“Boutique Berber-style hotel with stunning interiors and peaceful gardens, in a tiny village 20km south of Marrakech”
Built from traditional Berber materials - earth bricks, tadelakt plaster, palm-tree beams - the 9 standalone bedrooms and central main house are an exquisite mix of elegance and simplicity. From the vintage fabrics to the tribal artworks, you'll want to take everything home. Day trip to the Marrakech medina, explore Oumnas's ancient kasbah, take a quad-bike around the nearby lake or meet donkeys at the local sanctuary... whatever you do it's always a joy to return to the shady pool and a delicious home-cooked dinner, surrounded by candles and a chorus of cicadas. We can't wait to visit this special place.
- Wonderful rural location within easy access of Marrakech; a tranquil place to return to after a morning's sight-seeing
- Just 9 beautifully styled, spacious bedrooms; traditional yet sophisticated with plenty of designer touches
- Relaxing in the huge gardens, surrounded by olive trees and cacti, with views of the Atlas mountains and a peaceful pool for cooling off
- The food sounds delicious: Mediterranean-Moroccan set menus
- Heartfelt hospitality; owner Romain ensures guests are treated like friends
- Meals are set menus; let staff know if you have dietary requirements
- There's not much in the way of entertainment, and no TVs; guests come here to unwind and enjoy the countryside
- Don't expect 5-star hotel facilities: showers can be lukewarm and WiFi is only available in reception
- The lodge is tucked away down a bumpy road and tricky to find; be sure to bring our detailed directions or book an airport transfer
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Breakfast + other meals on request
- All ages welcome
- Closed: July
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
Designed to feel like a traditional Berber village, the 9 individual lodges are set around a central house, surrounded by courtyards and pretty, semi-arid gardens. The style throughout is effortlessly chic. Earthy tones from the natural materials - rattan rocking chairs, sisal matting, grass lampshades - are tastefully combined with hand-knotted vintage rugs, mid-century French furniture and African objets d'art. Simple yet sophisticated, it's authentic Morocco seen through a contemporary European eye.
Each adobe lodge is exceptionally spacious with a generous living area with fireplace, kingsize beds, a beautifully designed bathroom of marble and tadelakt and a shady private terrace or garden. Deluxe Lodges have an additional single bed, and there's a 2-bedroom Family Lodge, sleeping up to 4 guests.
In the main house, the softly lit lounge features cosy nooks for reading and a roaring fire for chilly evenings. There's a library, dining area and a little bar, and out by the pool large kilim cushions are scattered beneath the trees.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Safe box
The home-cooked cuisine is some of the best you'll find on your holiday, with ingredients from the organic garden or sourced locally from Marrakech. For much of the year, meals are served outside in the garden: shaded by olive trees in the heat of the day, surrounded by candles at night. It's a wonderfully romantic setting.
There's no menu, but you'll feast on incredibly fresh, seasonal dishes. Breakfast is a simple affair of fresh coffee and orange juice, Moroccan pancakes or omelettes, with jam, honey and French butter. Lunch might be a Mediterranean-style barbecue and salad, or a light dish with French and Middle Eastern influences. Dinners are more traditionally Moroccan with aromatic spices and intriguing flavours - perhaps chicken tagine with quince and peaches or grilled fish with Berber couscous. You'll also have entrées and desserts, and can wash it all down with surprisingly decent local red wine. There's a small restaurant in the village, but eating in is definitely best.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Restaurants nearby
- Room service
- Laze by the jade-coloured pool in the shade of olive trees, surrounded by beautiful gardens
- Wander into the village of Oumnas with its lovely donkey sanctuary and beautiful old kasbah
- Spend a morning at Lake Takerkoust (17km); hire a pedalo or kayak, enjoy a walk along the many trails, or take an exhilarating quad-bike tour
- Explore Marrakech with its fascinating medina, busy souks and Djemaa el Fna square; visit one of the gardens and palaces, and check out the Musée Yves Saint Laurent - a source of architectural inspiration for Romain
- There are several picturesque golf courses within 20km of the lodge
- Head to Toubkal National Park (78km/2 hours) for craggy mountains and wild scenery; Jebel Toubkal is Morocco's highest mountain and the surrounding foothills offer fine walks
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Private guided tours
- Quad biking
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
Berber Lodge is family-friendly and staff go out of their way to make kids feel welcome. There aren't any children's meals, but if you've got fussy eaters just have a chat with the kitchen and they'll happily rustle up some pasta or whatever they have in stock. Little ones will love the garden and pool, exploring the nearby kasbah and visiting the local donkey sanctuary. Older kids might enjoy horse riding or quad biking, arranged by the lodge. All will love day trips to Marrakech's exotic medina.
Family friendly accommodation:
The Family Lodge is ideal with a canopy bed in the main space and an additional bedroom with 2 single beds; just be aware that the bathroom is shower only. If a bath is important and you don't mind sleeping in the same room, opt for one of the Deluxe Lodges which have a kingsize and a single bed, plus space for an extra single bed if needed. All rooms are exceptionally spacious with private terraces and garden access, and all rooms can fit a baby cot.
Kids Activities on site:
Swimming pool (unheated)
Kids Activities nearby:
Horse riding, quad biking
Families Should Know:
The pool is not fenced
- Airport: 30 mins' drive (Marrakech)
- Shop: 20 mins' drive
- Hospital: 30 mins' drive (Marrakech)
Berber Lodge is in the small village of Oumnas, in the foothills of the Atlas Mountains. It's a half-hour drive south of Marrakech.
Fly to Marrakech Menara airport (25km). From here, we recommend organising a private transfer, as the lodge is a tucked away up a rough track and taxis may struggle to find it. The lodge can also arrange taxis for day trips so you don't need your own car.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Marrakech Menara 25.0 km MAR
- Beach 160.0 km
- Shops 2.0 km
- Restaurant 2.0 km