“A warm-hearted and upbeat urban hideaway with 5 chic suites, amid the cappuccino and couture scene of glam Kolonaki”
In a city now awash with charismatic micro-hotels - many with rooftop terraces and Acropolis views - Sir Athens faces fierce competition. But this inviting yet simple bolthole in a sought-after address offers a tranquil repose from the ceaseless beat of the city.
- Turn right onto Skoufa for hip wine bars, galleries, day spas and gourmet Greek emporiums
- For such a small outfit, we were really impressed by the excellent service from the front desk
- The elevator opens directly onto each room – in keeping with Kolonaki’s VIP vibe!
- We loved the supersize in-room coffee mugs (a rarity in Athens) plus brewing kits of organic loose leaf Greek teas
- Great water pressure in the showers (another Athenian rarity)
- Most rooms have no balcony or terrace (except one Comfort Suite), and no view to speak of
- No parking; though a nearby car park has affordable rates
- The lobby feels rather corporate and tired and doesn’t match the fresh mood of the rooms
- Generally, not much hanging space and some bathrooms have little shelf space for toiletries
- No twin beds
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Guesthouse
- Walk to restaurants
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
The rooms are one-to-a-floor and start from a pair of Comfort Suites: go for the garden one, which has a small neoclassical-inspired courtyard ideal for cosy breakfasts. Next come the more spacious Sir Athens – a double with an extra sofa bed in another room and a balcony – and the premium Sir Attic with its charming whitewashed eaves, cute breakfast bar and generous proportions (this sleeps 4). There's also a separate Sir Apartment in an annex, which comes with kitchenette and an extra sofabed.
Each has a different layout and one defining flourish – be it a colour block feature wall, a statement leather armchair or sassy wall mural – but all rooms are unified by a calming palette of restful greys, snowy white, marble and bronze side tables and natural-fibre rugs. Arty Athenian photography brightens hallways.
Welcome extras include Nespresso machines, Netflix, Elemis toiletries, Guy Laroche bed linens and a mini-bar stashed with Greek goodies like Mastiha-flavoured mineral water and pasteli (honey sesame) power bars.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Lockdown permitting, breakfast comes in the form of a generously-packed box delivered to your door from a local café. Options include English, Greek, Sweet Lovers, Gluten Free, Vegan, Protein and Kids. We like the look of Greek (for the baked eggs with feta) and Sweet Lovers (macaroons and homemade lemonade, yum!). Guests in the apartment get a kitchenette with fridge and hob (but no oven) for rustling up simple snacks and coffees.
Being Kolonaki, you’re only ever an olive pit’s throw from other terrific eating options. The neighbourhood is simply loaded with cool coffee hutches, brunch gems and some of Athens’ best bakeries (try Queen Bee, Athens Bakery or Le Pain). For a one-stop-shop from brunch through to the early hours (Athenians love a late night!), walk five minutes to the trendy foodie pocket on the corner of Skoufa and Omirou. An Italian bistro, Greek grillhouse and healthy gourmet hotspot share a lovely leafy courtyard.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Restaurants nearby
- Dive into Kolonaki’s celebrated café society: join the fashionistas in Milioni and Kapsali streets or cut straight to the chase in Kolonaki Square, the ultimate see-and-be-seen quarter
- Take in a spectacular sunset from Mount Lycabettus, by following the pine-studded trail up to the medieval chapel of Agios Georgios (or whizz up on the funicular)
- Hit Voukourestiou, and splash out on swanky Greek and international designers (or window shop like the rest of us!)
- It’s only a 20-minute walk to the popular Plaka district at the foot of the Acropolis; and a further 10 to the Monastiraki flea market or the impressive Acropolis Museum
- Two lovely lesser known museums are a 15-minute stroll away: the Benaki showcases Greek culture from prehistory to the 20th-century, while the Museum of Cycladic Art has the world’s richest trove of this ancient Aegean culture
- Witness the famous the hourly changing of the guard outside Parliament. The elegant slow march of the iconic evzones in pleated kilts and pompoms always impresses
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
While not overtly kid-friendly, there’s no reason why families won’t be comfortable at Sir Athens, especially in the Sir Athens and Sir Attic suites which both sleep 4. Note there are no extra beds.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The split-level Sir Attic is the best bet for families. You've got more space and two proper double beds (that can be closed off for privacy!). Note that neither bed can be configured as a twin. You'll have to share a bathroom though and there's a few marble steps that might trip up toddlers
Families Should Know:
The snug elevator might prove tricky for younger families travelling with prams
- Airport: 45-60 minutes
- Shops: 5 minutes
Nestled at the foot of Mount Lycabettus toward’s Kolonaki’s outer edge, and 300 metres from the Panepistimio metro station, Sir Athens puts you within comfy walking distance of all of Athens’ Greatest Hits (the Acropolis and Acropolis Museum, historic Plaka, Monastiraki and Syntagma Square).
There are plenty of direct flights to Athens International Airport from European cities, plus major North American and Asian hubs.
From the Airport
Either take the metro from the airport (Line 3) and change at Syntagma to Line 2 to Anthoupoli, or take a taxi (about 45 minutes). There's also a 24-hour bus service (every 20 minutes) to Syntagma from the airport.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Athens International Airport 33.0 km ATH
- Beach 12.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km