“Vintage-chic cottage for 6-8 with beautiful styling inside, an infinity pool outside, an add-on garden studio, and panoramic coastal views”
Inside, they feel like antiques emporiums, with scattered vintage pieces, mounted oil paintings and battered leather armchairs. A distressed-wood grandfather clock stands in the Cottage dining room, apothecary drawers in its living room. This eclectic mix of styles - country cottage, New England home, North African souk – blends in perfect harmony. In fact, guests commented on the interiors so often that owner Liz decided to set up her own online shop featuring a handpicked selection of her treasures.
Guests at the Cottage get access to a showstopping infinity pool as well as a hot tub and tennis court. There’s a vegetable garden for pick-your-own produce, and a Scandi-style pool house with wetsuits and bodyboards to borrow. Take them down to the beach with you - Porthilly Cove is within walking distance. There’s no end of activities for families here: cycling, walking, surfing, birdwatching. We can’t wait to take ours.
- Very stylish interiors featuring a curated collection of antiques, vintage pieces, woven fabrics and portrait paintings
- Set within 14 acres of landscaped gardens with gorgeous views of the Camel Estuary
- It works well for families, with 1-2 twin rooms, a well-equipped kitchen, mod cons, shared access to a swimming pool and tennis court, and a beach within walking distance
- The smart village of Rock (five-minute drive) has Michelin restaurants, white sandy beaches and lots of watersports; the South West Coast Path passes nearby
- The outdoor facilities (pool, tennis court, hot tub) are shared with the owner who lives next door
- Saturday-Saturday bookings only in peak months
- It's located on the outskirts of the village (Rock); you’ll want a car for getting here and for exploring
- The Studio is essentially an add-on to the Cottage; it can only be booked on its own in winter (and without access to the facilities)
- Note that the pool is open from May-October
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique rental (for 2-8)
- 4-bed cottage & 1-bed studio
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Heated Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Tennis Court
The ground floor of the cottage has an open-plan kitchen/dining area, a living room with log burner (firewood provided), a study, a utility room, and a TV room that doubles up as a twin bedroom if needed. Upstairs, there are three ensuite bedrooms (two double, one twin/double), each with down bedding, White Company linen, and Balance Me toiletries.
Loaded with antiques, each room has a different style: the master bedroom has a coastal theme with dazzling pops of blue, the kitchen and dining room take on more of a New England vibe, the TV room is very twee country cottage. But you get plenty of mod cons, too, including a Rayburn cooker, a Sonos music system, a PS4, and three television screens.
Outside, there’s a terrace with outdoor furniture, plus gas and charcoal barbecues for summer months. You also get full use of the landscaped gardens, plus access to the infinity pool (May-Oct only; heated) with a pool deck, hot tub and views over the estuary.
The garden Studio is ideal for couples in the off-season, or for anyone requiring a bit more space alongside the Cottage (for example, if you want to use the downstairs room as a TV room). With just one bedroom (queensize double) and a beamed canopy ceiling, it's cosy, charming and secluded. The living space has a kitchenette with stove, fridge and dishwasher, plus a small dining table for two. There’s also an ensuite WC and shower room. Outside, you get your own little terrace with a bistro table, and an adjacent patio with sea views. We think it would suit grandparents, a nanny or a self-sufficient teenager.
In both properties, a welcome pack with tea, coffee, homemade jam, granola, freshly baked bread and cake, butter, milk and eggs is provided, along with basic essentials. For supplies, there’s a Spar in Rock or a Tesco in Wadebridge. Most supermarkets deliver. A shopping service, meal deliveries and private chefs can all be arranged on request – just ask owner Liz for details.
- Hit the beach: Porthilly Cove is a 10-minute walk away, Polzeath is a short drive away; both are sandy and lovely
- Wander in to Rock, a smart village with a few shops (including a fishmonger, butcher and deli), a bakery (excellent Cornish pasties), two coastal pubs and an excellent golf course (St Enodoc's)
- Take the ferry from Rock to Padstow, a much-loved Cornish town with cobbled streets, excellent restaurants and tempting boutiques
- Try a watersport of your choice: sailing, surfing, waterskiing, banana boat rides, wakeboarding and paddleboarding can all be done nearby
- Hike a section of the South West Coast Path, which runs right past the property
- Hire bikes and cycle the beautiful, flat and mostly car-free Camel Trail, which runs along a disused riverside railway line from Bodwin to Padstow
This is a great place for families. The Cottage sleeps up to eight guests, and you can rent out the Studio too if you need more space - for a teenager or grandparents, perhaps. There’s a whole 14 acres of grounds for playing in, lots of sandy beaches nearby (one is walkable), a tennis court on site, and a heated swimming pool (open May-Oct). For rainy days, the Cottage has a stack of books, toys, DVDs and games, plus a TV room with a PS4. No child will be bored here!
Family friendly accommodation:
The Cottage has two twin bedrooms - one upstairs with an ensuite, one downstairs with an adjoining shower room.
- Travel cot
- High chair
- Kids' books and toys
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Heated swimming pool
- Tennis court (coaching available on request)
- PlayStation & Sky TV
- Board games
- Kids wetsuits plus buckets and spades
Kids Activities nearby:
- Beaches for swimming and sandcastling
- Watersports: waterskiing, banana boats, sailing, surfing
- Cycling the Camel Trail (an easy, car-free route)
- The Eden Project (50-min drive)
- Tintagel castle (40-min drive)
- The Blue Reef Aquarium in Newquay (40-min drive)
- Dairyland Farm Park and Trerice Manor (35-min drive)
- Airport: 35 mins
- Hospital: 45 mins
- Supermarket: 5 mins
Camel Estuary Hideaway is located just outside Rock, on the north Cornwall coast in southwest England.
The nearest airport is Newquay; Exeter and Bristol are larger airports, and all are an easy drive away. Although it would be possible to take a taxi from Newquay, you'll want to hire a car for this rural area. There's free on-site parking.
Bodmin and Newquay have train stations (four hours from London, two hours from Bristol).
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Newquay 31.0 km NQY
- Exeter 134.0 km EXT
- Beach 2.3 km
- Shops 1.8 km
- Restaurant 1.8 km