“Paradise Found: a gloriously remote location with white sand, organic food, warm hospitality and only 10 rooms”
This is day-to-day living at Corumbau's luxury retreat, a haven of tranquility on the southern tip of Bahia. Miles from civilisation, it's a perfect place to forget the pressures of work and city living. Once a coconut farm, it's simple and extremely beautiful, yet has all you need for the ultimate beach break: the rooms are spacious and elegant, the lagoon pool invigorating, and thanks to the small size of the hotel, the cheery staff will soon know you by name. A stylish, restorative hideaway.
- Its fabulous location, on an unspoilt 15km beach miles from anywhere except the tiny hamlet of Corumbau (meaning 'distant place' in native Pataxo)
- Trails through the mangrove swamps are some of the best preserved in Brazil
- Wonderful food - and stays are on a Full Board basis
- Cruising out to the coral reef in the hotel's schooner as the sun rises over the sea
- The giant pool is so clean and clear you can swim underwater with your eyes wide open
- The fabulous location requires quite a lot of effort to reach: a domestic flight to Porto Seguro then a short plane hop or a 3.5 hour car ride
- You have to cross the road to get to the sea, but only a handful of vehicles pass each day
- There's not a lot to do except bliss out - there are no towns or restaurants nearby except a few makeshift beach bars 1km to the north
- Although the style of the interior design is first class, some of the finishings are slap dash - hardly a deal breaker!
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Beach Resort
- All meals included
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
The 10 rooms are dotted along the seafront under palm trees and each has its own private porch or terrace. There are 3 types of accommodation: 4 standalone Super Deluxe Bungalows and 6 Deluxe Rooms, 2 of which are in the main house, and the remainder split between 2 bungalows.
All have ocean views and are decorated in a clean minimalist style. The furniture is elegant varnished Brazilian wood; the Trousseau towels, bathrobes and linens snowy white, plus there's air con and a ceiling fan to keep things cool. There's a kingsize bed in each, which can be converted to 2 single beds, and an extra bed can be added if you want the room to sleep 3 people.
The vast ensuite bathrooms have deluge showers, but if you splash out on a Super Deluxe Bungalow you also get an enormous sunken tub and a private garden.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Internet access
- Satellite TV
The restaurant is run by chef Teco, who was born and raised in the surrounding area. His food is Brazilian with an international twist: think moqueca baiana (fish and coconut milk stew), lasagna made with pupunha (an Amazonian vegetable), and soufflé de goiabada (guava souffle). All meals are included in the room rate and the seafood is freshly caught each day.
Breakfast is an artfully presented assortment of just-squeezed juices, fresh fruits, breads, cakes, cheeses, ham, tapioca, cereals and cooked eggs.
- Organic produce
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
- Go snorkelling and diving along the 10km reef that leads out from the bay, and swim past startling bright coral and beautiful tropical fish (the hotel has equipment to borrow). Or if you'd prefer to stay above water, try paddle boarding instead.
- If you're here during July-October, take an open-sea trip to spot Jubarte humpack whales, who come to this area to breed and breast-feed their young
- Do a few lazy lengths in the 25m saltwater lagoon pool, or lie on a lounger and get lost in a book
- Have an indulgent treatment or specialised massage in the open-air massage pergoda: choose from lymphatic drainage, Reiki, Thai, Zen-Shiatsu or Tao-Shiatsu
- Wander over the bridge that leads into the mangroves; to some of the best preserved trails in Brazil. These are great for hiking through, or you can borrow a bike to explore
- Visit the Monte Pascoal Indian Reservation and watch a colourful dancing display, then you'll have the opportunity to buy their unique hand-crafted items
- Take a trip on the hotel's schooner boat and soak up the beauty of the area; go up the Corumbau river, visit the beach at Espelho or go snorkelling on the coral reefs at Itacolomi
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Scuba diving
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
- Whale watching
Children are welcome and will love the spaciousness of the resort, as well as the pool, beach and mangroves. However there are some unprotected drops in the main reception room. The hotel can provide extra beds and cots for babies. Children under 3 stay for free if sharing their parents' room. From 4+ they're charged as adults.
Babies (0-1 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Baby cots available on request
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking