“Luxurious boutique hotel with excellent spa and restaurant set in lush tropical gardens outside Ubud - exceptional design and tempting private pools”
What sets this place apart from Ubud's other offerings is its warm welcome and exceptionally beautiful design. Expect a fusion of traditional and modern. Wood carvings from Java and Timor blend with minimalist white limestone, and cushion-strewn pagodas. We especially liked the pebble-stone flooring, fantastic four-posters and decadent bathrooms. Enjoy the soundtrack of crickets, watch the bees buzz, and gaze at butterflies fluttering across the tropical gardens. We felt we were living in a Rousseau painting.
- Beautifully designed and very private suite and villas; those with private pools feel particularly special
- Exceptional service: the friendly welcoming team really look after you and we felt instantly at home
- Pampering spa, with Ayurveda treatments and striking main pool with lime-cushioned loungers, overlooking the verdant forest
- Ideally located within easy reach of central Ubud - walk or use the hotel's regular free shuttle service
- Excellent fusion food in the restaurant or delivered to your villa
- Don't expect far-reaching views - though the forest backdrop brings you closer to the 'tropical'
- One of the River Villas is located next to the pool and isn’t quite as private as others, though it is convenient for families with children of swimming age
- Some final renovation tweaks are being made to certain rooms, but any construction work will finish imminently
- Though all ages are welcome, the set-up isn't ideal for young children
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Luxury hotel
- 16 suites + villas
- Restaurant + bar
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
- Laundry Service
Despite the resort’s relatively compact footprint, every suite and villa at The Purist feels wonderfully private. Not only that, no two spaces are alike. Each is imbued with a pleasing mix of contemporary flavour and individual characteristics - perhaps alang alang roofs, stone walls, pebbled flooring or use of traditional carvings to blend old and new.
For all-out indulgence and architectural wonderment, the Two-Bedroom Residences can’t be beaten. We stayed in Limason, an ancient teak structure revived by statuesque glass panels, and were blown away by its beautiful styling and grand proportions. The circular rose quartz-hued granite bathtub was big enough to swim laps in, but there was no need thanks to the stunning infinity pool outside.
In fact, most villas have their own pool. Of these, we felt the spacious yet super-private Jungle Pool Villas and Bamboo Pool Villas were particularly suited to couples.
Note that Garden Suites and River Villas lack pools, but with 2 shimmering communal pools nearby this is no great hardship. Regardless, all bathrooms are stunning with solid stone freestanding tubs and basins or, in the case of River Villa 1, an enormous open-air rainshower.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Fresh fruit
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
Ubud is renowned for its tempting restaurants, and The Purist's Balisimo is no exception. Overlooking the main pool, it serves up fresh and tasty east-meets-west fusion dishes on a daily basis. The chic décor and peaceful setting lend themselves to romantic candlelit dinners, during which dishes might include crusted coconut prawns and baby pork ribs, followed by chai-spiced crème brûlée.
Come morning, we were blown away by the creative and indulgent breakfasts. Refreshing watermelon juice alongside healthy fruit, yoghurt, granola, chia and honey followed by a richly spiced corn cake with roasted tomato, ripe avocado, smoked salmon and lemon dressing. If you’ve got a big appetite, the hearty ‘American Breakfast’ is a must. Expect everything from fresh fruit with yoghurt to a tasty bread selection and cooked eggs with bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes. You can also enjoy daily afternoon teas and make use of a full room service menu.
Beyond the resort, Ubud’s myriad offerings await. The team can make recommendations and book tables - you'll be spoilt for choice.
- Children's meals
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Meal delivery service
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Take the shuttle or stroll into Ubud to visit some of the temples, yoga houses and museums
- While there, shop til you drop! Ubud is renowned for its markets, antiques and homewares
- Unwind at the resort's spa with a couple of Balinese or Ayurvedic treatments. The therapists can knead, squeeze and rub you into total bliss
- Chill with a cocktail by one of the two main infinity pools, heaven after a morning in bustling Ubud
- Borrow a bike and explore the tropical surroundings - the rice terraces are beautiful (especially at sunrise), and kids will love the monkey forest
- Try a dance or cooking class, take an elephant safari, learn how to batik paint or ask reception to book you mountain climbing, trekking and rafting expeditions
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Art classes
- Cooking classes
- Dance Classes
- Historical sites
- Mountain biking
- Museums / galleries
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
Children are very welcome; there are no real communal play areas beyond your villa but staff are very friendly.
Babies (0-1 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Hill Pool Villas are the best choice for families with 1 double bedroom, 1 twin bedroom and a private pool; the Two-Bedroom Residences can also sleep 4 although their layouts are better suited to older children.
Babysitters can be arranged.
Smaller kids' portions are available.
Kids Activities nearby:
The monkey forest nearby is good to explore, as is a stroll through the paddy fields and birdwatching.
Families Should Know:
The main infinity pool drops over an edge into the jungle all ages should be carefully supervised. The canal 'river' can fill quickly and flow vigorously in the wet months.
- Airport: 1 hour
The Purist Villas & Spa is on the outskirts of Ubud, a 30-minute walk from the bustling centre.
Fly into Bali's Denpasar Ngurah Rai Airport (47km). You could also fly to Jakarta then travel overland or on a connecting flight to Denpasar. The Purist can arrange transfers from the airport.
There are frequent boats between Bali and the major islands in Indonesia, including Java, Lombok and Komodo. You can then catch a bemo (minibus) from the port to Ubud, where someone from the hotel will meet you.
Taxis are plentiful and The Purist offers daily shuttles in and out of Ubud. Staff can also arrange day trips and excursions to suit requirements.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Bali and getting around
- Denpasar Ngurah Rai 47.0 km DPS
- Beach 40.0 km
- Shops 0.8 km
- Restaurant 0.8 km