A beautiful and historic retreat with bags of style; expect luxurious rooms, amazing food and heaps of fun for all the family”
The retreat features 17 rustic-luxe rooms (many of which can be interconnected), beautifully presented home-cooked food, and a whole host of activities for all. Try pasta- or pizza-making and pick your own ingredients from the veg patch, borrow bikes and ride over the hills to pretty villages, and sample the region’s delectable wines and olive oils. Or just bliss out by the pool and gorge on amazing three-course dinners, served every evening. Come in spring or autumn for cycling, walking, yoga or food; or in the summer holidays for family fun: kids' film screenings, arts and crafts, treasure hunts - all completely free of charge! This is an absolute gem of a find for families.
- A rustic retreat with very smart rooms that come at surprisingly affordable prices
- Delicious-looking food that's served all day and incorporates homegrown organic ingredients
- A dream for families: free kids’ activities run in school holidays, lots of rooms interconnect, the swimming pool is fenced, meal plans are available
- This part of Umbria is unspoilt, rich in culture and great for foodies; come for truffle hunting, wine tasting, local festivals, and scenic walks/cycle routes
- Couples and solo travellers might be put off visiting in July/August, when the retreat is geared more towards families
- This is a rural location, so you’ll need a car to explore and to reach amenities (restaurants, shops etc)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Retreat
- 17 rooms
- Restaurant and bar
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
The design of the 17 rooms is a tasteful juxtaposition of old and new, with original stone walls and beamed ceilings mixed with contemporary furniture pieces and soft colours. Stylistic features include natural wood and stone, cream woven rugs, moody blue colour schemes, hanging lamps and four-poster beds.
The rooms are split into four categories, determined according to their size. Regular is the smallest (25m2), featuring a kingsize bed, a seating area for two and an ensuite shower bathroom. Excellent is larger (35m2) but comes with the same features. Superior is extremely spacious (45m2), and some rooms have bathtubs in their ensuites. Family is the largest, with space for two or three single/bunk beds for kids. Many rooms can also interconnect to make a family suite with two bedrooms and two bathrooms.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
Food is a big part of life here. Breakfast is included and is suitably indulgent. Choose from a selection of just-baked breads, pastries, homemade granola, and plates of cold meats and cheeses. Tea and coffee is free throughout the day.
You can choose to eat lunch and dinner in, too. It’s a set price for each, and no two meals are the same. Expect lots of local ingredients, organic produce, fresh vegetables from the garden and perfectly crisp pizzas. Dietary requirements can be catered for.
Dining takes place on a lovely sunny terrace, and there’s an outside bar for drinks whenever you please. Picnic hampers are available if you want to take lunch out with you. The region is famous for truffles, olive oil and wine, and the hotel hosts regular tastings. If you want to try cooking your own Italian meal with guidance from the chef, just ask!
- Children's meals
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Organic produce
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- This is a beautiful region for walking and cycling, so head out to explore hilltop villages and leafy trails. Borrow a map or ask for recommended routes
- Soak up traditional Umbrian life in the surrounding hill towns. All have enough to keep you busy for the day - Perugia, Assisi, Spoleto, Norcia and - our favourite - Gubbio. More intimate are Montefalco, Bevagna, Spello, Trevi and Bettona
- Head south towards Trevi to see the spectacular Marmare Falls. Created in Roman times, it’s the tallest man-made waterfall in the world
- Adventure activities in the area include rafting, wind surfing, horseback riding and hang gliding – ask staff to help with arrangements
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Language courses
- Truffle hunting
- Wine tasting
This really is a wonderful retreat for parents who want to be spoilt just as much as their children. The retreat oozes style, tranquillity and sophistication, and yet there’s heaps to keep youngsters busy. Come in school holidays to make the most of the extra activities for children. Meanwhile, you can kick back with a vino or have a long, lazy lunch in the sunshine.
Family friendly accommodation:
There are nine family rooms and suites, each sleeping four or five guests. Some are made up interconnecting rooms, so you get two bedrooms (one double, one twin) and two bathrooms. All rooms have ample space for families to spread out in.
- Baby bath
- High chair
- Kids books / toys
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Games room
- Swimming pool (fenced)
- Cooking / pizza making
- Wildlife spotting
- Kids animation (school holidays)
- Outdoor cinema (school holidays)
- Treasure hunts (school holidays)
- Arts & crafts (school holidays)
Kids Activities nearby:
- Activo park
- Città della Domenica theme park
- Horse riding and acrobatics in Colle Umberto
- La Scarzuola architectural complex
- Airport: 40 mins
- Hospital: 40 mins
- Supermarket: 10 mins
Borgo Castello Panicaglia is close to the village of Nocera Umbra, near Perugia, in eastern Umbria.
The nearest airport is Perugia (40km). Rome, Florence and Bologna airports are 2.5 to 3 hours away.
From the Airport
Airport transfers are available, or hire a car (see below).
The hotel is in a rural location so we’d recommend hiring a car to help you explore the area - see our car rental recommendations.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Perugia 40.0 km PEG
- Rome 216.0 km FCO
- Beach 80.0 km
- Shops 5.0 km
- Restaurant 5.0 km