“A beautiful, chic haven, set in converted farmhouses in a quiet Gozo village”
Despite spanning just 14km in length and 7km at its widest point, there’s plenty to do on and around Gozo: golden beaches, sea-cliff walks, diving, boats to the azure Blue Lagoon, and daytrips to Malta, but it’s ever so tempting to just chill out and enjoy Patti and Giuseppe’s warm hospitality instead...
- Great location in a sweet, sleepy village, with restaurants nearby and close to beautiful landscapes and glorious seacliffs
- Ten characterful, gorgeous rooms
- Massages in the small treatment room and great homemade meals on request
- Patti and Giuseppe have lots of local knowledge and can arrange boat trips for you
- Wonderful for a romantic escape
- Guests are not permitted to bring food and drink onto the premises; refreshments can be provided but guests may consider them to be expensive
- Can be tricky to find, but worth it once you arrive
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Guesthouse
- Breakfast (+ other meals on request)
- All ages welcome (some restrictions apply)
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
There are 10 rooms and suites split between the original guesthouse and Thirtyseven.two, a newer addition.
Thirtyseven’s original guesthouse has 4 rooms and suites. The Shanghai Junior Suite is a separate poolside bungalow with a private rooftop terrace, and beautiful Chinese-styled decor. Barambura (‘pigeon coop’) has alcoves in the walls - hence the name. The Palm Room and The Garden suite have pared-down decor, and both open onto private patio gardens filled with a blaze of plant colour, so these would be our top choices.
Thirtyseven.two was the second farmhouse to be converted (added in 2013), and its rooms are larger and sleeker, with a more contemporary style. Ulysseus, the only single room, is located next to Calypso, which adjoin so could be great for a family. The cave-like Ghawdex has a romantic feel and opens onto the pool terrace. The Colonial Suite has 2 single Keralan-teak, four-poster beds (and a grand bathroom) while the minimalist, airy Tokyo Penthouse has a terrace with breath-taking views. The pick is the chic Loft Suite, where a glass wardrobe separates the bed from the sofas (although there’s no outdoor space).
Each wing has its own pool and lounge (couples are often in one wing and families in the other to maintain the 'right' atmosphere).
- Air conditioning
- Beach baskets
- Beach towels
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Safe box
- Straw hats
The continental breakfast is rich in delicious local produce: cheeses, meats, pastries, just-squeezed juices teas and coffees (hot options and espresso incur a surcharge). Each wing has a winter dining room with a long glass table and chic, bright chairs under an exposed-stone arched ceiling. But whenever it’s warm enough, which is often, everyone eats at thirtyseven.two's outdoor dining area.
No other meals are formally served, but they are available on request. Patti is a great cook, specialising in Mediterranean, Italian, Moroccan and Asian cuisine. Note, guests are asked not to bring food and drink from exterior sources onto the premises.
There are some great restaurants dotted around Gozo - as it’s so small, it’s easy to reach anywhere on the island. Patti and Giuseppe offer plenty of excellent recommendations.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Restaurants nearby
- Relax by the pool or book a massage in the small treatment room
- Head to Xlendi for walks, swimming in the sea, and scuba diving in crystal-clear waters
- Take a day trip to the beautiful, barren island of Comino and swim in the Blue Lagoon
- Wander along the cliff tops at Ta’Cenc and enjoy the thrilling sunset views, or explore the wonderful countryside of Gozo by taking a coastal walk on one of the island’s many winding paths
- Laze on the beaches at red-sand Ramla and San Blas bays
- Visit Xaghra’s mysterious Ggantija Temples. There are some very good restaurants here, too; ask Patti for her recommendations
- Head to Victoria to see its walled citadel, polychrome-floored cathedral and fascinating Museum of Archaeology
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Cooking classes
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Scuba diving
- Well being
Children of all ages are welcome and but other than the pool there is nothing to keep them entertained. We think the hotel is better suited to older children as the atmosphere is very peaceful and grown-up.
Babies (0-1 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Although most rooms can hold baby cots or extra beds, we recommend the suites as they are more spacious. Note that Patti and Guiseppe will assign families to the wing which they think will best suit them at the time of booking; couples will be placed in the other wing to maintain a romantic atmosphere. Families with older kids should request the Calypso and Ulysseus rooms as they are next door to each other. The Loft is not suitable for children.
Families Should Know:
Some rooms are not suitable for younger kids as they contain a lot of glass or delicate ornaments, advice will be given on enquiry
Thirtyseven Gozo is on the small island of Gozo, 6km off Malta and currently only accessible by ferry. The Maltese islands lie 93km south of Sicily and 288km north of Africa.
Fly to Malta International Airport, then take public transport or drive to reach Gozo.
By Public Transport
There are express buses from the airport to Malta's ferry port at Cirkewwa, from which you take the ferry (25 minutes) to the Gozitan port of Mgarr. See Gozo Channel for timetables. From here there are taxis and buses.
We recommend hiring a car to explore during your stay, it's a 45-minute drive from Malta airport to the ferry port and, once you reach Gozo, there's plenty of free parking in the village.
You can also reach Malta by catamaran from Sicily, a 1.5-hour journey. See Virtu Ferries. You'll then need to take the ferry to Gozo.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Malta
- Malta International (Luqa) 30.0 km MLA
- Beach 4.0 km
- Shops 0.5 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km