“Stylish hotel with private pool villas overlooking the sparkling Andaman Ocean”
Perched upon a hill, the open-air reception, roof-top bar and suites have stunning views over the pine-fringed bays of Bang Tao and Layan to the Andaman Ocean. These are two of Phuket's loveliest beaches, with soft sands, exotic birds, fine coral, a lagoon and few tourists. The villas are enormous, all cool grey concrete, glass and splashes of colour, and are staggered up the hillside. You can enjoy a sunset massage in total seclusion, or take a moonlit skinny-dip in your large private infinity pool right outside your bedroom door.
- The quiet, sandy coastline is away from Phuket's throngs
- It's extremely romantic, with in-villa spa treatments, a private pool for most villas, and private dining under the stars
- The staff are friendly but never obsequious
- The rooftop bar is named 360 for its spectacular views
- You'll find elegant bespoke furniture throughout the hotel
- You're not on the beach, but a short shuttle bus-ride away
- There is building work going on in the valley, and some undeveloped scrubland nearby, but the hotel advises it is no longer causing any disturbance
- It's not a place to socialise: few common areas, mostly couples, very peaceful
- It would be easy to spend days here without seeing any of Phuket
- You would soon exhaust the menu if you eat in every day
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Beach Resort
- 49 villas
- Restaurants and bars (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
The Tropical Pool Villas, Ocean View Pool Villas and 3-Bedroom Pool Villas all share the same interiors. Reached through wooden double doors, they have smooth concrete floors, custom-made dark-wood daybeds and glass walls. There are more glass walls in the bedrooms, where kingsize beds face dazzling views. Outside comfortable sun loungers surround large infinity pools, a massage sala and dining area.
A huge dressing room opens into an even bigger bathroom. The oversized bath stands on a bed of smooth pebbles and you can look onto a small palm garden as you laze. There’s also an open-air shower.
If you want even greater privacy, the Spa & Pool Pavilions are set on the terraced hillside and accessed by a cable-driven funicular. Each has an infinity pool and a personal spa room (which staff enter via a separate entrance). Further up the hill, each of the vast two-storey Spa & Pool Penthouses has a lounge, dining room, private terrace, spa and free-standing Jacuzzi upstairs. Since our visit, the Hill View Suites, Garden Suites and 2-bedroom Pool Lofts have also been added - we can't wait to see them for ourselves...
- 'Maxi' bar
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Coffee / tea making
- DVD player
- Ipod dock
- Pre-loaded iPod
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
- Swimming pool
There are 3 onsite restaurants: the main restaurant, the Plantation Club, which is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and afternoon tea; 360, serving drinks and tapas-style plates alongside views to die for; and the pool bar, Eastlands which serves snacks and Japanese-influenced lunches, as well as drinks. A lot of guests take advantage of the private dining and eat on the terrace of their villa or pavilion.
For breakfast choose from eggs, bacon and hash browns or banana pancakes, muesli, yoghurt, fresh bread, fruit and juices if you want to eat in your villa, or head to the restaurant for a full buffet with more hot options.
Lunch means spicy Thai salads, a club sandwich or Tom Ka Gai (chicken in coconut soup). Dinner could be tea smoked duck spring rolls, Phad Thai (stir fried noodles), spaghetti in tomato sauce or locally caught sea bass. As well as the in-room menu there is an impressive ‘maxi’ bar, which, includes proper sized bottles of champagne, spirits and wine, as well as a generous variety of crisps and snacks.
Step through the bamboo-fringed entrance to the hotel’s chic hilltop lounge bar and you'll see why it's called 360: it commands panoramic views over Phuket’s green interior and the glittering Andaman Ocean. Lit with lanterns and furnished with oversized chairs and sofas, it's a cool spot to hang out of an evening. Choose a cocktail or a light meal from the multi-levelled V shaped bar and relax to chill-out music or the occasional guest DJ. On Friday evenings a 4-course 'surprise-menu' dinner is served and on Sundays there's a 'Latin Flavours BBQ'.
For meals out, the hotel can make bookings at Lotus, a restaurant on Bang Tao Beach, and also recommend Ka Jok See restaurant in Phuket town (both are a taxi ride away). The latter is a charming, authentic hole in the wall visited by locals, tourists and a smattering of celebrities.
- Coffee / tea making
- Room service
- Take advantage of the privacy: laze by the pool, have al fresco massages and dine under the stars
- Get the complimentary shuttle to the hotel's private area on Layan beach, nestled among pine trees in Sirinat National Park (loungers and towels provided). It’s a stunning, frequently deserted stretch of white sand with tiny beach bars where you can stop for a beer. You can also take the shuttle further down the beach to Bang Tao
- Head to the Laguna complex for shopping, dining or the beach in that area
- Laguna stables are nearby. Go horse riding on Layen or Bang Tao beach or ride along along tree-lined trails
- You haven’t experienced Phuket until you’ve seen it from the water. Charter a boat with Tawan Cruises to the island’s dramatic limestone islands or go kayaking by starlight. Both can be organized through the hotel
- Phuket is famous for its scuba diving
- Tee off on one of the 3 world class golf courses nearby - Blue Canyon, Mission Hills and Laguna Phuket Golf Club
- Go mountain biking through local villages and coconut groves
- Head off for a shopping trip: check out the boutiques and galleries in Surin Plaza for Thai homeware and art and visit Patong night market for handbags
- Check out the nightlife in Phuket Town or Patong (a 25-minute drive)
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Horse riding
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
Children are welcome and there are larger suites which can host families. Note that children under 16 are not permitted in the villas.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The 2-bedroom Pool Lofts and 3-bedroom Pool Villas are best for families: both have private pools, additional bedrooms for children and kitchens; the latter also has gardens and a dining room. For families with just one child, we suggest either the Hill View or Garden Suites, which have sofabeds
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool, plus private pools in the villas
Kids Activities nearby:
- Layan beach
- Horse riding
- Boat trips
- Watersports including kayaking and scuba diving
- Airport: 20 minutes
- Shops: 10 minutes