An expert tour operator who will customise your dream holiday to suit your personal interests and budget”
All this can make reaching your hotel more of an adventure than zip-wiring through a rainforest, which is why we'd advise booking a tour or bespoke itinerary with our chosen ground operator, rather than stressing about the logistics yourself. They can arrange a package that includes as much or as little as you like (drivers and guides, activities, hotels, or your entire trip), and their suggested itineraries have been designed by their well-travelled staff to help you get the most out of each region. Whether you want to birdwatch, white-water raft, surf, be pampered or enjoy a mixture of lazing and activity, their friendly staff will listen your needs and advise you.
Why we chose this partner
- Long established; the company was set up in 1999 by 2 friends. They now have 80 full-time staff in 3 countries (a mix of international expats and locals)
- They are the only company who meet you off your international flight and whisk you straight through immigration
- They work with some of i-escape's favourite hotels, including Lapa Rios Ecolodge and The Harmony Hotel
- Itineraries for everyone - couples, families, adventure lovers - and an exciting new one with a week in Panama
- All guides are ICT (Costa Rican Tourism Board) certified, and speak English, as do their drivers, who will whisk you around in a Hyundai H1, Toyota Hiace or Mercedes minibus
- Their staff are available any time you need help on your trip, at the end of a phone
Please be aware
- i-escape can only vouch for those properties which are featured and reviewed on our website. For other areas and accommodations, while we do trust our operator to provide the best options for your needs, you should make sure that you are happy with their suggestions before confirming
- You must book a complete package with Tailormade Tours - Costa Rica, which consists of hotels and transfers as the minimum inclusions
Best time to go
Our top tips
Accommodation in Costa Rica ranges from boutique city hotels to friendly eco lodges, secret treehouses and jungle cabanas; you can literally hide away in a cloud forest if that's your thing.
We've reviewed many of these in extensive detail, and you can request their inclusion in your itinerary. Otherwise, be guided by Tailormade Tours Costa Rica, who will recommend properties to suit your budget and preferences.
Here are the things we loved:
- Ziplining through the rainforest
- Guided wildlife tours to spot monkeys, sloth and adorable tree frogs
- Watching Arenal Volcano pout plumes of smoke by day, and streams of red lava by night
- Learning to surf
- Hanging Bridge tours through the jungle canopy
- Deep-sea fishing for enormous catch - sailfish, marlin, tuna, dorado
- White-water rafting down Grade IV rapids
- Kayaking through lush mangrove
- Bird watching - scarlet macaws, bright quetzals, toucans and tanagers
- Relaxing on pristine beaches
- Scuba diving past white-tipped sharks, rays and large schools of fish that create an underwater eclipse
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
- Scuba diving courses
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
- Whale watching
- Wine tasting
Costa Rica is great for families, with loads of activities; 8+ year olds will especially love it. Children under 10 will usually be charged a child rate (which varies, according to your itinerary); children over 10 will be charged an adult rate. All hotels allow children.
We would recommend choosing a Customised Trip and telling them your exact needs, interests and criteria so they can do you a bespoke itinerary.
Babies (0-1 years), Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
The company will arrange all transportation as part of your tour. Most of it will take place in an air-conditioned 4x4, and you might need to take an internal flight. And if you book hidden hotels such as Pacuare Lodge, you may need to raft your way in...!
Most tours start and end in San José, the capital city and the busiest airport - though Liberia is becoming more popular, especially among charter / package operators. Click on the links below for a list of airlines serving these airports.
You will be met at the airport straight off the plane and taken straight through immigration (unless you have agreed otherwise).
More on getting to Costa Rica and getting around