“A small, friendly hotel with spectacular mountain views, offering good value in the heart of Deia”
The Hotel D'es Puig of today is a simple, relaxed and intimate affair with rustic guestrooms owned by Mallorquin Jaime Pujol and managed by Lucien and Ana Maria. Life doesn't get much better than spending a lazy afternoon here, reading under a lemon tree by the swimming pool with fabulous mountain views. After a short flight, a 40-minute drive from the airport and no hassle, you are in heaven. There's no restaurant, but this doesn't matter as Deia has an excellent selection of cafes and superb restaurants. And for families (with quiet children) the 2-bedroomed Suite with its own kitchen and living room is ideal. For those on a tighter budget, there are also simpler Superior Apartments self-catering apartments on offer, just around the corner.
- One of our favourite places to stay in Mallorca - not because it is luxurious, more that it is informal, friendly, and set in the heart of idyllic Deia
- Excellent restaurants just a stroll away
- Its swimming pools with wonderful mountain views - a rarity in Deia if you don't want to splash out on the five-star La Residencia or the rather bland Es Moli
- Affordable rates for Deia, which include tax, an ample breakfast, an honesty bar and self-service tea and coffee (hotel rooms only)
- The Superior self-catering apartments make a good budget option (note breakfast is not included). They are separate from the hotel but you can use the hotel pool and there's no minimum stay
- Parking and driving in Deia's windy streets is tricky, but the hotel has parking spaces close by
- No 24hr reception so you'll often need to ring the bell on the front desk for assistance and late check-ins need to be pre-arranged
- Bedrooms and bathrooms are small with single beds pushed together to make doubles and showers only. Rooms at the front can sometimes suffer from noise in high season
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Budget Hotel
- 14 rooms + 5 apartments
- Breakfast only (restaurants nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Laundry Service
The guestrooms are clean, simple and tastefully decorated in Mallorquin style with muted colours, beamed ceilings and terracotta tiled floors. Open the big green shutters in one of the rooms at the back of the hotel overlooking the terrace and pool and you will have truly splendid views of the Tramuntana mountains. Two of them also have small private terraces with table and chairs. The rooms at the front look out to the mountains, distant sea and a narrow street. All have phone, flat-screen television, heating/air-conditioning and small ensuite shower room with blue and white Mallorcan tiling.
On the downside, none of the rooms have bathtubs and some of the lower category rooms have double beds that are twin beds pushed together with rather thin mattresses). None are large enough for an extra bed, and in summer those at the front can sometimes be noisy at night.
Those wanting the best on offer should opt for the Suite, which takes up the whole of the top floor. It has 1 small double bedroom with a kingsize bed (2 singles pushed together), 1 twin bedroom, bathroom, spacious open plan sitting-kitchen-dining area, private terrace and wonderful views from every window. Please note that it is on the 3rd floor and there is no lift. We also like the look of the newer Junior Suites as you get an airy lounge and terrace with open views.
The hotel also owns a handful of self-catering apartments which are located just round the corner and are available for short term rentals. These Superior Apartments have a full kitchen (with an oven, dishwasher, a washing machine and tumble dryer). The furnishings are simpler and less stylish than the hotel and the bedrooms are small, but you do get more space elsewhere, including a good sized sitting room with mountain views. You can use the hotel pool but breakfast isn't included. A good choice for families or those wanting greater independence on a tighter budget. We often stay in the apartments so that we can save our euros for eating out in Deia!
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Honesty bar
- Internet access
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
An ample buffet is laid out for breakfast - cereal, breads, jams, cake, fruit, yoghurt, boiled eggs, ham and cheese, and help-yourself tea, coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice. In summer you eat outside on the terrace under a vine looking across to the mountains. There's a breakfast room for the cooler months.
The hotel can serve light lunches such as carpaccio or tuna salads, perfect for a sunny day but there are plenty of restaurants in Deia, all a 5-10 minute stroll down the hill. Deia is Mallorca's gourmet hotspot with at least 3 restaurants with or worthy of a Michelin star, and there are some great bars nearby. Ask at reception for restaurant recommendations. We also love the simple fish restaurant down in Deia's pebbly cove.
The hotel has an honesty bar and small sitting room so you can help yourself to whatever you fancy, from Coke to G&T and just write it down on your room card.
For those who prefer to cater for themselves, the Penthouse Suite and nearby Standard Self-Catering Apartments have simple kitchen facilities, while the Superior Self-Catering Apartments have full kitchens. There are a couple of grocery stores nearby. Guests in the apartments are able to take breakfast in the hotel (additional cost) subject to the hotel's occupancy.
- Restaurants nearby
- In summer, sunbathe by the pools or snooze under a lemon tree, opening your eyes occasionally to check out the view
- Walk down to Deia's small cove (30-40 mins via Es Clot and through olive terraces) for a quick dip in the sea and lunch on delicious grilled fresh fish and a glass of chilled wine. (Don't think about the hike back up!)
- In summer, sit on the vine-covered terrace of Cafe Sa Fonda with a cool beer watching the setting sun turn the mountains red, or much, much later for a nightcap
- For the energetic, go hiking in the surrounding mountains - ideal in spring or autumn or get up at the crack of dawn in summer to miss the midday heat. Highly recommended is the 3-4 hour hike to Valldemossa via Teix offering spectacular views of the coast
- Enjoy a classical concert frequently given between April-October at Son Marroig, a beautiful old mansion just outside Deia
- Visit nearby Valldemossa, a hilltop town where Chopin and George Sands lived
- Mooch around Deia's small boutiques and arty shops (you can also visit working artists by arrangement) or pop into the Archeological Museum
- Take the scenic coastal road to Soller, a pretty old town, where you can sit in the square, drinking the sweetest fresh orange juice
- For golfers there are plenty of courses on the island, many within half an hour's drive
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Classical concerts
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
Children are welcome but there are no special facilities. Baby cots can be provided (free of charge) and babysitting can sometimes be arranged with advance notice, although the Spanish tend to eat out with their children in tow until the early hours. There's a pool, but don't expect lots of activities laid on for kids.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Suite with both a double and twin bedroom as well as kitchen is a good option (though be warned it's on the third floor, there's no lift and noisy children will not be appreciated by the guests below!). The self-catering Superior Apartments have a double and twin room and living area, and are great value with a full kitchen with dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer, making them the best option for families. However, they are separate from the hotel and breakfast is not included in the rate. All rooms can fit a baby cot, but doing this in one of the Double/Twin rooms will be a tight squeeze, so we recommend opting for an apartment or suite
- Baby cot
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Choice of swimming pools
Kids Activities nearby:
- Visiting Soller
Families Should Know:
It's a good 40 minutes down to the beach, and a stiff walk back up to Deia
- Airport: 40 minutes
- Shops: 2 minutes
Hotel D'es Puig is located in the centre of Deia village, a 40-minute drive from Palma airport.
Fly into Palma (35km). Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving this airport.
From the Airport
The hotel does not offer transfers but there are plenty of taxis in front of the arrivals building or hire a car.
Hiring a car is a must if you plan to explore the island or go to the beach in mid-summer (the 40-minute walk back up the hill can be exhausting). Please see our car rental recommendations. The hotel has designated parking spaces for guests.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Mallorca and getting around
- Palma 35.0 km PMI
- Beach 2.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km