A rustic-chic hillside villa (sleeping 2-10) set in a walled garden with a pool and sweeping views over the Bay of Kotor”
Inside, there's a gracious but cosy living room, a spacious kitchen and five en-suite double bedrooms, furnished with antique pieces, handmade Persian rugs, old prints and eclectic artworks. The result is a fabulous, homely retreat with bags of character.
Outside, there's a terraced garden with outdoor eating spaces and a pool with parasols and wooden sunbeds, all overlooking the dramatic mountains and calm waters of Kotor Bay. The location, on Lustica peninsula, offers a lush interior dotted with rural villages, medieval churches and olive groves that once supplied the Venetian Republic's coastal settlements. Lustica gives onto Kotor Bay to the north and the open sea to the south, where you'll find several blissfully secluded beaches. Nearby activities include sailing, sea-kayaking, cycling and hiking; kids will love it here. Come with all the family or bring your friends - this would make a great hideaway for a celebration with loved ones.
- The magnificent hillside location above the Bay of Kotor – near medieval Kotor town, but away from the crowds
- Lovely walled garden with stone terraces, a barbecue, a pool with views, fig trees, climbing roses and fragrant herbs
- Each bedroom has its own outdoor entrance for added privacy
- The rustic sitting room comes with wood-burning stove, comfy sofas, antique pieces, artworks, and ents system
- The proximity to both sea and mountains makes it a perfect base for watersports and adventure sports enthusiasts
- The tiny hamlet of Zabrdje is very sleepy so don't expect much in the way of shopping or nightlife - although there is a van that comes each morning selling homemade wine, meat, oil and other essentials
- You really need to hire a car to explore the area properly
- Only one en-suite bathroom has a bathtub – the others have glass-sided showers
- There's an adjoining annexe that's separately owned, with outdoor space beside the back veranda, but no facilities are shared
- We've not visited in person since the new owners arrived in 2022
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Villa
- 5 bedrooms
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- English-speaking caretaker
- Pool and beach towels
Each bedroom is different in terms of layout, aspect and decor, but all have exposed stone walls, handmade Persian rugs and an eclectic mix of antique prints and contemporary artworks from across the former Soviet Union. You get an en-suite shower room (the master bedroom ensuite has a bath), a safe, WiFi and air-conditioning. All rooms have kingsize beds, but in two rooms these can be divided to create two singles if preferred.
The master bedroom, Orla, has two doors opening onto the garden, plus a sofa, a marble coffee table and mahogany dressing tables. Copper is named after its copper bedstead and has a collection of novels in French, Russian, English and Italian, plus lots of art books, and the best views across the garden and pool to the bay and mountains. Oriental has a Chinoiserie painted altar table and is hung with Oriental art and antique swords. Oak is named after its 18th-century carved oak side table, while the more ostentatious Herrington has a mirrored dressing table and bedside tables.
- Air conditioning
- Board games
- Coffee maker
- DVD player
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
- Wood burning stove
The kitchen is extremely spacious and lovely for cooking in. It has exposed stone walls, five little windows giving onto the garden, and a long wooden dining table seating 10. You'll find everything you need for cooking up a storm: oven, hotplates, fridge, freezer and kettle, plus plenty of pots, pans, glasses and crockery. We particularly loved the main workspace, which is a central island rimmed by high stools.
There's a covered verandah with an alfresco dining table for warmer months. Steps lead down to the garden, where you'll find an outdoor summer kitchen (barbecue, fridge and sink) shaded by a pergola. For shopping, the nearest supermarket is Queen in Krasici (5km). Or, if you're feeling indulgent, a chef can be arranged on request.
If you opt to eat out, good restaurants are a short drive away. Try Forte Rose in Rose and Ribarsko Selo in Zanjice, both with lovely waterside terraces. In Kotor, rustic Scala Santa is the town's oldest eatery, with a lovely open fire in winter.
- Chef on request
- Coffee maker
- Dinner by arrangement
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Hob or stove
- Lunch by arrangement
- Explore Kotor's Unesco-listed fortified old town, with its 12th-century cathedral, Venetian-era mansions and quaint cobbled alleys filled with restaurants and cafes.
- Visit tiny Perast, looking onto twin islets, each capped by a church – catch a boat from the seafront to Our Lady of the Rocks.
- Sunbathe and swim at local beaches – try Zanjice, a curving pebble bay backed by several bars and restaurants, or the chi-chi Almara Beach Club on a wide wooden deck hosting guest DJ's near Lustica Bay.
- Try sea kayaking or paddleboarding - Montenegro+ offer guided tours from Veslo beach on Lustica to the Blue Cave, as well as night paddling from Movida beach.
- Charter a private yacht from Porto Montenegro marina for a skippered sailing trip around Kotor Bay.
- Go olive oil tasting in Tici, where Ilija Moric runs tours of his olive groves and 400-year-old mill, followed by a lunch of traditional local specialities.
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Olive oil tasting
- Quad biking
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
The villa and garden offer a safe and peaceful environment for children to play in. Having your own kitchen (and a separate outdoor kitchen) means you can prepare special meals for kids. Cots, high-chairs and other baby-care equipment are available on request. Kids will love the pool, as well as trips to local beaches, sea kayaking, paddleboarding, cycling and hiking.
Family friendly accommodation:
Two of the rooms can be set up as twins - request when booking. There's a folding bed available if older children prefer to share a room with their parents
- High chair
- Baby cots
- Eating utensils & crockery
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities nearby:
- Sandy beaches
- Swimming and snorkelling
Families Should Know:
The pool is not fenced.
- Airport: 25 minutes
- Hospital: 25 minutes
- Supermarket: 10 minutes
The house sits in the peaceful hillside hamlet of Zabrdje, on the north side of Lustica peninsula, overlooking the sheltered waters of the Bay of Kotor in Montenegro.
Tivat (15km) is the closest and most convenient airport. You could also fly into Dubrovnik (66km) or Podgorica (95km), and then self-drive along the coast.
From the Airport
We'd recommend hiring a car in order to reach the villa and explore the surrounding area. See our car rental recommendations. There is free off-road parking at the villa.
Detailed directions will be sent when you confirm a booking through i-escape.
- Tivat 15.0 km
- Podgorica 95.0 km
- Beach 1.0 km
- Shops 2.7 km
- Restaurant 4.0 km