“A brand new spa hotel set amongst cinnamon plantations, with villa-style accommodation and fresh fusion food; near beaches and Galle”
Interiors are stylish and minimalist - a contemporary take on Sri Lankan design, characterised by deep open verandas, honey-coloured timber furnishings and wall-mounted Balinese basketry. The hotel’s rural setting is extremely tranquil and as you relax on kingsize daybeds beneath swaying coconut palms, birdsong serenades you. It’s a welcome respite from the busier coastal areas yet these are all still very easily accessible. Spend a morning exploring atmospheric Galle Fort or spotting wildlife on the serene Gin Ganga River, then retreat back to Wirdana for an indulgent massage, scrub or Tibetan ‘singing bowl’ meditation.
- Wonderfully peaceful setting, yet close to Sri Lanka's south-coast beaches and 8.5km from Galle
- Good value
- Atmospheric spa offering simple treatments and 'singing bowls' therapy - a Tibetan ritual unique to the hotel
- Inventive Asian fusion dishes are fresh, tasty and beautifully presented
- Staff are very helpful, friendly and keen to help you make the most of your stay
- Relying on tuk tuks (or own transport) is essential as the hotel is located inland
- Bedroom curtains are quite sheer but blackout curtains are available on request
- Hot water pressure in the showers is a little low although the hotel is trying to rectify this
- The minimalist styling might not be to everyone's taste
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique hotel with villas
- 6 villas + 2 hotel bedrooms
- Restaurant and bar open daily
- Best for 6+ year olds
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
- Laundry service
The 6 free-standing modernist villas sit in a separate walled garden to the pool and restaurant. Each villa is identical, offering 4 bedrooms (2 kingsize and 2 twins), 2 open-air shower bathrooms, a spacious open-plan living room, a pantry and a dining veranda. Couples and families can book a villa at reduced rates if not using all the bedrooms.
We loved the calming earthy colour schemes and the simplicity of timber furnishings, cement floors and built-in shelving. Bedrooms are spacious, with air conditioning and ceiling fans for keeping cool, and French windows for direct access to the garden. The TV in the lounge feels a little out of place given that the main focus of the hotel is relaxation, but it is insignificantly small.
Couples or solo travelers should request one of the 2 Spa Rooms (book early). Located within the main spa building, each has a double garden-view bedroom with ensuite shower bathroom.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
The menu goes beyond the typical Asian-inspired options, making good use of the region’s fragrant spices and fresh seafood, as well as European influences. Presentation is beautiful, with many dishes served artistically on wooden boards. Meals can be served in the privacy of your villa or at the breezy, open-sided restaurant with views over the pool and garden.
For breakfast (included in your room rate), there's a spread of tropical fruit, buffalo curd and honey, plus fruit juice and a smoothie. This can be enlarged with additional elements such as Wirdana’s unique take on eggs Benedict, or perhaps coconut roti with curries and a tomato and chilli sambol.
There’s a wide menu for lunch, and many dishes are based around filled wontons, samosas and dumplings accompanied by dipping sauces. More substantial options include sandwiches and grilled fish served with lightly dressed piles of fresh salad. In the evening, a set menu is typically served though à la carte is available on request. Most meals are Western, though they also put on Sri Lankan-themed dinners.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Room service
- Make use of the hotel’s lovely spa, and try a singing bowls meditation session, which you won’t find anywhere else in Sri Lanka
- Pitiwella Beach is within walking distance, but better alternatives are Galle’s eastern beaches or those in surf-orientated Hikkaduwa
- Take a few hours to explore Galle Fort with its maze-like streets, which are flanked by centuries-old buildings, cafés and one-of-a-kind boutiques
- Take a boat trip up the serene Gin Ganga River to glimpse local wildlife, or head to the nearby Rathgama Lagoon
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
- Whale watching
The hotel is well set up for families given that most of the rooms are in 4-bedroom villas. The staff are very amenable to kids and the kitchen has a flexible approach to dining so guests can take meals on the veranda of their villa; chef can customise and personalise dishes upon request. However, this is a spa hotel with a calm setting, so probably most suitable for older children.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
The villas are ideal for families, accommodating up to 8 people in 2 kingsize bedrooms and 2 twin bedrooms
With advance notice
Baby cot, high chair
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
Badminton, volleyball, board games
Kids Activities nearby:
Surfing, snorkelling, whale watching (seasonal), guided boat trips and bicycle rides
Families Should Know:
Villas have lots of hard surfaces and edges. The grounds are walled though the swimming pool is not fenced off.
- Beach: 0.5km
- Airport: 148km (Colombo)
- Hospital: 7km (Galle)