Passionate owner Leontine is the linchpin that ties the two worlds together, with her artistic vision and effusive friendliness. She designed and decorated the house with a quirky, cool style which brims with high-quality adornments: top-notch kitchen appliances, air-con and luxuriously appointed bathrooms. And she has a remarkable ability to read guests’ needs. Whether you’re after mysterious Nuragic stone citadels, reservations at smart restaurants, beach tips, boat trips or hiking routes, Leo and her little black book of contacts will be your way in to the secrets of the Costa Smeralda that few visitors have time to discover.
- This is a timelessly simple private hilltop hideaway, perfect for couples and friends looking for seclusion and silence
- Yet less than half an hour from some of Sardinia’s most sensational beaches and restaurants, as well as Olbia airport
- The cottage is gorgeously curated, packed with thoughtful touches and a superbly equipped kitchen
- There's great mountain biking and hiking from the doorstep
- Very affordable: you could book it as a couple and not break the bank (or rattle around)
- The access track to the cottage is very steep and bumpy: you will need a high-clearance car, ideally a 4x4
- There's no pool, but beautiful beaches are a short drive away
- It's clearly a part-time home, full of knick-knacks and finds from the beach; not suitable for minimalist fans
- Not recommended for children under 6 due to the un-landscaped and wild terrain around the house (heaven for wilderness lovers, though)
- Note the 7-night minimum stay
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Cottage rental
- 2 bedrooms
- Over 5s welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car essential
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
Besides the open-plan living-dining space and kitchen, there are two bedrooms in the Olbia Hilltop Hideaway. The master bedroom, dressed in monochromatic hues, comes with a raised bathtub where you can stargaze, and a separate shower and loo. There is plenty of storage from built in wardrobes, plus a vanity area with sink, and doors that open directly onto the terrace.
The second bedroom has more flexibility, with twin beds and a separate bunk bed, plus a pull-out third bed. It could accommodate a whole family or just a couple (the twin can be made into a double), thereby making the hideaway suitable for a multi-generational family escape. There’s a sink in this room too, plus a drench shower and loo in the bathroom next door.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- DVD player
- In room treatments available
- Safe box
- Washing machine
The house is extremely well set up for self-catering, and the large fridge comes with essentials like wine, fresh pesto and salad. There are appliances for making coffee, preparing food and cooking, and nearby supermarkets on the outskirts of Olbia are well-stocked for an alfresco bbq (there’s a large gas bbq and long dining table on the terrace) and the glassware cupboard has every conceivable vessel available. Dusk at the house is very special but should you not feel like cooking, Leontine has a range of contacts from ready-prepared family cooking, to a skilled chef to serve you.
There’s a huge choice for eating out, from barefoot dining at laidback beach shacks, smart white-tablecloth restaurants to breezy hilltop pizzerias. We loved the boho-chic town of San Pantaleo for aperitivo in the golden-hued square and pizzas at Ichnos, and a seafood lunch on the terrace of Caletta Beach overlooking pine-backed Cala Ginepro was excellent. The nearest eatery is rustic Stazzu Li Paladini, 3km away.
- Chef on request
- Food blender
- Full kitchen
- Shopping service
- Explore the region’s array of white-sand beaches from lounger-clad Baia Sardinia with its promenade and gelateria, to the shady coves of Capriccioli, borrowing the house’s umbrella, snorkels and cool box.
- Take to the seas to discover the crystal clear waters and pink beaches that surround the Maddelena archipelago - either by your own private boat rental or vintage sailing vessel
- Bike or hike the old hunting trails around the house, best done in the cooler months of spring or autumn to see wild tortoises, hares and magical rock formations
- Take advantage of the house’s terraces and panoramic views with an aromatherapy massage or private yoga session in the comfort of your own home
- Horse ride through the macchia-covered hills dotted with pastel-coloured villages, or canter on the beach through clear-as-gin water
- Learn about the Bronze Age at a series of historical rock citadels called Nuraghe and explore the unexplained tombs, wells and towers at sacred sites
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
Although the house is not suitable for under 6’s due to the rocky landscape and the rope balustrade terraces, it’s fine for family holidays with older, outdoorsy children - if you don't mind the bumpy drive. There’s plenty to entertain kids with over 200 DVDs, board games, books and rambles around the nearby rocks. Kids love the beaches with shallow water and there are snorkels, masks and beach toys to borrow.
Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
The family room can be configured to have two twins (or a double), and there is a bunk bed which also has pull-out trunk bed underneath it.
Families Should Know:
The grounds are full of rocks, with some unprotected drops and an unfenced irrigation pond.
- Airport: 30 minutes
- Hospital: 32 minutes
- Shops: 20 minutes
The Olbia Hilltop Hideaway is set in the hills above Olbia, near the scattered houses of Casagliana and Sole Ruiu, and about 10km from the pretty village of San Pantaleo (shops, restaurants).
Sardinia has 3 airports. The nearest is Olbia (16km), which has seasonal flights. Failing that try Alghero (143km) or Cagliari (270km); the latter has year-round flights.
You can reach Olbia or Golfo Aranci from mainland Italy (Genoa, Livorno, Piombino, Civitavecchia) or France (Corsica, Marseille).
From the airport / port:
You'll need a sturdy, high-clearance hire car (ideally a 4x4) to reach the cottage, and for local shopping and exploration.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Olbia 16.0 km OLB
- Olbia 143.0 km AHO
- Beach 13.0 km
- Shops 10.0 km
- Restaurant 10.0 km