Hip, modern, minimalist Nusa Dua hotel and spa with individual pavilion rooms and private infinity pools”
Set on a hillside in the upmarket enclave of Nusa Dua, its individual pavilions are cutting-edge contemporary design. Each pavilion has its own small garden, with a daybed the size of a small house. Walk into the bathroom and you could find yourself drifting down into your own infinity swimming pool. What's clever is how they've combined the seclusion of private walled enclosures without losing a sense of open space. You can look out, nobody looks in. Your own butler checks you in and will sort out any trips you need. With armies of staff, ultra style, funky restaurants and a fabulous spa, they don't come more luxurious than this.
- High-style, ultra private pavilions, all with own infinity pools - some of the most seductive rooms on the island that make you think twice about bothering to leave
- Soothing atmosphere and total luxury, including highly personalised service
- Excellent spa with inspired treatments and plenty of couples options
- Striking minimalist design, a complete contrast to the usual Balinese decor
- Just a 30-minute drive from the airport, perfect for relaxing at the beginning or end of your trip
- Cut off from the outside world and not for those seeking a traditional Balinese experience. Ideal for those wanting to cocoon themselves but not if you want shops, restaurants and culture
- No direct beach access - though the beach club is a short walk or drive away
- Some minor signs of wear and tear, the limestone isn't as gleaming as it once was
- A romantic retreat, no children under 16
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 29 pavilions
- Restaurant and bar
- Not suitable
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Bicycles Available
Each hillside pavilion is set within its own walled garden with a private swimming pool. Whether a 1-Bedroom, a Deluxe 1-Bedroom or a 2-Bedroom Pavilion, the style and layout is consistent, with ultra-minimalist clean lines that please the eye.
Sliding glass doors open into the large bedroom where there's wardrobe space for a diva and enough gadgetry to keep tech-fiends happy. Beds have mosquito nets and the hotel is regularly sprayed (we visited in rainy season and didn't see any).
Chic bathrooms with fine terrazzo flooring have twin basins and delicious aromatic hand-made products. Each has an indoor and outdoor shower as well as a bathtub, but the highlight is stepping directly into the pool from your bathroom.
Outside, the kingsize daybed is set under a pillared veranda. Here you overlook your pool, listen to the built in music system and snack on the fresh cookies provided.
The Deluxe 1-Bedroom Pavilions are larger with softer sand coloured interiors. Their rates include additional benefits: daily half-board dining or spa treatments, plus evening cocktails.
- Air conditioning
- DVD player
- Outdoor shower
- Plunge pool
- Private garden
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
- Swimming pool
If you venture out of your room, you'll find the Faces restaurant set in a bright and airy pavilion with an open kitchen, next to the main pool. Here meals are served throughout the day.
Expect modern European and Asian cuisine using mainly organic produce. Dishes are light, full of flavour and beautifully presented - perhaps perfectly cooked cumin-seared scallops with potato mash and spicy harissa.
We were also seriously impressed with the imaginative breakfasts, which included the best selection of eggs we’d seen in some time. Try the Bale Benedict or bacon and egg burger – both superb.
Come evening, you can also relax with signature cocktails and global tapas in Tapa, a stunning raised bistro where DJs and acoustic musicians often add to the chilled-out ambience.
If you want to break out, take a taxi to Seminyak (or use the hotel's free transfer service within Nusa Dua).
- Coffee / tea making
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Some guests never venture out of their pavilions and just totally chill out for their whole stay. After all, your butler can bring everything to you
- The Bale's own small private Geger Beach Club is just 5 minutes drive away (transport is free). There's a long stretch of white-grey sand and the water is calm. You'll find more staff there to offer drinks and snorkelling equipment for hire
- Totally de-stress The Bale's Spa with its wide selection of treatments like the the couple's Balinese massage or Zen ritual with its hot stone and green tea massage
- Yoga sessions that suit your pursuit - they have sessions for surfing, diving, energising or even just relaxing
- Nusa Dua on the Bukit Peninsula is a quiet enclave of upmarket hotels, but the nearby Bali Collective offers shopping and the hotel can recommend local restaurants. If you want more action and local colour, take a taxi to bustling Seminyak
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Well being
The Balé is perched on the hillside of Bali's Nusa Dua area close to the white sandy beach of Geger.
Denpasar Ngurah Rai (12km / 30-minute drive) is served by many international airlines. You can also fly to Jakarta, then travel overland or on a connecting flight to Denpasar.
From the Airport
The hotel offers a complimentary transfer to and from the airport. If you'd prefer to get a taxi, go to the Airport Taxi Desk in arrivals, where fares are fixed.
There are frequent boats between Bali and the major islands in Indonesia, including Java, Lombok and Komodo. You can then catch a bemo (minibus) from the port to Nusa Dua, where someone from the hotel will meet you.
The hotel offers free transport within the Nusa Dua area and can arrange transfers and excursions across Bali. Scooters are also a popular way to get around locally.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Bali and getting around
- Denpasar Ngurah Rai Airport 12.0 km DPS
- Beach 1.0 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km