to babies and children, its rather fine artwork and interior design does need to be respected - tiny tearaways won't be appreciated.
- Airport: 20 minutes
- Hospital: 20 minutes
Riyad El Cadi is in the heart of Marrakech's bustling medina.
Marrakech Menara (5km). lick on the links below for a list of airlines.
By train / bus
Marrakech has good rail and bus connections to the rest of Morocco, including Casablanca and Agadir.
However you arrive, you should ask the riad to meet you - it is tricky to find otherwise! Take a taxi to the drop-off point for the riad, where a porter meets you with a trolley for your bags. Assuming you arrive in the afternoon (see below), it's 10-15 mins walk from there through the medina's winding alleys to the riad - not easy to find without a guide.
When heading off in the morning, it's just 5 minutes walk to Marrakech's main square, Djemaa el Fna, where you can catch a taxi any time until 1pm. After 1pm, the square is now closed to vehicles for security reasons.
If you do want to hire a car (for your travels outside Marrakech) see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions with be provided when you confirm your booking through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Morocco and getting around.
- Marrakech Menara 5.0 km RAK
- Beach 180.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km