The main house centres on a double-height dining room with a glass roof, which is where guests eat their breakfast buffet. There’s a small pool in the courtyard and a blue-and-white-tiled rooftop where you can sunbathe, have massages or enjoy early-morning yoga sessions. You get your own key to the house so can come and go as you please, but there's usually someone around to offer advice and recommendations on where to go.
- Excellent value
- A quiet location in a locals' town, allowing you to dip in to the touristy parts of the island (you're 15 minutes from beaches and Valletta)
- A warm welcome and a family feel that give a home-from-home atmosphere
- Colourful furnishings from all over the world
- A historic building with lots of character
- A 3-night minimum stay
- No bar and be aware this is a B&B rather than a full-service hotel
- One room is accessed by a spiral staircase; enquire for more information
- A work in progress, the second house is still evolving
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique B&B
- 8 rooms
- Breakfast only (restaurants nearby)
- Ages 6+ welcome
- Closed: rarely
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car not necessary
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- TV room
With furnishings from the owners’ international travels, the suites are full of lovely pieces from Indonesia, Dubai and Morocco. High ceilings and large windows allow light to flood in, and walls and floors are made from local sandstone.
Of the Deluxe Suites, the new-build Emerald is our top choice, it's on the rooftop and comes with high-beamed ceilings, a small private terrace at the back, bright walls covered in Veneziano plaster, and a shower bathroom. For a bathtub, go for Yellow or Red, which also has a small balcony. The 50.sq.m Violet Deluxe Suite has a bedroom and sitting room with a double sofabed so is best for families, but is accessed via a wrought-iron spiral staircase, so pack lightly!
Since our visit, a collection of individually themed Superior Suites have been added next door to the main house. We're yet to personally view them, but they offer striking design and individuality.
- In room treatments available
A buffet breakfast is laid on every morning, and you can eat in the bright dining room at the 12-seater table, or at one of the tables by the pool. The spread includes homemade jams, warm rolls, fresh fruit, delicious date pastries and local hams and cheeses, plus fresh juice and cafetiere coffee. Cooked options are available on request.
For other meals, there are plenty of eating choices in the town, or in surrounding towns and villages. Chapel 5 offer discounts at various restaurants in the vicinity, and can recommend places.
- Restaurants nearby
- Stroll around Naxxar, admiring its characterful old houses
- The almost-adjoining village of Mosta is famous for its huge domed church, which is well worth a visit. In WWII a bomb fell right through the roof but didn't explode
- Malta is so small that you can visit everywhere with ease. You’re a short drive from the hilltop town of Mdina and the catacombs of Rabat; the beaches on the northwest coast; lovely Dingli cliffs, and the mesmerising maritime cityscape of Valletta, the Grand Harbour and the Three Cities
- You’re equally near the beaches of Melieha and Armier, as well as the watersport facilities along this stretch of coast and Malta’s wonderful National Aquarium
- Take a boat trip to Gozo, to Comino's lagoon or around the island; you're well placed for the ferry port
- There are early-morning yoga sessions on the rooftop every Thursday, and guests receive a complimentary 30-minute massage during the stay (1 per room)
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Horse riding
- Mountain biking
- Museums / galleries
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
- Well being
Children aged 6+ are welcome.
Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
The Violet Deluxe Suite is best for families, with a double bedroom and lounge area with a double sofabed. All other suites can fit a rollaway bed (though space will be tight); we recommend Emerald, on the rooftop, as it has a small terrace area.
Extra Beds Available
Chapel 5 is in the medieval town of Naxxar, in the north of Malta, tucked away in a quaint alleyway just off the charming street of St Lucy.
Fly into Luqa (Valletta) airport; click on the links below for a list of airlines. From here, it's a short drive, bus or taxi journey (13km), which will take around 20 minutes depending on traffic.
You could cope without a car here as local buses are so good, heading to everywhere on the island from Naxxar. But car hire is cheap, and useful for when you want to explore - see our car rental recommendations. You can park on the street for free.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Malta
- Luqa (Valletta) 13.0 km LUQ
- Beach 12.0 km
- Shops 0.2 km
- Restaurant 0.2 km