Design-lovers will adore these amazing architectural conversions (6 self-catering apartments sleeping 2-8 apiece)”
All are decorated with a changing selection of art by local artists; furniture includes beautiful mid-century vintage pieces. In the townhouse there's a communal kitchen and terrace upstairs, and each of the bedrooms has a private roof terrace dotted by design classics such as Verner Panton chairs. We've yet to see the latest additions but note that the eclectic maisonette has a salvaged marble-topped table acting as kitchenette plus a hexagonal tiled floor, while the pied a terre boasts a conservatory-style bathroom along with a sunny breakfast balcony. Unique.
- For couples who appreciate art, beautiful design, meticulous attention to detail and fantastic use of colour, with a vintage twist
- Very good value: designer looks at affordable prices
- In charming residential streets of Unesco-listed Valletta, or the serene old fortified city of Birgu (Hideout)
- All townhouse rooms have large south-facing roof terraces with deckchairs and glorious views across the periwinkle-blue waters of the harbour and golden-walled Fort St Elmos
- No need for a car. The city is easy to navigate on foot, and you can bus/ferry to beaches, the Three Cities and Gozo
- No room service, no maid service (though it can be arranged at an extra cost) and limited reception hours; you're very much left to your own devices (though some will prefer this)
- Only Doma is suitable for younger children, but there are many stairs so you'll need to keep an eye on them
- Retropad is in a different building to the other apartments and has no outside space
- Hideout is located in Birgu, not Valletta. Birgu is a quieter area (a bonus for some)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Guesthouse
- 6 rooms
- Basic self-catering (restaurants nearby)
- Any age welcome in Doma
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Communal kitchen
This eclectic (and growing) collection of lodgings offers three rooms, two 1-bedroom maisonettes and a 3-bedroom townhouse.
All three rooms have a similar size and layout, and are fantastically lovely. Each has a private slice of terrace on the roof with deckchairs for sunbathing. Library is named after its wall of shelves filled with coffee-table art books; it also has a hammock swinging inside a bright windowed gallery. Atelier was once the architect's workspace; now styled as a mini workshop, it comes with groovy low-slung chairs and a slimline white four-poster bed. We loved our stay in the spacious top-floor studio, Gallery, which has picture-window views over the harbour on all sides, and an original patterned tiled floor set off to perfection by deep grey poured-concrete walls. The bathroom, with its powerful rain shower, is also concrete-coated, with zinging mustard-yellow tiles and a heated towel rail. There's a walk-in wardrobe area, plus a nook with coffee machine, fridge and kettle. Cable TV (an unobtrusive flat-screen) and a selection of DVDs and books make the space feel homely.
If you want more space or independence, the unique Retropad is a one-bedroomed maisonette in a residential street nearby. It comes with the same grey walls, fabulous hexagonal floor tiles and salvaged pieces. Alternatively, over in the fortified medieval town of Birgu (aka Vittoriosa) on the south side of the Grand Harbour, Hideout is a small townhouse - formerly Chris' grandmother's home - with vintage and modern furniture on Maltese tiled floors, a conservatory style shower bathroom beside the new kitchen, and a bedroom and breakfast balcony above.
Families will love Doma, a remodelled 18th-century townhouse with three bedrooms spread across five floors. Expect a similar mix grey-, stone- and white-painted ceilings and eaves, tall curtained windows (mostly overlooking an internal court), super-comfy beds, and a scattering of designer chairs and funky artworks. There's also an enclosed sun-trap terrace with a few sunbeds, an outdoor dining table (and butler's kitchen), and a tiny dipping pool. We can't wait to come and stay here en famille one day.
- Air conditioning
- Beach towels
- Bose sound system
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Complimentary cold drinks
- DVD player
- Satellite TV
In the rooms, you'll find an expresso coffee machine with Illy pods, complimentary water and juices in your fridge, and a kettle for making tea. There's also a shared kitchen and dining area (for guests in Gallery, Library and Atelier).
The maisonettes, fittingly, get kitchenettes. Retropad has a retro Smeg fridge-freezer, and a kitchen constructed atop a vintage marble-topped table with pots and pans underneath and a Belfast sink to one side. Hideout, in contrast, has a new fitted timber and marble kitchen with hot plate, toaster and kettle.
In Doma townhouse, there's a good-sized kitchen upstairs for preparing food; it opens onto a terrace with great views and dining furniture. In the cupboards are all-needed appliances, like pots, pans, knives, etc, as well as salt and pepper, olive oil, and sugar. There's also a small fridge, mini oven/microwave and toaster.
Valletta has some excellent restaurants, and Anna and Chris will give you a booklet with their personal recommendations of eateries and bars, as well as information about the best places to buy food locally if you're looking for supplies.
- Coffee / tea making
- Coffee maker
- Restaurants nearby
- Valletta’s major sights are a short walk away from the rooms and maisonettes: St John’s Co-Cathedral, the Grand Master’s Palace, Renzo Piano's new parliament building and City Gate
- The townhouse, meanwhile, is practically next door to the Fort of St Elmo with its Malta at War museum
- Take a harbour boat tour or ferry trips to Malta's historic Three Cities - Vittoriosa (where Hideout is found), Senglea and Cospicua
- Laze on pretty Golden Bay beach or day trip to Gozo for the picturesque San Blas or Ramla Bay. There are wonderful places to go swimming off the coast, too (including a spot 5 minutes away from the townhouse) - plus some of the best dive sites in Europe
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Museums / galleries
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
Kids of all ages are welcome in Doma townhouse, which has 3 bedrooms (1 of which is twin) and 4 bathrooms. A baby cot and an inflatable mattress are available. Note that there are lots of stairs (and no lift), so all children should be supervised.
The other rooms and maisonettes aren't suitable for young children - all beds are doubles and there are no extra beds, so it would only work for a solo parent travelling with an older child.
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available, Family Rooms
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Families Should Know:
There are many stairs in Doma, so children should be supervised at all times.
- Airport: 16 min drive (Luqa)
- Supermarket: 4 min walk
- Hospital: 15 min drive (Mater Dei)
Except for Hideout, Valletta Vintage is in the heart of Valletta (the capital of Malta), which is a compact city so it's easy to walk around as long as you don't mind hills and steps. The townhouse is close to Fort St Elmo, and the district has a residential, local feel that adds to its charm. Hideout apartment is located in the serene old fortified city of Birgu.
Fly into Luqa (Valletta) Airport (8.5km); click on the links below for a list of airlines serving this airport.
You won't need to hire a car (Valletta Vintage can organise a transfer, or just jump in a taxi), but car hire is cheap for when you want to explore elsewhere on the island - see our car rental recommendations. You can park for free outside the property.
Otherwise there's a network of local buses heading almost everywhere from Valletta (the bus depot is a 10-minute walk from the townhouse).
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.com.
More on getting to Malta
- Luqa (Valletta) Airport 8.5 km MLA
- Beach 1.0 km
- Shops 0.1 km
- Restaurant 0.1 km